FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Porosity on short hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Coiled up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:23am
So, I had recently cut the remainder of my bone straight hair off and found that none of my staples worked for my hair. It seemed as though my new texlaxed head of hair HATED everything I used before. Nothing seemed to moisturize my hair and it was constantly dry no matter what I used. I did a bit of research and after a series of porosity tests, I realized that I had low porosity hair.

My hair exhibited all the symptoms of low porosity and once I realized the problem, I instantly went to work on finding a solution. I had come way too far in my HHJ to have a setback due to dryness! After doing tons of research, I found a natural haired blogger with low porosity hair named Elle and her website is: questfortheperfectcurl.com.

Although my hair is texlaxed, it is very THICK, so my hair tends to like products and methods geared toward natural hair. After reading her HG list, I decided to try some of them to see if it would work for my hair. I also started using a hair steamer (review coming). Let me tell you, her posts saved my hair! Thankfully, her product suggestions totally turned my hair around and I am happy to say that my hair is super moisturized and soft again! I will be reviewing some of my new staples soon.

The main thing to take away from low porosity hair is:
1. You don't need to do cold water rinses, ACV rinses or use Roux porosity control. Those methods/products work to lay down the hair cuticle. With low porosity hair, the cuticles are ALREADY super tight and closed.
2. Avoid heavy proteins. Protein is the last thing low porosity hair needs. You need to concentrate on adding more moisture. I avoid protein laden products now and my hair is thriving. Low porosity hair suffers from protein overload very easily.
3. Use a lighter oil to seal. I use to LIVE by EVOO but found that it just sat on my hair. I now use an oil mix (review coming) that is composed of light oils and ceramides.
4. Keep cones out of your regimen as much as possible and clarify/shampoo often. Low porosity hair has trouble absorbing product, meaning it is very easy to have product build up. Keep your hair clean and avoid products that notoriously cause build up, like mineral oil and cones.
5. Deep condition with heat. Heat forces the cuticle open. This is a good way to get moisture where it is needed. I have found that overnight DCing is not nearly as effective as 30 minutes under my steamer.
6. Use water as much as possible to moisturize. Water penetrates better than any other moisturizer you can use. When my hair is not straight, I moisturize with distilled water and seal.
7. Cowashing is your friend. Since water is the ultimate moisturizer for low porosity hair, try cowashing every other day in place of moisturizing and sealing. This helps avoid buildup and gets water back in your strands.
8. Don't be heavy-handed when moisturizing and sealing. Only use what you need and concentrate most of it on your ends. If you find that you don't need to moisturize and seal daily, it is okay to skip a day!

If you learn to work with low porosity hair and find products that help combat its dryness, then length retention is not a problem. I have several product reviews coming up that have helped me solve my dryness issue and may be helpful for you if you are having the same issue.

Check out my latest post on some updated tips for low porosity hair!

This article is from lovingmyhair.blogspot.com. If this describes you then check it out
Sponsored Links

Coiled up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:28am
Loving MY Hair!
Relaxed Hair CAN be Beautiful too!
Monday, November 12, 2012
Low Porosity Hair....What I Have Learned
Low porosity hair...when I realized that it was the reason my hair was always dry and brittle no matter how much I moisturized and sealed, deep conditioned, and did hot oil treatments, I was relieved....and a bit scared! If it is hard to moisturize low porosity hair, how do you keep it on your head?? I thought my HHJ was over! But I have found that dealing with low porosity hair has been quite easy when you understand porosity, products to avoid and YOUR hair's temperament when it comes to certain ingredients. All this talk about low porosity, but what is it and how do you know if you have low porosity hair? (If you haven't read my first post on low porosity and length retention, take a peek.)

Porosity measures how easily the hair's cuticle absorbs water, products or chemicals. Low porosity hair has a tightly-bound cuticle that does not easily absorb foreign materials. As you can see from the diagram above, moisture (the black arrows), just bounce right off and don't absorb. An advantage to low porosity hair is that it is usually glossy, particularly if the hair is dark. Low porosity hair is also known to be strong and healthy. A disadvantage of low porosity hair is that it is difficult to process -- the hair's shaft is not as receptive to hair dyes and straightening chemicals, for example. If low porosity becomes dry or damaged for any reason, it will be more difficult for it to absorb deep conditioning products. (Excerpt from here)

So, how do you know if you have low porosity hair?
1. First, you do a porosity check. After cleaning your hair, grab a shed strand from your head, brush or comb, and drop it in a glass of water. If the strand takes forever to sink to the bottom (or it doesn't sink at all), then you have low porosity hair.
2. Another test is to take a shower and observe what your hair does. As soon as your hair hits the water, how long it takes for your hair to feel drenched? If it takes a while, it means your hair is less penetrative and you have low porosity hair.
3. When you step out of the shower to dry off, also notice how long it takes your hair to dry. High porosity hair often dries very quickly, while low porosity hair can remain wet for longer than a hour.
(Excerpt from here)

So, what new things have I learned since my last post?
1. Do not eliminate shampoos from your regimen. Because product takes a while to absorb, or may not at all, low porosity hair is notorious for suffering from product buildup and fairly quickly. I shampoo with a sulfate free shampoo every 7 days and I cowash in between.
2. Always apply styling products to hair that is damp, not wet. After washing, your hair holds onto a lot of water and is too full and plump to absorb anything else. If you allow your hair to dry a bit, the strands will release some of that water and be in a perfect state to receive and absorb product. That is why I always t-shirt dry for at least 10 minutes to remove some of the water because it helps a great deal with absorption for low porosity hair.
3. Wet the hair with warm water before you wash and when you rinse. The warm water will help break up some of the buildup you may have accumulated.
4. If you don't have a hooded dryer or steamer, try warming up your conditioner before you apply it. Slap your deep conditioner in the microwave for 5-8 minutes and apply. This will help with product penetration.
5. Another good tip I saw was the types of proteins that can actually HELP low porosity heads. I KNOW, I KNOW...I said avoid proteins but I wasn't wrong. You just have to know WHICH ones to avoid. According to this AWESOME post on the science behind low porosity hair, you should look for hydrolyzed rice, silk, and wheat protein. They have a molecular weight profile that is good for penetrating low porosity hair. However, look out for oat, animal keratin or corn-hydrolyzed proteins as they tend to be too large to penetrate low porosity hair.
6. When DCing with heat, give your hair's cuticles adequate time to rise and allow the conditioner to penetrate. I deep condition with heat for a MINIMUM of 30 minutes. If you can go longer, do it! I find that I get the best and longest lasting moisture and results when I DC for an hour.
7. The same post also says that shampooing with castile soap is good to use on low porosity hair because it raises the cuticle. I have not tried this approach, but just throwing it out there in case you ladies want to try it.

So, these are a few more tips I wanted to share on how my low porosity hair has continued to thrive. If you have low porosity hair and have some tips that I might have missed, please be sure to post them below!
Age in ATL at 4:52
Coiled up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:32am
Cone free condish - info from Hairlista

Abba Crème-Masque Conditioner
Abba Moisture Scensation Conditioner
Abba Nourishing Leave-On Conditioner
Abba Recoup Conditioner
Abba Thickening Conditioner
Abba True Culrs Conditioner
Abba True Curls Activating Tonic
Abba True Shine Conditioner
Abba TruMint Conditioner
Alberto V05 Blushin' Apple conditioner
Alberto V05 Free Me Freesia conditioner
Alberto V05 Extra Body conditioner
Alberto V05 Kiwi and Lime Squeeze conditioner
Alberto V05 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream conditioner
Alberto V05 Peaches & Cream
Alberto V05 Strawberries and Cream
Alberto V05 Sun Kissed Raspberry conditioner
Alberto V05 Tangerine Tickle conditioner
Alberto V05 Tea Therapy Nourishing conditioner
Aloe Desert Herb Revitalizing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing conditioner
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Replenishing conditioner
Aubrey Organics Jojoba
Auntie Rhubarb Moisture Bomb
Aussie Conditioner, Mega for Normal Hair
Australian Organics Extra Body Conditioner for Fine, Limp + Oily Hair
Australian Organics Nourishing Restorative Conditioner for Dry, Colored or Chemically Treated Hair
Australian Organics Replenishing Balancing Conditioner For Normal Hair
Avalon Organic Botanicals Therapeutic Conditioner, Revitalizing Peppermint
Avalon Organic Botanicals Therapeutic Conditioner, Volumizing Rosemary
Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Conditioner
Avalon Organics Conditioner Moisturizing Awapuhi Mango
Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint Treatment Conditioner
Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer
Aveda Rosemary Mint Conditioner
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Daily Benefits
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Moisture Plus
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Volume Plus for Fine Hair
Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In Conditioner, Revitalize
Biolage by Matrix Conditioning Balm
Biolage by Matrix Fortifying Conditioner
Bumble & Bumble Leave-in conditioner
Bumble & Bumble Seaweed conditioner
Carol’s Daughter Khoret Amen Shea Butter Hair Smoothie
Desert Essence Daily Replenishing Tea Tree Conditioner with Organic Tea Tree Oil
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
Elucence Protective Barrier Balm
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment
EO Coco Chamomile & Honey Conditioner
EO French Lavender Conditioner
EO Rosemary & Mint Conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Full Volume Conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Technician Conditioner
Freeman Papaya and Awapuhi, High Tide Volume Conditioner
Freeman Papaya and Lime, Overboard Shine Conditioner
Freeman Papaya and Mango, Massive Moisture 3 Minute
Garnier Fructis (Fine Hair)
Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizer conditioner
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Giovanni Magnetic Restruxturing
Giovanni More Body - Leave-in Hair Thickener
Giovanni Nutrafix (reconstructor)
Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Hemp Enriched Conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Henna Hi-Lites Conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Lavender Conditioner (Organic Hair Strengthening)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Natural Apricot Conditioner (Super Shine)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Natural Biotin Conditioner (Hair Fortifying)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Pure Aloe Vera Conditioner (Hair Soothing)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Rosewater Conditioner (Organic Hair Smoothing)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Natural Sea Kelp Conditioner (Hair Moisturizing)
Jason Natural Cosmetics Scalp Balancing Natural Jojoba Conditioner
Jason Natural Cosmetics Vitamin E with A & C Conditioner (Body Enhancing)
Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner
Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
John Masters Organics Honey & Hibiscus Hair Reconstructor
John Masters Organics Lavender & Avocado Intensive Conditioner
JOICO moisturizer
Kenra Color Maintenance Conditioner
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Kiss My Face Big Body Conditioner, Volumizing
Kiss My Face Miss Treated Conditioner, Replenishing
Le Kair Cholesterol Plus Aloe Formula Conditioner
Living Nature Manuka Nourishing Conditioner
Miessence B5 Hair Repair Leave-in
Miessence Shine Herbal Hair Conditioner
Modern Organic lemongrass Conditioner (fine hair)
Modern Organic Glisten Conditioner (Chemically Treated Hair)
Modern Organic Mixed Greens Conditioner (Normal to Dry Hair)
Morrocco Method Diamond Mist Conditioner
Morrocco Method Volumizer Mist Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Aloe Vera Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Biotin Conditioner Gel
Nature’s Gate Herbal Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Jojoba Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Keratin Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Lavender & Aloe Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Chamomile & Lemon Verbena Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Grapefruit and Wild Ginger Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Lavender & Aloe Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Fruit Blend Persimmon and Rose Geranium Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Tea Tree & Blue Cypress Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Organics Victorian Emerald Cypress Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Awapuhi Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Hemp Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Henna Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Rosemary Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Rainwater Herbal Sea Kelp and Aloe Conditioner
Nature’s Gate Soy Fragrance-Free Conditioner
Nature's Gate Organics Fruit Blend Asian Pear and Red Tea conditioner
Nature's Gate Organics Fruit Blend Mandarin Orange and Patchouli conditioner
Nature's Gate Rainwater Tea Tree Oil conditioner
Nexxus Ensure Acidifying Conditioner & Detangler
Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
No Rinse Hair Conditioner
Organic Excellence Mint Conditioner
Philosophy the big blow off, liquid protein hair conditioner
Prairie Naturals Badlands
Prairie Naturals Chinook
Prairie Naturals Harvestmoon
Progaine Weightless Conditioner
Pro-Vitamin SYSTEME Intensive conditioner repair creme
Pure-A-Teas Green Tea
Pure-A-Teas Lotus
Redken Fresh Curls Conditioner
Regis Design Line Olive Oil Conditioner
Regis Design Line Olive Oil Masque
Sebastian Instant Conditioner
Sebastian Slinky Conditioner
Shikai Color Reflect Daily Moisture Conditioner
Suave Aloe Vera
Suave Juicy Green Apple
Suave Milk and Honey conditioner
Suave Naturals Citrus Smoothie
Suave Naturals Conditioner, Juicy Green Apple
Suave Naturals Conditioner, Tropical Coconut
TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac Conditioner
TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey conditioner
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
Ultra Swim - Ultra Swim Conditioner
Timotei Honey and Monoi Conditioner
Wella Balsam for dry and damaged hair
Wella Flash Flood Hydrating Vitality Blast
Weleda Rosemary Phyto Hair Conditioner
White Rain Energizing Citrus
White Rain Extra Body conditioner
White Rain Jasmine conditioner
White Rain Regular conditioner

Cyclomethicone- evaporate quickly after helping to carry oils into the top layer of epidermis. From there, they may be absorbed by the skin. in other words it helps nutrients enter the hair shaft when used in hair products.

Dimethicone- form a barrier layer on the skin which must be renewed as the skin sheds off. Dimethicones coat the surface of the hair and lubricate it, improving combing providing detangling.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:00am
Girl this is awesome information. Where do parablens fit into this info??
Coiled up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:01am
It means low porosity. I did that same test w room them water then did it with warm water (bcz warm/hot water opens the cuticle) and my hair sunk to the bottom in 10 sec (I counted). So since me & my daughters battle moisture retention it was their was day so I mixed 1c condish, 1/2c baking soda, tbl coconut oil, 1 tbl evoo (i did increase the measurements bcz my girls have very thick coily 4a hair) together and used REALLY WARMED WATER....badabing badabow!!!!!! OMYGOSH sugabanana immediately I knew...I just knew this was it!!!!! Then since I knew the cuticles were temporarily open I did a hot oil treatment AND their hair melted in my hands w softness. I did twists in their heads and it went from using jbco and a loc creme to just eco styling gel w aloe. DONE! 3 days later the moisture level was cray cray. Usually by the next day I'm going hard w their hair to maintain moisture...nope not this time. Just their daily/nightly spritz and we were/are cool! I will still clarify 1x mth, lay low w proteins (HE naturals is silicone free condish that get great reviews on you tube and their hampoo NATURALS line has "low" sulfates if your a fan of herbal essence like me). Now surprisingly enough HE honey I am strong has all the bad stuff but worx soooooooo well w my hair!!!! It's the exception to my LPH hair rule.   HE honey I am strong had yet to get a bad review from what I have read. So hopefully this helps homegirl! Peace

Edited by Coiled up - Nov 23 2012 at 10:15am
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:13am
Thanks babes.
Coiled up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:14am
It means low porosity. I did that same test w room them water then did it with warm water (bcz warm/hot water opens the cuticle) and my hair sunk to the bottom in 10 sec (I counted). So since me & my daughters battle moisture retention it was their was day so I mixed 1c condish, 1/2c baking soda, tbl coconut oil, 1 tbl evoo (i did increase the measurements bcz my girls have very thick coily 4a hair) together and used REALLY WARMED WATER....badabing badabow!!!!!! OMYGOSH sugabanana immediately I knew...I just knew this was it!!!!! Then since I knew the cuticles were temporarily open I did a hot oil treatment AND their hair melted in my hands w softness. I did twists in their heads and it went from using jbco and a loc creme to just eco styling gel w aloe. DONE! 3 days later the moisture level was cray cray. Usually by the next day I'm going hard w their hair to maintain moisture...nope not this time. Just their daily/nightly spritz and we were/are cool! I will still clarify 1x mth, lay low w proteins (HE naturals is silicone free condish that get great reviews on you tube and their hampoo NATURALS line has "low" sulfates if your a fan of herbal essence like me). Now surprisingly enough HE honey I am strong has all the bad stuff but worx soooooooo well w my hair!!!! It's the exception to my LPH hair rule, but since I'm learning how to take care of my LPH ill make these silicone prods work then when they are done ill be way more conscious & strict about what I use in terms of alcohol & cones.   HE honey I am strong had yet to get a bad review from what I have read. So hopefully this helps homegirl! Peace
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 11:19am
entry from my journal:

"concuring protein overload has provided me with more understanding and hair experience. but it also left me with a lot of broken strands, that I now have to fix... grr. when I first began experiencing protein overload, I could not properly evaluate my hair. on hair care forums, I now see that other people have also gotten confused when trying to figure out what was wrong with their hair. so now I'm going to list a clear description of the symptoms that associate protein overload, moisture overload, low porosity, and high porosity. 

PROTEIN OVERLOAD is characterized by dry and hard hair. when moisturizing and conditioning, your hair will feel very soft and moist. it will take a while for your hair to dry, but once it dries it becomes very hard. in my experience, the outer cuticle layer is what felt dry and hard, but the inner layer still felt moisturized. with breakage, the hair snaps rather then stretches out, due to the small amounts of elasticity in the hair. a good way to tell the amount of elasticity in your hair is by doing the elasticity test. also, when the hair feels dry and hard.

MOISTURE OVERLOAD is characterized by very moist hair that stretches too much, resulting in breakage. the hair will feel too soft and mushy. evaluating this is the easiest because it's symptoms is not like the other hair issues.

LOW POROSITY is associated with smooth cuticles that shinebut water doesn't enter easily. depending how much  water absorbed determines how long it'll take for the hair to dry. when water is absorbed properly the hair will take a long time to dry. if water isn't absorbed properly the hair will dry fast. and when moisturizing the hair, product has a hard time entering, usually resulting in creme laying on your strands. 

HIGH POROSITY acts like a sponge. moisture can easily enter, but easily exits. when the hair dries it dries, and quickly. hair cuticles will feel dry and also feel rigid, and not smooth. a good way to figure out porosity is see how long a strand of your hair floats in water."

I also disagree with what veemack said, sorry. protein overload is a popular assumption because many people go through it. it's like something you don't understand until you go through. if I didn't go through protein overload I would have agreed with veemack's post. and yeah, everything coiled up has said is right on point!

Edited by yahya - Nov 24 2012 at 11:32am
Coiled up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:17pm
@yahya your breakdown was great especially w signs of protein overload! Ima copy/paste for my hair diary so I can have a reference for these symptons!!! Thanx homegirl. *I love networking*
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic