Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Porosity on short hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
 

Porosity on short hair

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>






Author
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 08 2011
Location: Mafia Town
Status: Offline
Points: 89830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 12:32pm
Loves it Thumbs Up....I'm learning something new everyday...matter of fact everytime I refresh the site. Once I do the ACV rinse 2 weeks apart then what products would you recommed for leave in? I mean 'MOISTURE' is truly needed. 
 
Brings out pen and pad in preparation to go shopping before the election results** 
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 08 2011
Location: Mafia Town
Status: Offline
Points: 89830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 7:21pm
Ladies I just came back from Krogers and the health food store. Every single conditioner and leave-in I saw had 1 of the 3 ingredients.
Some type of cone
Parabens
alcohol.
 
I didn't see anything that didnt have none of the 3 above. I'm confused how you guys are buying conditioners and leave in products. Please help a sister out. I expected more natural products at the health food store but they have more products with alcohol and cones than the supermarket.
Back to Top
DEE80 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 23 2009
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 1296
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEE80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 7:51pm
You might have to order some products like Bee Mine or go to Curl Mart online to find some products. 
Back to Top
NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 08 2010
Location: Marvin's Room.
Status: Offline
Points: 6613
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NataleeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 2:46am
I disagree with someone saying that if your hair dries fast then it is overly porous.
I have an issue with porosity b/c I'm on the other side of the spectrum; my hair isn't porous enough (low porosity).
When I wet my hair, the water sits on the surface and then runs off when I tilt my head..
It gets damp and dries quickly, and I end up having to soak or submerge for awhile before it is fully wet, and even then, it dries fast b/c the water will run off since it is not really being absorbed.
This can be a problem for me especially when I need moisture -.-"
Back to Top
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 23 2011
Location: Zambia
Status: Offline
Points: 751
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:18am

Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:



Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Ok I'm a tad bit confused. KN how did you know it was protein overload? I mean what made you think it was that even after you thought your hair was overly porous? I'm n ot sure which to check first. Veemack & KN where would you start? I have quick dry hair only after 10 mins of deep conditioning.

Should I try the ACV as step 1. Because I tried to clarify yesterday and thought it would start me all over again. 
I understand, but you will need to chose what you do first. I have given my professional recommendation based on the information you presented. It is popular belief that people rush to say protein overload because that is a popular thing to say. Protein is temporary, it rinses off of your hair with each washing. The products which list protein on the ingredient list at number 5 and down, that is weak protein. Those wash off with shampoo you do not even need to use harsh shampoo such as clarifying. Harsh shampoos are the worst for Afro hair. Even the good proteins such as Aphogee must be applied again after 6 weeks.... Protein does not block moisture from your hair strands it strengthens your strands (temporarily) to keep the  hair from breaking. Tiny particles of protein fill in the broken spaces of your hair strands. And each time you brush or comb your hair and wash it, those tiny particles fall off. This is why you must repeat the treatment. Protein has been listed in many hair products for a long, long time, way before this natural healthy hair revolution. Protein is good for weak hair, because it temporarily replaces lost protein from your hair strands......Correct your porous issue and your hair will retain moisture longer, period. An ACV rinse is cheap and easy to do. Now it may take two treatments to get your hair where you want it. And you do not do two ACV rinses back to back. You wait a week before you do another one. I would do that before using harsh shampoos which dry black hair out. And before I use a harsh clarifying shampoo I would do a mud wash instead. This is my professional opinion. Whatever you do, may you be blessed on your hair journey. Nothing like healthy moisturized hair. I cannot keep my fingers out of my coils,Smile.



I disagree with a lot of things said here. I'll just give you my thoughts sugabanana. Why I say it is less likely you have porous hair is because your hair is short. Millimetres you say? And low porosity is a problem more present in old hair due to wear and tear and such. Also, using silicones after you've conditioned or moisturized would probably help seal in moisture. My hair is shoulder length and air dries within 30 minutes of washing and even while I'm washing it it feels strangely dry. I use ACV rinses after each wash too. How I realized I had protein overload on my relaxed hair was when all the high porosity remedies failed or seemed to make it worse. Also, I began to note down each and every product I used and how often and realized that virtually all my products either supplied my hair with protein or had protein binding capabilities. Which if I had high porosity hair, would've solved my problems by now. What made it definite for me was this last weekend when I washed and conditioned my hair with tresemme luxurious moisture and it felt great but right afterwards when I DC'd with coconut oil which was supposed to be my saving grace, my became even harder than it was before. This was due to the protein binding capabilities of Coconut Oil. However, you haven't given us enough information to make a definite conclusion. What products do you use daily? What conditioners or oils make it much worse? How often do you use heat? Oh yea and one more question. How do you know that your hair is drying TOO quick? What if it's just the length? How long have you had short hair for?

Edited by KunoichiNindroid - Nov 07 2012 at 6:38am
Back to Top
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 23 2011
Location: Zambia
Status: Offline
Points: 751
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:22am
Sorry I meant high porosity at the beginning, not low porosity. But you still get it right?
Back to Top
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 23 2011
Location: Zambia
Status: Offline
Points: 751
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:27am
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

I disagree with someone saying that if your hair dries fast then it is overly porous.
I have an issue with porosity b/c I'm on the other side of the spectrum; my hair isn't porous enough (low porosity).
When I wet my hair, the water sits on the surface and then runs off when I tilt my head..
It gets damp and dries quickly, and I end up having to soak or submerge for awhile before it is fully wet, and even then, it dries fast b/c the water will run off since it is not really being absorbed.
This can be a problem for me especially when I need moisture -.-"


Ah, same for me with the washing. Though it seems to actually never get wet even when I lay it in the sink :( How similar is protein overload to low porosity?
Back to Top
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 08 2011
Location: Mafia Town
Status: Offline
Points: 89830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 5:47pm
Ok ladies so I did a couple of strand test and the hair is just up sitting on the top of the water?? What does this mean?
Back to Top
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 08 2011
Location: Mafia Town
Status: Offline
Points: 89830
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:


Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:



Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Ok I'm a tad bit confused. KN how did you know it was protein overload? I mean what made you think it was that even after you thought your hair was overly porous? I'm n ot sure which to check first. Veemack & KN where would you start? I have quick dry hair only after 10 mins of deep conditioning.

Should I try the ACV as step 1. Because I tried to clarify yesterday and thought it would start me all over again. 
I understand, but you will need to chose what you do first. I have given my professional recommendation based on the information you presented. It is popular belief that people rush to say protein overload because that is a popular thing to say. Protein is temporary, it rinses off of your hair with each washing. The products which list protein on the ingredient list at number 5 and down, that is weak protein. Those wash off with shampoo you do not even need to use harsh shampoo such as clarifying. Harsh shampoos are the worst for Afro hair. Even the good proteins such as Aphogee must be applied again after 6 weeks.... Protein does not block moisture from your hair strands it strengthens your strands (temporarily) to keep the  hair from breaking. Tiny particles of protein fill in the broken spaces of your hair strands. And each time you brush or comb your hair and wash it, those tiny particles fall off. This is why you must repeat the treatment. Protein has been listed in many hair products for a long, long time, way before this natural healthy hair revolution. Protein is good for weak hair, because it temporarily replaces lost protein from your hair strands......Correct your porous issue and your hair will retain moisture longer, period. An ACV rinse is cheap and easy to do. Now it may take two treatments to get your hair where you want it. And you do not do two ACV rinses back to back. You wait a week before you do another one. I would do that before using harsh shampoos which dry black hair out. And before I use a harsh clarifying shampoo I would do a mud wash instead. This is my professional opinion. Whatever you do, may you be blessed on your hair journey. Nothing like healthy moisturized hair. I cannot keep my fingers out of my coils,Smile.



I disagree with a lot of things said here. I'll just give you my thoughts sugabanana. Why I say it is less likely you have porous hair is because your hair is short. Millimetres you say? And low porosity is a problem more present in old hair due to wear and tear and such. Also, using silicones after you've conditioned or moisturized would probably help seal in moisture. My hair is shoulder length and air dries within 30 minutes of washing and even while I'm washing it it feels strangely dry. I use ACV rinses after each wash too. How I realized I had protein overload on my relaxed hair was when all the high porosity remedies failed or seemed to make it worse. Also, I began to note down each and every product I used and how often and realized that virtually all my products either supplied my hair with protein or had protein binding capabilities. Which if I had high porosity hair, would've solved my problems by now. What made it definite for me was this last weekend when I washed and conditioned my hair with tresemme luxurious moisture and it felt great but right afterwards when I DC'd with coconut oil which was supposed to be my saving grace, my became even harder than it was before. This was due to the protein binding capabilities of Coconut Oil. However, you haven't given us enough information to make a definite conclusion. What products do you use daily? What conditioners or oils make it much worse? How often do you use heat? Oh yea and one more question. How do you know that your hair is drying TOO quick? What if it's just the length? How long have you had short hair for?


kN I've had this short hair since September 22nd. But before then it was always crunchy dry. I thought doing a texlax would soften it. Wrong. Then I said let me relax it. The relaxer didn't take so I just shaved everything.

Edited by sugabanana - Nov 14 2012 at 6:00pm
Back to Top
Coiled up View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 23 2012
Location: SoCal
Status: Offline
Points: 110
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coiled up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:21am
Hi this is coiled up! I just unlocked my Pandora's box by learning I have LOW POROSITY HAIR! I've been doing great techniques but they were for HPH and that's why retaining moisture has been a thorn in my side the last 10years. The min I started investigating I stumbled on lovingmyhair.blogspot.com and ooooooomygosh check this out. This will answer your questions. I'm going to post the article that saved my hair's life.

1. If you put your hair in room temp or cold water and your hair doesn't budge/sink or takes forever to sink...you have LPH

2. If water takes forever to penetrate your hair while drenching it w water...you have LPH

3. When drying your hair it takes forever to dry i.e. air drying. ...you have LPH
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down