Perfect Hair Collection

Porosity on short hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porosity on short hair
    Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 6:31pm
Ladies if your hair is short how can you tell if you hair is high porosity or low porosity? I here you can let your hair float in water.... But my hair is millimeter short. What other ways Can I check? My hair dries up super quick no matter the conditioner. Advice or suggestions are needed thanks in advance natural ladies!!!
Sponsored Links

Fashionista922 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fashionista922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 6:40pm
Sounds like you have build up. I think you should clarify and try a moisture DC for 20-30 min with a plastic bag on your head. Porosity isn't really that big of a deal to me, but if your hair has build up on it from cones, styling products or greases then you will have a huge problem retaining moisture. Otherwise you have used too much protein. But a DC would still help you get your hair back in shape.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 6:51pm
Fashion is your hair always supposed to be soft? The only products I use is essential oils and silicon leave in conditioner. Oh and Shea butter. I'm trying to get my Reggie correct this go around.

Cones means what? Silicone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fashionista922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:13pm
In a perfect world, yes your hair would always be soft and manageable. 
I have never used silicon products before so I am unsure of the ingredients, but if there is any silicone in it like: dimethicone, cyclometicone, etc they normally end in "cone" then you should shampoo your hair with a sulfate shampoo once it starts to build up. If there's too much protein in your products it makes the hair dry and brittle if you use too much. Check out the ingredients in your products and see what's there.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:21pm
I just checked everything I have and your right. There is some type of cone in everything I have. Oh dear......... Does this mean I have to get rid of everything?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fashionista922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:31pm
Well the good news is that shampooing with a sulfate shampoo will solve your problem for sure!

And no you don't have to throw them all away. But you will have to use a regular sulfate shampoo often if you plan to keep using them. So it's up to you. If I was not flatironing I probably wouldn't use cones since shampooing often with sulfates can be very drying. But I wear my hair straight so I like using serums (which contain large amounts of silicones) so my hair stays straight for 2 weeks or longer. There are some ladies that think cones are the devil, but to me they can help or hinder you depending on what you are trying to achieve.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:27am
Porosity is very important to black haircare especially if you are natural.
If your hair air dries quickly it is overly porous.
If your hair dries quickly under a dryer or with a dryer it is probably overly porous.
If your hair feels as though it eats up product it is overly porous.
If your hair is dry within 3 hours of applying a leave in conditioner, it is probably overly porous.

your goal is to get your hair to normal porosity.
When your hair is overly porous your cuticle is opened consistently and you will continuous loose moisture.
Lack of moisture leads to dry hair and dry hair breaks eventually. This is why porosity is so important to Afro haircare.

Note: most silicones rinse off of your hair with water and shampoo. If you think your hair is overly porous do not use harsh shampoos, it will only dry your hair out worst. Correct your porous issue first, then you can clarify if needed. Try just using shampoo first, harsh clarifying shampoos are an enemy to natural afro hair. Think of using a mud wash instead, they cleanse the hair without stripping your hair.

Edited by Veemack - Nov 06 2012 at 2:31am
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 9:00am
These days company's usually make more of an effort to create products with water soluble silicones so you don't have to worry about them too much. Also, if you do have porous hair, silicones wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing because they actually help seal in moisture so I don't think you have much of a porosity issue. You might actually have protein overload. I made a mistake of thinking I had super porous hair and started DC'ing with ORS hair mayo twice a week. Turns out I had protein overload and made it worse. Oops. If you notice your hair gets especially hard after DC'ing or moisturizing with anything that has properties that amp up your protein levels(including coconut oil), then its more likely you have protein overload.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 11:48am
Ok I'm a tad bit confused. KN how did you know it was protein overload? I mean what made you think it was that even after you thought your hair was overly porous? I'm n ot sure which to check first. Veemack & KN where would you start? I have quick dry hair only after 10 mins of deep conditioning.

Should I try the ACV as step 1. Because I tried to clarify yesterday and thought it would start me all over again. 
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Ok I'm a tad bit confused. KN how did you know it was protein overload? I mean what made you think it was that even after you thought your hair was overly porous? I'm n ot sure which to check first. Veemack & KN where would you start? I have quick dry hair only after 10 mins of deep conditioning.

Should I try the ACV as step 1. Because I tried to clarify yesterday and thought it would start me all over again. 
I understand, but you will need to chose what you do first. I have given my professional recommendation based on the information you presented. It is popular belief that people rush to say protein overload because that is a popular thing to say. Protein is temporary, it rinses off of your hair with each washing. The products which list protein on the ingredient list at number 5 and down, that is weak protein. Those wash off with shampoo you do not even need to use harsh shampoo such as clarifying. Harsh shampoos are the worst for Afro hair. Even the good proteins such as Aphogee must be applied again after 6 weeks.... Protein does not block moisture from your hair strands it strengthens your strands (temporarily) to keep the  hair from breaking. Tiny particles of protein fill in the broken spaces of your hair strands. And each time you brush or comb your hair and wash it, those tiny particles fall off. This is why you must repeat the treatment. Protein has been listed in many hair products for a long, long time, way before this natural healthy hair revolution. Protein is good for weak hair, because it temporarily replaces lost protein from your hair strands......Correct your porous issue and your hair will retain moisture longer, period. An ACV rinse is cheap and easy to do. Now it may take two treatments to get your hair where you want it. And you do not do two ACV rinses back to back. You wait a week before you do another one. I would do that before using harsh shampoos which dry black hair out. And before I use a harsh clarifying shampoo I would do a mud wash instead. This is my professional opinion. Whatever you do, may you be blessed on your hair journey. Nothing like healthy moisturized hair. I cannot keep my fingers out of my coils,Smile.

Edited by Veemack - Nov 06 2012 at 12:16pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>