Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Children's Hair > Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic Closedplease help with my two year old!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
caligal111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: please help with my two year old!!!
    Posted: May 27 2008 at 9:17pm

I have not posted in a while but thought i would give it another go...anywho, i posted a few months back about my daughter and her slow hair growth..she is 2 1/2 and still continues to have less hair than most of the other girls i see her age...i have finally got ahold of the moisture aspect by using Blended Beauty Happy Nappy styles and/or baby buttercreme, as well as scurl and coconut oil for moisture...but it is still growing so slow that it is becoming very frustrating for me to do anything with it, i will try to post a pic to give an idea of what i mean..any suggestions would be appreciated, i am thinking of having kinky twists done on her hair with extensions of course?? the style she has in the pic is pretty much what she has been rockin for two years (lol) when i try to cornrow it, the front/edges are to thin and lack much hair to do much with..... i feel bad the thought of a toddler having weave, but i dont know what else i can do to get it growing better..thanks for your help

Edited by caligal111 - May 27 2008 at 9:38pm
Sponsored Links

clovercurls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2008 at 12:03pm
Every child's metabolism is different. You should stop comparing your dd to other little girls in her age range. I would suggest a thorough physical with her pediatrician to rule out any health concerns that might be contributing to her slow hair growth. The dr probably won't find anything wrong with your daughter physically. In that case you can ask her dr for a multi-vitamin suggestion? I would definitely suggest giving your daughter a teaspoon of cod-liver oil daily. You can chase it with a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar if the taste is not to her liking.

Definitely incorporate scalp massages into her regimen. You can slightly heat up some oils (in whatever combination you want)...coconut, olive, castor, jojoba are great choices...and slowly massage the oil(s) into her scalp and hair. Don't overload on the oils...maybe once or twice a week if you feel her hair needs it. Scalp massages is a great way to stimulate hair growth. Plus it creates a mother/daughter bond that your daughter will always remember.Big%20smile Buy a boar bristle brush and brush her hair gently after the massage. Stay away from certain hair accessories (like those plastic balls that wrap around the hair). Rubber bands are fine but cut them out of the hair when you take her hair down. Creme of Nature is a very good moisturizing shampoo...they also make a Nourishing Conditioner too. These two together are awesome products to start with.

Regarding hair extensions on a toddler I suggest you don't. I think putting extra hair on a 2-year old would only exacerbate her slow hair growth. Plus it looks really tacky on such a small head....sorry I'm being totally honest. Try styles using her own hair. Individual twists, cornrows are adorable styles for a toddler. She's only two, she does not need a grown-up hairdo.Embarrassed
Girls1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2008 at 5:21pm
Ita with clover. It will be helpful if you did post pics so we could have an idea of what you mean. It's true you can't compare her to other children.
She is very young and I would suggest you continue the moisturizing regimen you have been using.
 Do you use heat? What kind of shampoo and conditioner do you use? The shampoo may be too drying. Also, how often do you wash her hair and what types of styles do you attempt with it?
At her age, if you continue to moisturize, keep her scalp clean and her follicles stress free (laying off aggressive styling) she will attain her potential.
I too am against using extensions. They would be inappropriate and add too much stress to her hair, making the problem worse.
Please write back to let us know how things are going.
caligal111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2008 at 12:28am
thanks everyone for the input, after thinking about it, she probably is too young for the kinky twists with extensions right now, and besides that, dad is not too happy with the thought of extensions in his babies hair, so it looks like that is  a no go,. even though i wear a weave, and i dont mind them for me, i am trying to teach her to be proud of her hair ...but it gets hard for me because i am so limited on the styling options and it is time consuming to keep doing the little pony tails... but i am still going to work on continuing to moisturize and help it grow...as far as styles, there really is not too much i can do with it because of the length aside from the style i have been doing, the front is too short to catch  for cornrows and i try to leave short pieces out of her pony tail...i am going to try to find a pic on my computer and upload!
gpt1970 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2008 at 12:59am
Cali I feel your pain, I have been on this forum for months with the same issue with my now 15 month old.  I have been told Aloe vera juice mixed with glycerine, disteilled water, 5 drops of Rosemary oil, and peppermint oil, and to seal it with some pure coconut oil.  This makes her hair really soft, but it has not grown at all and I have been doing this now for 3 months.  She only has about 2 1/2 inches of hair stretched on the top and front, and the sides maybe a 1/4 inch long.  I want my baby's hair long like the others babies around her age with the cute dangling twisty tails.  PM me if anyone finds a fast growth method. 

Mrs. Wilson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 12:57am
I understand what you mean. My baby is 3 and her hair seems like its the same length. I don't know what to do with it sometimes. It gets dry fast unless I use Carol's Daughter products.
mzniko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2008 at 2:10pm

When you use less products on a child's head it is better.  All adult products are not created for children and will cause an excessive about of oily build up or will do the reverse and cause the scalp to immediately go dry.  If you can find a baby wash that doubles as a poo that would be fine for a toddler.  As far as a daily moisturizing creme, I would just go with the BB castor oil which is lite and provides the right amount of moisturization without the high ph balance.  Motions has a high ph balance, i know it is shocking.......because i thought motions was bomb until i tested their poos and cons

scherryterry14 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2008 at 11:32pm
I have a 19 mth old and she was born with lots of hair.  Her hair started shedding when she was around six mths.  She had a mo-hawk.  Now her hair is slowly growing.  The top is very long, but around the sides and the back is growing slowly.  Does anyone know of some good hair products to use.  I have used doo grow, mane and tail, and all kinds of hair grow products.  She still has her baby hair around the sides and back.  the top also.  I see all the other little girls her age with long hair and I am like what is wrong with my childs hair.  Anyone with advice? 

Edited by scherryterry14 - Jul 22 2008 at 7:19pm
Meaalways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2008 at 9:11am

Mornning Ladies, I'm no expert when it comes to hair but I do know patients is a virtue and children develop at different speeds just as they do w/ walking and talking. Nothing may be wrong w/ your child's hair- because it grows slow. Adult hair grows at different paces too. My daughter is 20 months and has a good length of hair (past her shoulders when stretched) but it kind of came out of no where.... Before her hair started to grown like it is now, the back was REALLY short maybe an inch and a half. People would say to me "don't worry her hair is going to grow" I'd reply "I'M NOT WORRIED" Angry Boy that used to piss me offCensored--------- I didn't ask for a hair comment and personally I didn't care how long it was just as long as her hair was healthy! I know it's frustrating but healthy hair should come as a priority b4 long hair. So, that being said, head bands are always cute on little girlsSmile, that's what I used to do, she had a lot of colors. I'd comb her hair out moisturize it and pop her head band on... wallahStar

SCARLETT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 4:26am
ITA ^^ I have a 2 yr old and a 1 one yr old. My oldest daughters hair is between apl and bra strap. T he 1 yr old is below shoulder. For at least the first year of the lives, I did not "style" their hair.
I would wash it weekly, keep it moisturized  ( with Kids Organics Shea Butter and S curl) and just detangle with a widetooth comb and then add a hair slide or band.
IMO children's hair does not always have to look done and a baby with 50 elevan ponytails is  eventually going to have problems with its hairline. Due to the hair being under so much stress.

Give it time, and it WILL grow.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic