It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 9:37am

What confuses me is this Cnapp stuff. IMHO there is nothing past 4b.

Sponsored Links

Dehinds View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

Originally posted by sanja sanja wrote:

apparently there's such a thing as c-napp hair. 

a member on LHCF broke it down:
"...her hair has almost completely refracted light, making it appear grayish in some of her pics. It is DENSELY packed and has over 90% shrinkage. It also a very cottony appearance (hence the c in cnapp). When well cared for, it is extremely soft. In mi opinion, this is the absolute BEST type of locing hair (after doing some of my friends), because its natural tendency is to do so (again note the appearance of crazycoils loose hair). Its extremely fragile and is more easily manipulated with fingers than with combs. Some of the styles and looks she can create with her loose hair simply can not be duplicated successfully on regular type 4 hair-if so I have yet to see it.

I don't think this type of hair is just a distinct variation of 4b because honestly, I rarely ever see people with this hair type (it's texture is distinct even when relaxed). A lot of people claim to have that nappiest of naps, 10z type hair just because their hair is dense or super thick, but I still don't think it equates to cnapp hair in terms of all its properties (density, coil pattern, curl clumpings, high sheen, low porosity, etc).

To add to this, it is also the type of hair that is very hard to get fully wet-water has a tendency to simply "roll" off the hair so drenching with water and conditioner would have little to no effect in terms of stretching the hair. Her hair has pure sheen (that captures and refracts light at different frequencies on each part of the hair's coil). Very few people have hair that has pure shine and even fewer with pure sheen-it's generally a combination of everything in between.

The coils will not clump together and smooth out so it will never look just regular moisturized 4b hair (even if it is on the more dull side). I too use to think that it was sort of divisive, but that is because I didn't know hair of this extreme existed. The same methods and products will simply not work on this type of hair (I know because I tried using methods that work on my aunts' dull natural 4b hair on a friend w/natural c-napp hair and it just didn't work-AT ALL). The appearance is very much the same, but it behaves vastly different.

I saw that thread and I think the person who posted this really knows her stuff.

I think that there is a definite difference between 4A, 4B, and a (4)CNapp. All pretty much look the same when the hair is short, but once it grows out, you can see the differences. Because Andre's system was IMO incomplete and didn't have accurate definitions of Type 4 hair, a lot of people eqauted anything with any coil definition as 4A, and everything else as 4B and then called that hair type rare. I think that if 4Cnapp hair had originally been included, more people would be correctly labeled as 4b and 4Cnapp would be the rare hair type (because it actually is).

I also think that people need to focus on the whole head from a distance, instead of a few strands up close. IMO, you don't have to look close to see a certain hair type, it shows itself all the time. Roots can lie so I think it's important to look at how the majority of all the hair behaves to determine the hair type.

I agree I know that my hair type is 4 but it doesn't perfectly fits in 4a, 4b or cnapps. I think the hair type systems are basic guidelines.
vibrantthang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 11:48pm
They need to classify the 4 chart properly instead of throwing everything into the "4a clearance bin" One curl should not justify a whole head of head being typed to that... this remains me of the one drop rule but that is a whole different thread
Napiah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2008 at 3:01pm

Hi everybody!

This is my first post. Honestly, I think y'all are putting too much energy into defining 4B hair. From what I can see as I hop around to various hair boards, the overwhelming majority of us who have 4B hair are those of us who have absolutely no clumpling wavy/curly patern to our hair. If your hair clumps into visable curls or coils, no matter how small, we consider that some type of 4A hair. If you have individual coils or zigzags that all take their separate route (in other words doesn't clump to show of a wave or curl or coil patern of some sort) then you're a 4B. Now obviously you're going to have all kinds of variations as a 4B but basically, this is how most of us define it.

As a far as it being rare. Not hardly. Is anyone in this thread even close to 50 years old? I am. Relaxers didn't become extremely prevalent until about the mid 1980s. When that happened, women started slapping chemicals in their hair like you wouldn't believe. Today, according to beauty industry estimates, nearly 60-70% of all black women relax their hair. And that doesn't even include toddlers, children, preteens and teenagers who have relaxed hair.

Now given that 4B women or us cNapps are the most likely to be told or think that our hair is too nappy to wear natural, my thought is that of course 4B hair is not rare. I saw too much of it when I was growing up. I think that as a result of the stigma attached to those of us who don't have "good hair" we're the most likely to be permed, wear weaves and other wise cover up our hair and the LEAST likely to go natural and/or stay natural.

I think someone already mentioned www.nappyme.wordpress.com that shows some good examples of 4B/cNapp hair. Nappyme also started a wonderful forum for those of us with this texture as well. It's called cNappymeNow.com. Again we consider ourselves nappies with 4B hair not some NEW hair type.

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 2:45pm

Yep. I agree with Afro-Germangirl to soem extent. Some of the ladies who say they are 4b are actually 4a or variations of 4a. And then again, sometimes the camera plays tricks on the eyes, because people have said I am 4a and I am pretty sure I'm not.

Edited by Wildfire - Feb 06 2008 at 2:47pm
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Napiah Napiah wrote:

Hi everybody!

This is my first post. Honestly, I think y'all are putting too much energy into defining 4B hair. From what I can see as I hop around to various hair boards, the overwhelming majority of us who have 4B hair are those of us who have absolutely no clumpling wavy/curly patern to our hair. If your hair clumps into visable curls or coils, no matter how small, we consider that some type of 4A hair. If you have individual coils or zigzags that all take their separate route (in other words doesn't clump to show of a wave or curl or coil patern of some sort) then you're a 4B. Now obviously you're going to have all kinds of variations as a 4B but basically, this is how most of us define it.

As a far as it being rare. Not hardly. Is anyone in this thread even close to 50 years old? I am. Relaxers didn't become extremely prevalent until about the mid 1980s. When that happened, women started slapping chemicals in their hair like you wouldn't believe. Today, according to beauty industry estimates, nearly 60-70% of all black women relax their hair. And that doesn't even include toddlers, children, preteens and teenagers who have relaxed hair.

Now given that 4B women or us cNapps are the most likely to be told or think that our hair is too nappy to wear natural, my thought is that of course 4B hair is not rare. I saw too much of it when I was growing up. I think that as a result of the stigma attached to those of us who don't have "good hair" we're the most likely to be permed, wear weaves and other wise cover up our hair and the LEAST likely to go natural and/or stay natural.

I think someone already mentioned www.nappyme.wordpress.com that shows some good examples of 4B/cNapp hair. Nappyme also started a wonderful forum for those of us with this texture as well. It's called cNappymeNow.com. Again we consider ourselves nappies with 4B hair not some NEW hair type.

This being the hair type section...I don't see your point.

But can you please send me a link of this woman's hair? Large pictures please. ( her site is confusing)
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2008 at 4:07am
Originally posted by 9osZBehbi 9osZBehbi wrote:

This being the hair type section...I don't see your point.

But can you please send me a link of this woman's hair? Large pictures please. ( her site is confusing)

I think her point is the 4b is not rare but we seem to think it's rare due to our not being around it as we are in an era or many of us have grown up with black women wearing relaxers, jehri curls, press (which changes the texture of hair) etc while in her generation these things were no as common (maybe the pressing) but natural hair was prelevant, thus being 4b is not uncommon we in this generation are not accustomed or growing up around those who have always worn their hair natural.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Ex:  Check out the photos of your grandparents or parents many probably were not wearing jehri curls or relaxers.  My mom did get her hair relaxed until her early 30's, had her first press a 18 for her graduation...in 1969 and continued getting her hair pressed in her 20's. 
Dehinds View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2008 at 2:21am
But isn't that over simplifying type 4a hair? It has one piece of hair that clumps together to make a visible curl/coil pattern when the rest of the hair is more like a mass of clouds?I don't think 4b hair is rare it's very common. But most people are thrown into the 4a category because some sections of their hair clumps together. 4c hair is the "rare" hair type. Because according to some 4cnapp hair has low sheen even when it's straightened. 

Edited by Dehinds - Feb 08 2008 at 2:23am
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2008 at 5:25pm

SO her hair type is 4a/4b. She can be both.

9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2008 at 5:27pm

Plus we have to remember her hair may be styled to look that way. I have 3b/c/4a hair but im able to style my hair to give it the 4b appearance.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic