Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Types
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pics of 4b hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus
 

Topic ClosedPics of 4b hair

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SooBossy View Drop Down
New Member
New Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 26 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 52
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2008 at 1:33am
Thanks ladies for posting the pic. I have been search for 4B type hair and always come up short. I wanted to know what does 4B look like long and pressed?
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 25 2007
Location: School
Status: Offline
Points: 5721
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 2:15pm

Back to Top
PrettyLA View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 29 2007
Location: US - California
Status: Offline
Points: 574
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by AfroGerman_Girl AfroGerman_Girl wrote:

Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

It looks to be 4b to me.

I think the notion that 4b hair has no wave or curl pattern is false and oversimplified. While it is true that as a whole, 4b hair will not have a distinct wave formation, if you look at the individual strands of hair, you will definitely see coils and super small curls.
 
I beg to differ. The hair structure you describe is 4A.
True 4b hair is rare! But it does exist. I have seen it. I lived in Africa for several years, and 4b is more common there (but still much rarer than 4a). There is NO curl in 4b, not even close up; trust me. If you have any curl whatsoever, you are not a 4b, but a 4a. People are too quick to type their hair as 4b when it is 4a subtype, IMO.Smile
 
The more pictures I see here, the more I actually see that there are many different subtypes of 4a - looser and tighter curls.
 
Think about type 1 and type 4b as two extreme ends of a spectrum. Both are rarer than the other types (i.e. many white people do not have bone straight hair with nu curl whatsoever and use flatirons! Similarly, in my experience, type 4b is another hair type that is rarer than the other types). In the middle of the spectrum (2,3,4 with all their subtypes), you will find the more common hair types. Statistically, I could imagine the hair types distributed along a "normal curve", with the more common hair types clustered in the middle and type 1 and 4b on each end of the curve.
 
I still need to expand my hair type chart to include subtypes for 4a and 3c. These pictures are helping me get an idea of exactly how many there are.Big%20smile



Okay well I have a question then. My father has a coarse " African-American" type of hair yet it grows straight. My younger brother and I have always been amazed by the fact that his hair grows straight. Is that considered 4b then.  I have 3c/4a hair, but I always loved my fathers hair because it grew thick and straight but still had that AA texture...as if he had a blowdry. Im sorry if its confusing but im just wondering.
Back to Top
AfroGerman_Girl View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 14 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 3110
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 9:50am
Originally posted by LApretty0ne LApretty0ne wrote:

Originally posted by AfroGerman_Girl AfroGerman_Girl wrote:

Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

It looks to be 4b to me.

I think the notion that 4b hair has no wave or curl pattern is false and oversimplified. While it is true that as a whole, 4b hair will not have a distinct wave formation, if you look at the individual strands of hair, you will definitely see coils and super small curls.
 
I beg to differ. The hair structure you describe is 4A.
True 4b hair is rare! But it does exist. I have seen it. I lived in Africa for several years, and 4b is more common there (but still much rarer than 4a). There is NO curl in 4b, not even close up; trust me. If you have any curl whatsoever, you are not a 4b, but a 4a. People are too quick to type their hair as 4b when it is 4a subtype, IMO.Smile
 
The more pictures I see here, the more I actually see that there are many different subtypes of 4a - looser and tighter curls.
 
Think about type 1 and type 4b as two extreme ends of a spectrum. Both are rarer than the other types (i.e. many white people do not have bone straight hair with nu curl whatsoever and use flatirons! Similarly, in my experience, type 4b is another hair type that is rarer than the other types). In the middle of the spectrum (2,3,4 with all their subtypes), you will find the more common hair types. Statistically, I could imagine the hair types distributed along a "normal curve", with the more common hair types clustered in the middle and type 1 and 4b on each end of the curve.
 
I still need to expand my hair type chart to include subtypes for 4a and 3c. These pictures are helping me get an idea of exactly how many there are.Big%20smile



Okay well I have a question then. My father has a coarse " African-American" type of hair yet it grows straight. My younger brother and I have always been amazed by the fact that his hair grows straight. Is that considered 4b then.  I have 3c/4a hair, but I always loved my fathers hair because it grew thick and straight but still had that AA texture...as if he had a blowdry. Im sorry if its confusing but im just wondering.
 
If your father has straight hair, then it is type 1. The fact that it is coarse has nothing to do with the hair type. Type 1 hair can still be coarse. His hair is simply a case of highly textured type 1 hair.
Back to Top
B_phlyy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Apr 27 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by LApretty0ne LApretty0ne wrote:

Originally posted by AfroGerman_Girl AfroGerman_Girl wrote:

Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

It looks to be 4b to me.

I think the notion that 4b hair has no wave or curl pattern is false and oversimplified. While it is true that as a whole, 4b hair will not have a distinct wave formation, if you look at the individual strands of hair, you will definitely see coils and super small curls.
 
I beg to differ. The hair structure you describe is 4A.
True 4b hair is rare! But it does exist. I have seen it. I lived in Africa for several years, and 4b is more common there (but still much rarer than 4a). There is NO curl in 4b, not even close up; trust me. If you have any curl whatsoever, you are not a 4b, but a 4a. People are too quick to type their hair as 4b when it is 4a subtype, IMO.Smile
 
The more pictures I see here, the more I actually see that there are many different subtypes of 4a - looser and tighter curls.
 
Think about type 1 and type 4b as two extreme ends of a spectrum. Both are rarer than the other types (i.e. many white people do not have bone straight hair with nu curl whatsoever and use flatirons! Similarly, in my experience, type 4b is another hair type that is rarer than the other types). In the middle of the spectrum (2,3,4 with all their subtypes), you will find the more common hair types. Statistically, I could imagine the hair types distributed along a "normal curve", with the more common hair types clustered in the middle and type 1 and 4b on each end of the curve.
 
I still need to expand my hair type chart to include subtypes for 4a and 3c. These pictures are helping me get an idea of exactly how many there are.Big%20smile



Okay well I have a question then. My father has a coarse " African-American" type of hair yet it grows straight. My younger brother and I have always been amazed by the fact that his hair grows straight. Is that considered 4b then.  I have 3c/4a hair, but I always loved my fathers hair because it grew thick and straight but still had that AA texture...as if he had a blowdry. Im sorry if its confusing but im just wondering.


I understand what you mean and yeah, I'd say he's a 4b maybe even a CNapp. The hair does not have a readily identifiable curl patter (which is what I take you to mean when you say straight) but you definitely know it's a type 4.
Back to Top
sanja View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Jun 03 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 1102
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 3:51am

apparently there's such a thing as c-napp hair. 

 
a member on LHCF broke it down:
"...her hair has almost completely refracted light, making it appear grayish in some of her pics. It is DENSELY packed and has over 90% shrinkage. It also a very cottony appearance (hence the c in cnapp). When well cared for, it is extremely soft. In mi opinion, this is the absolute BEST type of locing hair (after doing some of my friends), because its natural tendency is to do so (again note the appearance of crazycoils loose hair). Its extremely fragile and is more easily manipulated with fingers than with combs. Some of the styles and looks she can create with her loose hair simply can not be duplicated successfully on regular type 4 hair-if so I have yet to see it.
 
I don't think this type of hair is just a distinct variation of 4b because honestly, I rarely ever see people with this hair type (it's texture is distinct even when relaxed). A lot of people claim to have that nappiest of naps, 10z type hair just because their hair is dense or super thick, but I still don't think it equates to cnapp hair in terms of all its properties (density, coil pattern, curl clumpings, high sheen, low porosity, etc).
 
To add to this, it is also the type of hair that is very hard to get fully wet-water has a tendency to simply "roll" off the hair so drenching with water and conditioner would have little to no effect in terms of stretching the hair. Her hair has pure sheen (that captures and refracts light at different frequencies on each part of the hair's coil). Very few people have hair that has pure shine and even fewer with pure sheen-it's generally a combination of everything in between.
 
The coils will not clump together and smooth out so it will never look just regular moisturized 4b hair (even if it is on the more dull side). I too use to think that it was sort of divisive, but that is because I didn't know hair of this extreme existed. The same methods and products will simply not work on this type of hair (I know because I tried using methods that work on my aunts' dull natural 4b hair on a friend w/natural c-napp hair and it just didn't work-AT ALL). The appearance is very much the same, but it behaves vastly different.
Back to Top
B_phlyy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Apr 27 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3010
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by sanja sanja wrote:

apparently there's such a thing as c-napp hair. 

 
a member on LHCF broke it down:
"...her hair has almost completely refracted light, making it appear grayish in some of her pics. It is DENSELY packed and has over 90% shrinkage. It also a very cottony appearance (hence the c in cnapp). When well cared for, it is extremely soft. In mi opinion, this is the absolute BEST type of locing hair (after doing some of my friends), because its natural tendency is to do so (again note the appearance of crazycoils loose hair). Its extremely fragile and is more easily manipulated with fingers than with combs. Some of the styles and looks she can create with her loose hair simply can not be duplicated successfully on regular type 4 hair-if so I have yet to see it.
 
I don't think this type of hair is just a distinct variation of 4b because honestly, I rarely ever see people with this hair type (it's texture is distinct even when relaxed). A lot of people claim to have that nappiest of naps, 10z type hair just because their hair is dense or super thick, but I still don't think it equates to cnapp hair in terms of all its properties (density, coil pattern, curl clumpings, high sheen, low porosity, etc).
 
To add to this, it is also the type of hair that is very hard to get fully wet-water has a tendency to simply "roll" off the hair so drenching with water and conditioner would have little to no effect in terms of stretching the hair. Her hair has pure sheen (that captures and refracts light at different frequencies on each part of the hair's coil). Very few people have hair that has pure shine and even fewer with pure sheen-it's generally a combination of everything in between.
 
The coils will not clump together and smooth out so it will never look just regular moisturized 4b hair (even if it is on the more dull side). I too use to think that it was sort of divisive, but that is because I didn't know hair of this extreme existed. The same methods and products will simply not work on this type of hair (I know because I tried using methods that work on my aunts' dull natural 4b hair on a friend w/natural c-napp hair and it just didn't work-AT ALL). The appearance is very much the same, but it behaves vastly different.
 
I saw that thread and I think the person who posted this really knows her stuff.
 
I think that there is a definite difference between 4A, 4B, and a (4)CNapp. All pretty much look the same when the hair is short, but once it grows out, you can see the differences. Because Andre's system was IMO incomplete and didn't have accurate definitions of Type 4 hair, a lot of people eqauted anything with any coil definition as 4A, and everything else as 4B and then called that hair type rare. I think that if 4Cnapp hair had originally been included, more people would be correctly labeled as 4b and 4Cnapp would be the rare hair type (because it actually is).
 
I also think that people need to focus on the whole head from a distance, instead of a few strands up close. IMO, you don't have to look close to see a certain hair type, it shows itself all the time. Roots can lie so I think it's important to look at how the majority of all the hair behaves to determine the hair type.
 
Back to Top
Kurlz View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: Jan 17 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 252
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by AfroGerman_Girl AfroGerman_Girl wrote:

Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

It looks to be 4b to me. I think the notion that 4b hair has no wave or curl pattern is false and oversimplified. While it is true that as a whole, 4b hair will not have a distinct wave formation, if you look at the individual strands of hair, you will definitely see coils and super small curls.


I beg to differ. The hair structure you describe is 4A.

True 4b hair is rare! But it does exist. I have seen it. I lived in Africa for several years, and 4b is more common there (but still much rarer than 4a). There is NO curl in 4b, not even close up; trust me. If you have any curl whatsoever, you are not a 4b, but a 4a. People are too quick to type their hair as 4b when it is 4a subtype, IMO.[IMG]http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />


The more pictures I see here, the more I actually see that there are many different subtypes of 4a - looser and tighter curls.


Think about type 1 and type 4b as two extreme ends of a spectrum. Both are rarer than the other types (i.e. many white people do not have bone straight hair with nu curl whatsoever and use flatirons! Similarly, in my experience, type 4b is another hair type that is rarer than the other types). In the middle of the spectrum (2,3,4 with all their subtypes), you will find the more common hair types. Statistically, I could imagine the hair types distributed along a "normal curve", with the more common hair types clustered in the middle and type 1 and 4b on each end of the curve.


I still need to expand my hair type chart to include subtypes for 4a and 3c. These pictures are helping me get an idea of exactly how many there are.[IMG]http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley4.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Big%20smile" />
I agree!!!!!!
Back to Top
9osZBehbi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 25 2007
Location: School
Status: Offline
Points: 5721
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 9:14pm

Idk for sure what cnapp is but she isn't 100%. She has 3c/4a curls as well.

 



Edited by 9osZBehbi - Jan 17 2008 at 9:15pm
Back to Top
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 01 2004
Location: Nevereverland
Status: Offline
Points: 51531
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2008 at 3:45am
Oh no, now I am confused. 
Back to Top
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down