Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

picking up the ventialting needle again!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
hennared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: picking up the ventialting needle again!
    Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 6:38am
SO.. I decided to try to learn to ventilate, again.  I'm trying to learn using futura hair (it's slippery and super straight) and a standard weaving cap.   With out my glasses on and working up close, it's not so bad.  But those damn weaving caps are so stretchy!   It seems made a lot harder to learn, when the material you are ventilating on keeps moving (I cannot pin the mesh tight enough to stay put on my canvass head).  I'm not ready to make the jump to true lace, yet.  Of those of you who have learned, can you suggest a fabric to practice on, that has holes a bit larger than swiss or french lace, and that does not stretch?  Thanks!

Sponsored Links

SampleSized View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SampleSized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 8:13pm
Tulle maybe?
LynnNyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LynnNyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:06am
do not learn on stretch lace; even experienced ventilators do not enjoy working on stretch.  It's a pain to work with and you really should be double knotting when you work on stretch, reason being is that it stretches and with single knotting the hair is going to come out quicker over time so double knotting forgives the stretch.

also, tulle stretches out of shape.  you will slow down your learning process if you use the wrong lace.  while I know you do not want to invest in any pricey lace to practice with, you can buy a sizeable piece of french lace from a few places, since you will only be practicing with it you can cut up a few squares; save them also after you have ventilated on them so you can gauge your knotting from when you first started.  stay away from swiss, too delicate, you have to work slower also.
Wisney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wisney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 11:04am
I actually recently started learning to ventilate, i went straight to swiss lace and a 1-2 asian needle and once you get the hang of it's simple. I do snag the needle on the lace sometimes and that is a pain, but i did quite well. I did start to get bored tho, I just don't think i have the patience for it. I also improvised a practice 'station' out of an old slim fast can!

Edited by Wisney - Feb 05 2014 at 11:05am
LynnNyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LynnNyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 12:17pm

Hey Wisney.... you stopped?

yes, it does takes patience and it can consume a lot of your time if you are working on big projects start to finish. 
Lwhite1960 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwhite1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2014 at 12:32pm
I would suggest buying some tulle from the fabric store to practice on.

1. the holes are almost as small as real wig lace
2. the fabric is delicate enough to help you "learn" how rough to handle it and how hard to pull the knots.
3. it is real cheap, so if you mess up your only out a few dollars.

hth.
gaiagaia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaiagaia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 8:14am
wisney...
What is it Asian needle???
Wisney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2014 at 10:45am
@LynnNYC, Yeah I didn't invest too much money in tools cos I tend to get bored of stuff reallll easy, and after a week or so I was like 'Ok, this isn't as fulfilling as I thought it would be'. I think it might be because I wasn't actually creating a wig, I was just practising. Maybe I should try and create an actual wig and I would feel inspired to just carry on

@gaiagaia, An Asian needle is a Korean needle, it has an approx 85º angle to the hook and it's what they use in the Asian wig factories. A regular needle is a German needle and has a roughly 50º angle to the hook and is easier to ventilate with, but also a bit slower. Asian needles allow for smaller detail in ventilating I think, it's what the more advanced wig makers use.
Tressa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tressa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 8:27pm
love my skills..they save a lot a moola
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply