FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPhotos of Lye and No Lye Damage to hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Hair ViVi

Author
Donda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos of Lye and No Lye Damage to hair
    Posted: Mar 05 2004 at 11:31pm
I was reading Why Are Black Women Losing Their Hair by Barry Flecher, when I came accross a picture of how relaxers can damage the hair.

In each picture the person started off with healthy hair:

The first picture is of virgin hair, note how smooth it is.

The second with a Lye relaxer,there is some damage.

But look at the third with a no lye, can we say palm tree!

The last one with a relaxer and permanent hair color!!!!!

Pic

Let me now what you think of the picture.

Sponsored Links

weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2004 at 1:32am

so, did they do the processes ove rthe SAME strand to show the effects of mixing a relaxer...or are they separate strands that just show how each product will affact your hair?

im happy im natural!!!

luvlonghair_deleted View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2004 at 7:47am
Now that's something to think about!
Donda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2004 at 1:10pm

They didn't apply different relaxers (Lye then No Lye)to the same person ,it simply showed the effect of each cemical on what was a healthy strand of hair.
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2004 at 1:34pm

and they say rlaxers dont damge.... HA

all this proved was that relaxed hair is going to be damaged even if you take care of it.

(no offense to you guys w/ relaxers, of course)

alliyah4eva2003 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2004 at 5:06pm
but this just goes to show that if you are going to relax your hair you should definetly use a lye relaxer. without a doubt
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2004 at 4:18am
bump
LEOLADYSW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2004 at 7:34am

does the section of this book state these strands were taken prior to, or after proper conditioning with the proper conditioner? 

what products were used on the hair strands?  were any products used at all?

were the strands taken from the same individual in the same area? 

was all of the strands healthy prior to the chemical processes?  if the relaxed strands were damaged prior to the relaxer application, they could be more damaged after the relaxer than before.

from what section of the hair shaft did these strands come from?  did they come from the area closest to the scalp, which would be healthier looking than the ends.

did all 3 samples come from the same area of the hair shaft?  if the natural strand section came from close to the scalp it would look healthier than a section taken from the end.  if the relaxer strand section came from the ends -- well they would look more damaged than what a section from near the scalp would look.

do they state what brand and strength relaxers were used on the relaxed strands?  how long was the application time [was it over processed]? 

if they used the strongest relaxer of the strongest brand and over processed previously healthy hair, wouldn't the strands look more damaged than if a more gentle relaxer with the recommended time constraints followed were used?

was there overlapping in the relaxer application?  did the hair shaft sections in the picture come from this area?

how were the relaxed strands treated gently or roughly?  were the relaxed strands combed with a fine tooth comb or with a k cutter?  were the relaxed strands blown dry with a high heat blow dryer?  were they flat ironed on high heat? 

we do not know any of these things. 

the courses i have taken in data collection and in comparision studies, show that data can be easily manipulated to show whatever appearance that the researcher wishes to obtain.

i am not saying that the study is deliberately false, but i am saying that before i believe my hair has been "damaged by my relaxer" i need to know all of these things and more i have not yet thought about.

Edited by LEOLADYSW
Bellas_Mom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2004 at 7:50am

Leolady, read this thread, you will see what lye and no lye relaxers will do to your hair:

http://www.blackhairmedia.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8635 &PN=1&TPN=1

I researched keratin bond breakdowns as part of my chemistry degree, its not a pretty thing what relaxers are prone to do to beautiful hair.

LEOLADYSW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2004 at 8:25am

bellas' mom.  i don't think you read my post very thoroughly, or i didn't write it so you understood it.  let me try again.

i am not saying that chemicals can not damage hair.  of course hair can be damaged.  what i am saying is that researchers in every field manipulate data everyday -- consciously or unconsciously. 

they do so for various reasons:

they want to "prove a point" based on their own beliefs

they want to obtain recognition in their own field

they want to promote their own product

they want to damage the reputation of a competitor's product

on and on.

that is why even the best research is not 100%.  data manipulation is rife. 

in this instance, you must admit that the various combinations of unanswered questions [from my previous post] can lead to misleading conclusions.

i have seen [and experienced] relaxer damaged hair, and i have seen [and experienced] healthy relaxed hair.

i have seen and experienced healthy natural hair, and i have seen and experienced damaged natural hair. 

it is a mistake to assume that just because a process can cause damage, that it does in every or even most cases. 

there are just too many variables [the care of the hair, the products used, the health of the individual, etc.]

Edited by LEOLADYSW
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic