BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

PhD in public health

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ladydlite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Ladydlite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PhD in public health
    Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 12:38am
Does anyone have a PhD in public health? I'm in the process of applying to programs now and would love to get your input, from research, dissertation topics, job prospects after graduation, etc. I'm interested in maternity and child health disparities for black women.
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 12:41am
Wrapping up my MSc .. finalizing my diss

Do it.

I'm seriously debating it as well.

Edited by afrokock - Dec 03 2012 at 12:51am
honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 12:44am
I wanted to pursue a Master's in Public Health. Do some volunteer work within that field to get experience and build rapport with people who can be good references for you.

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 12:48am
What was your diss topic op?
fairyQueen092 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fairyQueen092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 12:49am
What type of jobs could you get with a degree in public health? My school just offered this as a bachelors degree program.
ThABxBoRoUgH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThABxBoRoUgH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 1:46am
I'm applying for an MPH right now (I plan on going to med school after). All I know is that the PhD programs in PH want you to have some work/field experience in public health. Do you have an MPH already or are you trying to go straight into a PhD program from undergrad?
Ladydlite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladydlite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 1:46am
I don't have a dissertation topic as of yet. I'm still working on my applications.

There are plenty of jobs you could get with a MPH, DrPh or PhD in public health. I would like to work with a federal agency with the degree after I complete it for job security, good pay and benefits afterwards. I am also interested in opening my own clinics here and abroad in Africa.
Ladydlite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladydlite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 1:48am
I don't have a MPH, but I do have a MSW. The programs I am applying to do not require work experience in the field, although it helps. I am leaning towards the DrPh instead of the PhD.
rubynaturalprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubynaturalprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 2:21am
Im currently prepping for my MPH, volunteering and such but our interests are the same.  Im interested in maternal and child health among AA women and African women. Im in W.Africa now visiting family and volunteering. 

Best of wishes to you though! A PhD will get you into a leadership position or maybe research if thats your thing. Try studentdoctorforum.net I love that forum :) There is alot of advice to go around on there. 
stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 3:13am
I don't know if information on MPHs will help you but as an outsider looking I know a lot of MPHs. I have more than a few friends/acquaintance with MPHs from Columbia and NYU I can say that from what I have seen the ones who are paid what they are worth and enjoy their jobs went the consulting/corporate route. My BFF is in research and hates her job she has done research for NYU, Cornell, and Columbia for aids, diabetes in black males, etc and she found it to be hard thankless work for low pay. She is now trying to get in to the corporate/consulting world as well where salaries and work life balance is better. She also wants to get her PHD because she thinks it will be better for her if she stays in research. My friends in consulting all seem to love their jobs. One does research for pharmaceutical companies and has been on the fast track at work another is in DC working for Booze Allan and this is her first real job out of college. If you plan on going to med school it seems to be a great leg up a few of my friends went that route. I say go for it but make sure you go to a highly ranked school, get oversees practicum experience, and work for a large hospital network or corporation stay away from University research.

Edited by stardaqueenb23 - Dec 03 2012 at 3:32am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style