BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 27>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:49pm
Haha ok.
Good stuff.

Also, my remarks regarding the creative process and it being an abstruse lane
was speaking more about my feelings in the other thread "Black Identity".
Like.. you can be all for the struggle, Support, mentor, ect.. but creativity is personal...
its not always about other peoples definition.. its how you chose to define yourself.

Im convinced you can do both.

Edited by OoDles O - Mar 01 2014 at 12:52pm
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:50pm
tryna find the d/l link
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

OoDles O,

What exactly is it that you have a problem with? In terms of my criticism?

Is he not perpetuating colorism?

<div id="irc_mimg">

He is a Black man... he made it a point to be surrounded by women who are not his complexion... on an album, titled G I R L, paying homage to women. He literally excluded women who mirror his image on his album in favor for 3 that don't Stern Smile

ok Oodles, this has nothing to do with colorism. Nothing at all

Ha-ha! Killing it again Alias. I'm actually a fan of his, but that doesn't make you any less right!

This all too common parlance of "let's include everybody" often ends with black folk being totally discounted or pitifully marginalized.
That this comes from a black man, who says that he understands our plight, makes it even worse. It's yet another way to yield to yt folk; their standard of beauty, their power structure, their everything.

Ok, so there is a sister on his cover. But who would have guessed?

If I could speak to Pharrell, I'd say "C'mon Pharrell. I loved your Frontin video. The young lady in the baseball cap was a vision. Just lovely. Why not another one like her on your album cover? Why not three like her? Why not? Be honest and tell us why you really chose a certain look to the exclusion of all others?"

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

The girl in the back has to be black. I can tell by her edges lol

That's what I thought at first but Pharrell indicated is the one in the red lipstick.  I mean....who knew?  *shrugs*
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

The one to the far right.  Please ...somebody...I need that as a floaty face.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I cant remember the last time I actually saw a album cover anyway...people still buying cds??? The only way I might see it is when it shows up on my Ipad when I play a song and 9/10 I don;t sit there and watch the screen.

If I have any interaction with his music its because he produced someone else, his music has always been uhhh different. That song "happy" makes me think of  a show in vegas starring Wayne Brady . I turn it when it comes on, sort of like John Legend.

That was Pharrell?  I thought it was John Legend.LOL  Ida lost on that Jeopardy question.
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

these bishes will never be happy with nothin.LOL
If the woman isnt midnight black she isnt black. we get it, light butts dont count for sh*t. okay.

I don't think that is the issue here. Light skinned people isn't what is upsetting people. People are just tired of seeing the same ol discrimination and being told get over it. I feel that the battle is right just not the target imho.

F8, you're spot on. However, given Pharrell's status, the insult/wound feels less like a pin prick and more like a machete strike. It could have, and should have, been prevented. Instead, the head-in-sand march goes on.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

^ Her song was trash (like always) but I thought the male reactions to it was very interesting because they were always dismissive to our struggles but they were upset when the tables were turned.

They was hella mad fuccwhatchuheard. LOL
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:17pm
i need this album on vinyl!
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 1:18pm
did missy co produce come get it bae?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 27>