Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pharrell Williams Responds To G I R L Backlash
    Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:50pm

Pharrell Williams is addressing the backlash he’s received because of the cover of his new album  G I R L for not featuring any black women. Williams appeared on NYC’s 105.1′s Breakfast Club and spoke with Charlemagne.

Williams was quick to point out that one of the women on the cover is actually black.

Check out Williams’ comments below:

What really disappointed me is they jumped the gun, because the one I’m standing closest to is black. She’s a black girl from Wisconsin that I used to date over ten years ago or maybe like twelve years ago. That just must suck man for people to look at something and to assume they know what’s going on. If they just bothered to listen to my album, they would know that my album was an ode to women, period. And the one thing that I’m trying to kill…well I can’t kill anything…but the one thing I was just trying to help and aid in changing the crazy statuesque standard of you gotta be white, waif, and thin for you to be beautiful.

Williams also discussed his song “Marilyn Monroe”:

My next record is called “Marilyn Monroe” and the chorus is, ‘Not even Marilyn Monroe who Cleopatra pleased, Not even Joan of Arc, That don’t mean nothing to me, I just want a different girl.’

So that means no matter what color you are, what size you are, what you’re into, your sexual orientation, I respect you as a woman because I know without you, none of us would be here. But unfortunately, they looked at the cover & they didn’t see what they felt like — I don’t know what the definition is. That she’s a light-skinned black woman. But I mean, what is the conversation? So is our president not black? Is Lenny Kravitz not one of our greatest? What are we talking about? Is Lisa Bonét in or out?

I’m not mad because I understand. I understand that plight. My dad is a dark-skinned man. I understand that, I know what that is all day long. Have I lived it specifically? Yeah, I’m a black man.

They just reported I was the first black person to go number one on pop radio since Rihanna, but then you’re gonna shoot at me? What do you mean? I’m gonna turn 41 in April. Of course I’m doing this for us. What are you talking about, man?

My mom is a black woman who is a huge part of my business. My business is run by another black woman and I’m married to a black woman. What are you talking about?

Charlemagne then makes a joke about including a dark skinned woman like Gabourey Sidibe in his next video to make people happy.

I refuse. My whole album is about women — period. There’s such a bigger statement that I’m making in the album that relates to all women and that’s how I think we bring everyone together is when we respect the female species across the board. I’m not telling you my album don’t have no slick, perverse things. That’s what I do sometimes!  I like curves I like eyes, beauty, body, all that stuff. But there are some real, true, keystone points about how I feel about women as it pertains to humanity, the social imbalance, how they don’t get paid as much as men do. Or like how these legislatures are trying to tell women what they can and can’t do with their body. Meanwhile, these same people are beneficiaries to a woman. Not a man, but a woman agreeing to have them, but you’re going to tell them when they can and can’t do it. It just bothers me because they’re missing the point.

Pharrell ended the conversation in regards to the black woman on the cover:

Man, it must suck to be that black woman that’s on my cover right now because she’s black. When they find out that she is black, then what? Then we’re arguing amongst ourselves within color. Then the argument’s going to be she’s not brown enough. Then my question to you is, are y’all asking me do I have an Indian person on the cover? Why aren’t you asking about a Pakistani person? A Middle Eastern person on the cover. I just…MAN! What are we talking about? We’re making huge strides here. Let’s unify, dude. ‘Cause honestly, if you know anything about me, if you’ve seen any of my videos, you seen any of the girls I’ve ever dated, you know I like ‘em all.. You would know that.

Check out the video below:

Sponsored Links

AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:53pm
Blah blah blah
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:55pm
That album ain't for us.

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 5:57pm
I really have no words to describe how astoundingly ignorant and lost this "colorblind" generation is... no words
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:00pm
Btw,

"Colorblind" is just a code word for anti-Black/anti-all Black
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:03pm
wow... talk about reaching. this album is hot fiya, tho.
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:07pm
The two girls in the middle look exactly alike.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:20pm
Pharrell has an irritating voice after more than one spin.  He knows exactly what people meant by black...that chick is the same color as the white girls and her hair is not a celebration of multi-cultural women, otherwise she would at least be kinky and curly.  I hate when ppl are deliberately obtuse when they're confronted on racial things.  
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 6:32pm
I can't say how much I dislike this guy and guys like him

This is the go-to argument that Black men use to shut down any credible frustrations that dark Black women have regarding colorism

Gabby S. is always used because her humanity is a joke to damn near everybody, even some Black women. What a way to shut us up

Meanwhile, Phailrrell turns the argument back on Black women for not concerning ourselves with the plight of "Middle Eastern women" and how we're "missing the point"... wait what?

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Charlemagne then makes a joke about including a dark skinned woman like Gabourey Sidibe in his next video to make people happy.

I refuse. My whole album is about women — period. There’s such a bigger statement that I’m making in the album that relates to all women and that’s how I think we bring everyone together is when we respect the female species across the board. I’m not telling you my album don’t have no slick, perverse things. That’s what I do sometimes!  I like curves I like eyes, beauty, body, all that stuff. But there are some real, true, keystone points about how I feel about women as it pertains to humanity, the social imbalance, how they don’t get paid as much as men do. Or like how these legislatures are trying to tell women what they can and can’t do with their body. Meanwhile, these same people are beneficiaries to a woman. Not a man, but a woman agreeing to have them, but you’re going to tell them when they can and can’t do it. It just bothers me because they’re missing the point.

OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:03pm
Dang Alias.
He doesn't get any points for marrying black though?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 27>
  Share Topic