FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phantom Pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phantom Pregnancy
    Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 1:54pm
Know anyone who has had one? I saw the story on Yahoo about a woman in Brazil who had all of the symptoms of pregnancy, even the belly and when she went to have an emergency C-section, there was no baby. They said she altered her prenatal tests, how do you do that? Her husband said that she said she was pregnant a year ago and that she miscarried, but never showed a death certificate and now she has been admitted into psychiatric care. It is quite a sad story. The woman is 37 and obviously wants a baby. Anyways, I went to Wikipedia to find out a bit more. 

I just don't understand how doctors cannot be able to detect that there is no baby. 

Phantom pregnancy: Imagining you’re pregnant when you’re not

Dr Manny's Notes

FoxNews.com
  • pregnancy_belly_640.jpg

Today in the news, there are reports of a 37-year-old woman in Brazilwho went to the hospital, because she feared that her pregnancy was at risk. When she arrived at the hospital, the doctors examined her and noted that she looked pregnant – with an enlarged abdomen and symptoms of nausea.

Upon failing to identify a fetal heart rate, the doctors conducted an emergency caesarean section on the woman – only to realize there was no baby inside her.

False pregnancy, phantom pregnancy, or pseudocyesis, is a rare but very real condition. Over the years, I’ve had patients with this condition, which is characterized by a woman’s belief that she is pregnant when she is not. She feels all the symptoms of pregnancy – including nausea, vomiting, weight gain, fatigue, tender breasts and enlargement of the abdomen. However, all of these symptoms are driven by psychological factors and not a true pregnancy.

Though phantom pregnancies are not well understood yet, we do know they often occur in women with a poor obstetrical history, such as history of miscarriage or infertility. Many times, these psychological factors can even influence the hormonal pathways in the brain, increasing levels of pregnancy hormones and stimulating the reproductive organs. This can even lead to the stimulation of milk producing cells in the breasts.

Many of these patients experience these symptoms for months, and they are often quite alarmed when they are told there is no pregnancy after they seek medical advice. Doctors need to be very careful in handling these cases, so that women involved can get the proper counseling and help they need.

On a final note, you will be surprised to know that men can also suffer from false pregnancy – although that’s a story for another day.

Edited by khivey - Dec 21 2013 at 1:55pm
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 2:18pm
Dumbest Dr.s on earth.
They don't have sonograms?
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 2:27pm
I wonder if the doctors can be sued for giving her a C-section when she didn't need. Unless she wasn't going to any of her doctor's appointments. It is so weird. I've heard of women thinking they are pregnant because they missed a period or whatever, but I mean..she had the belly and all of that. Never heard of this before
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 2:43pm
Imaging isn't 100% especially if the pregnancy isn't in the uterus. And they might have thought she had a tumor or something. There is a type of tumor that grows in the uterus that is difficut to see in imagng but it looks like a false pregnancy because the woman will look pregnant and have a positive hCG. The doctors probably didn't know what else to do so....sometimes you have to go "fishing".
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 3:04pm
The mind can create anything you want it to, the tricky part is sharing your lie with others make you insane....
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 6:53pm
She must be fat.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 7:04pm
there was this family friend who claimed to be pregnant for like 12 or 13 months.  she actually looked pregnant and swollen.  she had a baby shower and the whole nine.  months later everybody was like hasnt it been like 11 or 12 month.  i swear a year went by and that was the end of it.  no one even asked for their gifts back. my people. *shrug*  i guess they charged it to the game.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 7:06pm
i remember i thought i was pregnant once and i went to my doctor and she was like no you've just gotten fat...lol
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

i remember i thought i was pregnant once and i went to my doctor and she was like no you've just gotten fat...lol

LOL
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

there was this family friend who claimed to be pregnant for like 12 or 13 months.  she actually looked pregnant and swollen.  she had a baby shower and the whole nine.  months later everybody was like hasnt it been like 11 or 12 month.  i swear a year went by and that was the end of it.  no one even asked for their gifts back. my people. *shrug*  i guess they charged it to the game.
Dead Something similar happened with my sister's ex-friend. She claimed she was pregnant. We all had a baby shower and everything. She never had a baby. She showed up at an event at someone's house. I asked her if the imaginary nanny was watching the baby.
Yes I knew for sure she was never pregnant and faked/imagined it.

Edited by ImThatDiva - Dec 21 2013 at 7:30pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>