Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Personal Projects: Discuss, update, celebrate!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:52pm
Educational goals: Get good grades on the courses I have this year
Personal goals: Figure out what path my love life will take
Financial goals: Do less shopping, save more, and pay off my tuition by December 1.
Work goals: Find more projects to manage
Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 2:21pm

A Librarian's Tips For Keeping Your New Year's Resolution

For those of us who struggle with resolutions, it may be helpful to step back. Before focusing on the resolution, take some time to learn the best our culture has to offer on how people meet goals, break bad habits and establish good ones.

2012-12-24-NYBooks2697.jpg

From these three books, I gleaned three strategies to help us keep our New Year's resolutions in 2013.

Don't rely on willpower. Willpower is overrated as a means for making sustainable changes in our lives.

The authors of "Change Anything" called this the willpower trap:

"When people believe that their ability to make good choices stems from nothing more than their willpower -- and that willpower is a quality they're either born with or they're not -- they eventually stop trying altogether. The willpower trap keeps them in a depressing cycle that begins with heroic commitment to change, which is followed by eroding motivation and terminated inevitably by relapse into old habits."

Charles Duhigg, in "The Power of Habit," explored the metaphor of willpower as a muscle. Willpower can be fatigued by one task and, therefore, unavailable for a later one. This explains why a resolution to exercise after work will falter at the end of an unexpectedly hard day.

On the other hand, "The Power of Habit" also covered studies showing that willpower can be strengthened over time. A success in one area that requires willpower, say going to the gym, can revitalize other healthy habits like eating better. Willpower can help in the long run, but isn't the only tactic available.

Develop new skills. "Change Anything" advocates skill acquisition as a powerful tool:

"Every time you try your best to do what you know is right and you fail, there's a good chance that your failure can be traced in part to a gap in knowledge or a missing skill."

As a librarian, I use books to increase my knowledge and skills. There is a book, or many, for most resolutions, from eat healthier to improve my photography.

In "Emotional Equations," Chip Conley pointed out that any skill takes practice:

"If you stick with a skill, you start to see some improvement over time until you hit the dreaded plateau when your skill level just seems to coast for a while even though you're pouring energy into improving. Then, all of a sudden, you find that your skill ratchets up to the next level. That's how mastery works. It's not one smooth, upward-facing line of improvement; it happens in fits and starts."

Get support. Have you joined or created a support group for your New Year's resolution? According to "The Power of Habit," this may be a vital step in the success of your venture.

"The evidence is clear: If you want to change a habit, you must find an alternative routine, and your odds of success go up dramatically when you commit to changing as part of a group. Belief is essential, and it grows out of a communal experience, even if that community is only as large as two people."

"Change Anything" used the term "accomplices" for people in our lives who enable our bad habits and "friends" for people who empower behaviors that aid in meeting our goals. Fortunately, accomplices can sometimes be turned into friends.

AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:22pm
get somesort of entry level job in the finance sector if that fails any job will suffice
start uni in september
improve my maths
improve my eating/lose weight
get a make over
Have BSL hair
be more assertive.

make some new friends/get more social experiences/become likeable(OuchConfused)
Don't know if i'll complete them this yr...just goals i had for awhile
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 7:42pm
Just completed one project...I stuck to my schedule and completed it in the timeframe I gave myself...with little to no procrastination
Junior Jr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Junior Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 7:44pm
not setting or keeping records of goals has kept me from many disappointments

jr.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by cvzx cvzx wrote:

Just completed one project...I stuck to my schedule and completed it in the timeframe I gave myself...with little to no procrastination

Congrats! That's what I like to hear.

I just did a little work on cleaning out my emails. Deleted like 6k. I already feel better.

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:26am
get out of all debt, I doubt I will pay all of my students loans off, but I will put a big dent in the amount.
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

jr.

and probably  held you back from your full potential. disappointment is a part of life. make realistic goals with a well thought out plan and you'll experience less of it. 
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

jr.

So do you just kind of work on your goals subconsciously?

Sometimes that works for me...just doing what I need to do without thinking directly on it. But I don't know if it's sustainable...or it's only sustainable for me when I have systems/routines in place that make it easy to take action without thinking about it.

I think the fear of not meeting an objective or being disappointed can be an obstacle. Do you (or anyone else) set your expectations low or are you just very realistic about what you can accomplish? And at what point do you push past what you already know you can do and expand into things that are more difficult/complex?
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:42am
Great thread!

My biggest goals are to finish my back, get to some sort of sustainable health (God-willing), and to lay the groundwork to run for the DC school board in 2014. Now that I'm retired I have nothing but time so I have to use it wisely.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic