Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Pressing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Permanently Pressed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Permanently Pressed?
    Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:20pm
My friend and I were discussing hair and she told me that if you press your hair long enough that it will eventually stop reverting and stay straight. Is that true? I got my hair pressed as a child but it was not regularly and when it was done it always reverted to a 'fro afterwards. I was thinking of straightening my daughters's hair for my cousin's wedding-she will be almost four and her hair is a 4a/,b. But I don't wasn't to ruin her mbl hair since I have never pressed anyone's hair and when I used to flatiron my own hair it would break miserably.

Edited by nicks_hotmama06 - Jan 19 2013 at 2:22pm
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:47pm
Hum. I just saw a similar post about heat damage. Feel free to reply to the part about my daughter.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:59pm
i think 4 is too young for pressed hair.

Edited by tatee - Jan 19 2013 at 3:15pm
momentoindigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 3:10pm
pressing it "longer" is not straightening it permanently. It's heat damaging it. And it doesn't leave it a nice straight, it's a frizzy, fried, damaged and broken straight. I was told Dominican Salons do this sometimes because straight hair is their preference so some may not care if it doesn't revert back. But regardless... it's damaged hair that's going to shed and break. So there's no right way to damage hair on purpose.

I also think 3-4 is too young to press, especially textures that maybe kinkier or coarse because most people's inclination is to get it bone straight and keep passing the iron to try and make it do something it won't do. Their hair is fragile at that age. I would recommend curl formers or curl rods or flexi rods. Here's a video of the results on hair that may be similar to her texture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dsCorrd-TI&list=PL2DB6FF2EAB5449D0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 3:35pm
Thanks ladies. I am not a fan of salons because of my less than stellar experiences....and the fact that I don't want anyone in her tender head. So anything I do I will do myself. I keep her hair in protective styles and occassionally do African threading so it looks blown out/like a stretched afro. But it swells up. So I will invest in curlformers and some rollers for sets. Lol, since I own neither a flatiron, pressing comb or blow dryer, this will save me money in addition to her length. Trying to get the Rudy look by the time she is eight!
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 4:48pm
yes if you flat iron it enough then usually the ends, which have seen the most heat exposure, will retain the straightness even when wet. happened to me. affected my ends about 4-5 inches up. 
momentoindigo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momentoindigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:50pm
Its good that u aren't trusting of salons (to me). They just don't teach u healthy practices and good ingredients there... just how to make things pretty more often than not. That's how I ended up with a perm at age 8. Specifically request a press. I walked out of there with a perm smh. And it fell out from there. The technology and resources we have via the internet are going to be lifesavers for the future of healthy textured hair. That's for sure. There's so much good info out there. Soak it up.
DustyJoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DustyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 6:25am
Pressing would be fine but try the cream straitening and not the ironing because sometimes it causes hair falling problems.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 8:53am
Got my hair pressed with the pressing comb on the gas stove every two weeks growing up. Each and every week my hair would shrink back into an Afro. People are using flatirons these days and say they are getting heat damage, I am not sure what people are doing. My mother used grease no so called heat protectants. Straight up grease. She would press my hair bone straight and it would last two weeks, but when she washed it it would shrink back to an Afro. The only differences I can see is that my mom always let my hair air dry. She would wash/deep condition it on Saturday evening and then in the morning before Church she would lay that pressing on it as only she could. I thought I had a relaxer when she got finished with my hairSmile. When I got older, I tried to press like her, but I was no good at it and to scared I would burn my hair out. You got to know how to work that pressing comb. Boy did she! Another major difference is that my mother was trained as a old school beautician. So they were taught how to press hair, they were not doing relaxers in her salon when she was working.

I would not press your daughters hair simply because you are not a professional, although you say you do not trust the professionals. There are lots of good ones out there and they are trained....I think at your daughters age the afro puff ponytails looks so cute especially with her texture. Try this creme called Afro stretch creme by 4naturals. It coils my tightly coily type 4 hair, so I know it will curl your daughters hair, with her still being so young. This creme is very rich it moisturizes and coils the hair so well. Give her some puffs with beautiful hair decorations and she will look so cute. Trust even when you know what you are doing it is hard to press a 4 year old hair, once they feel that heat they will draw back. I did my nieces hair for an event and it came out good but it was hard work she was about 4 then. She has beautiful thick 4C hair, I just wanted to stretch it out some, so I didn't make it bone straight. Her hair reverted right back honestly by the next day with no water needed. All I used was grease. But you daughter has 4ab hair and that Afro stretch creme will work really well on it. If interested you can find it at Walmart. Blessings to you!
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 9:25am
There is nothing wrong with pressing your 4 year old daughter's hair for an event from time to time. I believe too often would not be good.
Yes, if you straighten the hair regularly..the curl pattern will break down and that is heat damaged hair.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>