BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Paulette Brown: President-elect of the ABA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paulette Brown: President-elect of the ABA
    Posted: May 13 2014 at 8:26am

Paulette Brown, first Black woman president-elect of powerful American Bar Association

By Roberto Alejandro, Special to the AFRO

PauletteBrownABA

Paulette Brown (Courtesy Photo)

Baltimore Native, Howard Graduate to Take Office in August 2015

(NNPA)–This August, another glass ceiling will be shattered when Paulette Brown begins her term as president-elect of the American Bar Association and becomes the first Black woman to ever ascend to the position.

Brown will serve as president-elect for one year before taking over as president in August 2015.

Brown was raised in northwest Baltimore as the daughter of two working parents, Wilbur and Thelma Brown, who protected her and kept her so focused on her school work that she said she had never even heard of marijuana until she reached college.

Brown entered Howard University as a freshman with the intention of becoming a social worker, knowing that she wanted to help people. Far from her mind was the possibility of leading the 400,000-member ABA, which sets standards for lawyers and law schools throughout the country.

“It never occurred to me,” said Brown.

Over the course of that first year at Howard, however, she realized law, not social work, was her true vocation. After graduating from Howard, Brown received her law degree from the Seton Hall University School of Law, and has been practicing law since 1976. She is a partner in a New Jersey law firm where she specializes in labor law, employment law and commercial litigation.

“When I first started going to court and so forth,” said Brown, “I had the usual experiences. ‘Are you the defendant? Are you the court reporter? Are you the plaintiff? No? Well then, who are you then?’ It never occurred to them that I could be the lawyer.”

Despite her election to the ABA’s top post, she said she still faces such assumptions.

“I’m still asked whether I’m a flight attendant,” she said. “As recently as two weeks ago.”

It is this persisting presumption of Black female inferiority that makes her election to the presidency of the ABA so historically significant.

“Her ascension to the presidency just opens the door for so many African-American females to even believe that that is possible,” said Alicia Wilson, the fundraising committee co-chair for the Alliance of Black Women Attorneys of Maryland. “She has broken down barriers and opened up doors and kept them open for a whole host of African-American women attorneys.”

After 38 years in a White-male dominated profession, Brown has encountered, challenged, and broken through many a glass ceiling, and has left a legacy of often unsung accomplishments. She said her father helped set her success in motion by instilling in Brown the value that there is no such thing as “women’s work.”

“My father always said there were no girl jobs and no boy jobs,” said Brown. “My brother had to wash dishes and clean up just like we did—and my father did too. He did laundry, he cooked, he did everything. And he went to work every day.”

Brown said she believes that her selection by the ABA leadership as its next president carries with it a great responsibility.

Because the term of ABA president only lasts one year, Brown said she is determined to focus on no more than three goals for which she can produce tangible results within that time frame. While the exact areas of focus are still being negotiated with a group of trusted advisers, among her possible areas of interest are increasing awareness of the fact that the elderly are often among the groups most subjected to domestic violence, as well as the need to improve the access to counsel for those who cannot afford it under the Supreme Court’s decision in Gideon v. Wainwright.

One thing she will certainly do, however, is make sure that wherever she travels in an official capacity for the ABA she has the opportunity to impact young children who themselves may not see the possibility of a position like ABA president in their future.

“They need to see that somebody up close and personal, that they can have a conversation with, that this is something that they can do,” said Brown. “That even if it had never occurred to them, because it had never occurred to me, that as time goes on, it can be done.”

http://newpittsburghcourieronline.com/2014/05/11/paulette-brown-first-black-woman-president-elect-of-powerful-american-bar-association/

Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 9:29am
omg I've met her....she's nice.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:23am
Congrats to her! 
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:24am
Omg. Are you the defendant?flight attendant? Court reporter?OuchNo dummy! President elect of the whole ABA. Ha I bet some people are salty! Good. 
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:43am
Wonderful!
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:44am

MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:46am
Way to go!!
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:50am
good for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!Clap

i would love for her to update her hairstyle...
K_Camille View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:52am
Nice article.  Congrats to her Clap
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 10:53am
amazing!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>