Perfect Hair Collection

Own a Pair of These? You've Been Lied To

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Own a Pair of These? You've Been Lied To
    Posted: May 10 2014 at 3:24pm
http://www.policymic.com/articles/89107/own-a-pair-of-these-you-ve-been-lied-to

Own a Pair of These? You've Been Lied To

Tom McKays avatar image By Tom McKay  

own, a, pair, of, these?, youve, been, lied, to, , Own a Pair of These? You've Been Lied To

The news: Vibram can no longer tell people that its signature goofy FiveFingers shoes have health benefits, according to a class-action lawsuit for $3.75 million settled earlier this month. Vibram, which claimed its shoes could reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscles, must now repay all claimants unless it comes up with proof that the shoes worked as intended.

Everyone who purchased the shoes between 2009 and the date of the settlement is now entitled to a refund of up to $94 per pair, though most claimants will received $20-$50. It's good for up to two pairs, but FiveFingers can request proof of purchase.

Vibram FiveFingers latched on to the burgeoning "return to the natural" trend that also included things like the Paleo Diet and Erick Erickson. Here's an example of what they were telling customers, from a page called "Why Barefoot Works":

Just remember, improving the skill of those muscles then practicing and using those muscles in Vibram FiveFingersĀ® will increase both endurance and strength. This will have profound beneficial effects on your body and well-being.

Who got ripped off? Mostly barefoot runners and tech yuppies who liked the disruptive concept. Silicon Valley entrepreneur Tim Ferriss called them "nothing short of spectacular" in a blog post. Google co-founder Sergei Brin was apparently fond of wearing them at parties, while FiveFingers were made fun of in HBO's Silicon Valley. Supporters of barefoot running and the shoes were told it was more "natural" to run in FiveFingers and that it would cause less injuries and help heal foot conditions. In 2009, Born to Run author Chris McDougallexplained to Wired that, "If this were a drug, it would be yanked off the market" and said it fit into a running lifestyle "designed for persistence hunting." (For what it's worth, he now says henever meant to start the barefoot running movement.) Lots of running sites published glowing reviews.

But as Gawker notes, anyone who bought into Vibram's claims might just not be true, they might actually have been a little dangerous. A 2013 study concluded, "Increases in bone marrow edema [the precursor to a stress fracture] are more common in subjects who were transitioning to the [Vibram FiveFingers]" and advised that if runners chose to minimalist shoes that they should do so over a period longer than 10 weeks. The New York Times found that at minimum, anyone claiming the shoes were better for people of all running styles was probably wrong. One group of researchers found that almost a third of 566 runners tried the minimalist shoes, but 32% of them had experienced injuries they attributed to the footwear.

How do I file my claim? Vibrams will establish http://fivefingerssettlement.com/ (not active yet) as a way for anyone who wants a refund on their shoes. Additionally, the company will have to run 300 million ad impressions on Facebook and running websites to inform the public of the judgment.

Sponsored Links

nala52808 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 4:26pm
Us black people were too busy buying the Air Yeezys. We aint buyin no glorified toe socks
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 4:50pm
couldnt get down with them

wanted to buy a pair for ages but nah

i see guys squatting in the gym with them though
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 4:51pm
my ex bought one. I only seen him wear them once lol
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Was he white?
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Was he white?
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 6:07pm
He was black lol
Mixer View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 6:11pm
We know you like pink dack though.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 6:32pm
My best friend wore these ALL the time.  She rode her bike in them, went to bootcamp, the gym, etc. She told me a few weeks ago she wanted to buy another pair.
HeyBeautiful18 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyBeautiful18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 7:40pm
They look so strange

I've only seen them IRL one time
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures