Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i think what ricky is suggesting is many of the same things can be said for  poor communities that are not black.   if you transport yourself to backwoods trailer park hickville va i am sure many of these same issues are prevalent.  not saying it doesn't exist in the black community but it is not a black issue, imo.

and as far as reaping what you sow...that is a totally different sentiment entirely as far as i am concerned....

Poverty and lack of access and education affects every group adversely.

I just hate that there are times where we don't address the actual issue. Ricky is absolutely right to question those things because "they" spread all types of propaganda about us that is skewed and false all the time. There are some people however who take that to mean that the issue isn't real and use it as a reason not to tackle it. 

I as a person who is invested in my community and my people want to see us helping us to tackle these issues in a way that is relevant and applicable to us and takes our unique circumstances into account. 
Sponsored Links

JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Reaping what you sow means you can only get out of something as much as you put into it. You can't sow one thing and expect to reap something completely different.

So if I were in a relationship that I fully believed was monagamous, but my husband cheated, and brought home the the disease... what is it that I have sowed that could have led to this reaping?

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Reaping what you sow means you can only get out of something as much as you put into it. You can't sow one thing and expect to reap something completely different.

So if I were in a relationship that I fully believed was monagamous, but my husband cheated, and brought home the the disease... what is it that I have sowed that could have led to this reaping?

Unprotected sex is a known risk factor so...

ETA My bad I didn't see the word husband but this thread is about a particular area and social class suffering disproportionaty from HIV. If the only way people caught it was the way you described then it wouldn't be epidemic.

Edited by liesnalibis - Jun 28 2014 at 1:17pm
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:20pm

hmmmm...ok martin luther king used it an entirely different way...and since your comments were geared toward race (your own albeit), i (mistakenly) took it that way.  it also instantly gave me Malcolm x-ish vibes...you know... chickens coming home to roost and all.  but if you meant it differently ok.
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:21pm
NJ, one of the most depressing jobs that my aunt (an APN) had was as a clinician in a high school. She was absolutely astounded at the rates of STD and HIV infection. It makes sense though because her primary function was to serve the pregnant teens. The same behavior that results in unintended pregnancy also puts you as risk for STD and HIV. These teens are not linking their reckless behavior to their increased risk.

I also think about this one Dr who I came to really like. He has practiced around the world before ending up here. He says that his biggest shock was observing the similarities between the behavior of a lot of his patients here and in some of the poorest parts of South Africa. Poverty affect every population adversely. 
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:24pm
Oh yes I do mean chickens are coming home to roost but I don't know how Malcom or King used either phrase. I'm not saying anyone deserves it but I'm saying the values we encourage could only have this result.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

i think what ricky is suggesting is many of the same things can be said for  poor communities that are not black.   if you transport yourself to backwoods trailer park hickville va i am sure many of these same issues are prevalent.  not saying it doesn't exist in the black community but it is not a black issue, imo.

and as far as reaping what you sow...that is a totally different sentiment entirely as far as i am concerned....

Poverty and lack of access and education affects every group adversely.

I just hate that there are times where we don't address the actual issue. Ricky is absolutely right to question those things because "they" spread all types of propaganda about us that is skewed and false all the time. There are some people however who take that to mean that the issue isn't real and use it as a reason not to tackle it. 

I as a person who is invested in my community and my people want to see us helping us to tackle these issues in a way that is relevant and applicable to us and takes our unique circumstances into account. 

we are >here<. 

and i guess i ultimately judge people when it comes to stuff like this based on what i believe their ultimate end goal/game to be.  those that are in it for self generally show their true hand sooner or later...
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:25pm

Oh yes I do mean chickens are coming home to roost but I don't know how Malcom or King used either phrase. I'm not saying anyone deserves it but I'm saying the values we encourage could only have this result.

but that is exactly how each of them used those terms...so yeah...no.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:28pm

I don't know how Malcom or King used either phrase.

Geek
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:34pm

but that is exactly how each of them used those terms...so yeah...no.

Did they invent those terms? I didn't quote them.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic