Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 4:19am
IDK afro Im on page 11 or 12 trying to catch up.

lol at how y'all started talking about free clinics etc 

Ohh we have community health workers more grassrootsy (yes i made it up)/relatable than mr and ms fancy doctor, who do a fine frakken job (esp with new mommies) and they try to set up health and wellness demos in the poorer urban and in rural communities. But as with everything resources are limited. Y'all dont even know how fortunate you are to have the services (both the brick and mortar places and the online info they give out). Medicaid will (may) come and pick you up?ShockedShocked my grandpa 85+ (in England) wanted to move back to Jamaica till he reminded his many meds will not be dropped off at his house. LOL

Edited by Diane (35) - Jun 28 2014 at 4:22am
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Medicaid will (may) come and pick you up?ShockedShocked my grandpa 85+ (in England) wanted to move back to Jamaica till he reminded his many meds will not be dropped off at his house. LOL

yes.  there are services that will pick up the elderly and disabled to take them to receive medical treatment.

i'm convinced the lady across the street from me gets picked up for church as well too i think...lol

anyway, one of the outreach programs my old company would perform included an algorithm that would analyze the members diagnosis, charts and claims for top serious disease (disease management) .  and if there were any flags that would suggest that the member wasn't receiving scheduled care or filling scheduled scripts...one of our nurses would call them to try to id the issue.  often it was transportation (lack of) related...in which case the nurse would connect/coordinate the member with the necessary service agencies...
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 8:15am

my gyns have asked if I wanted std testing

they were black women
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 11:20am
people put to much faith in Doctors! we need to take charge and responsibility for our own health and that of our families
MinnyMiss16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Minny are you saying that MANY GAY men are sleeping with women too because there are not enough women to go around?

I know gay, down low, and straight men who sleep with women, but what I was trying to say is that there arent enough MEN  in the black community to go around, not women.
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

Maysay, sadly enough I see where you're coming from.  At the end of the day, I don't see why there is any surprise about black folks and HIV.    It's not like we're out here making GREAT lifestyle choices in every other areas of our lives, and now we just happen to make poor choices when it comes to sex.  Truth is, black folks are at the bottom of the list in almost every marker associated with lifestyle choice.  It just happens to be an HIV conversation today.  We could have a conversion tomorrow on Type II diabetes, and Bam, we're at the bottom of the list again.  Next day, Obesity. Same thing.  Next day, unwanted pregnancies. Same thing. Next day, financial health, and on and on and on.  Yes, there are socio-economic factors that can't be discounted, but it's not like most black folks are out here making great choices in most areas of their lives.  It is what it is.

Rohan, I totally agree. That is why I really avoid having discussions about these topics b/c the tend to not reach the people that need the info the most. They turn to debates about what is right vs what is reality (not here in this thread tho). Then when you factor the people that will argue you down against just because it is not occurring in their specific family or their specific neightborhood....it just is another roadblock against getting access to information and care to the people that want and need it.

I'd rather just continue to work on the front line and talk about the challenges and possible solutions with the people that are out there in dire need of help & information to prevent these issues.

I have to agree as well. As someone who works on the ground level of one of the poorest communities in Chicago I have to agree. My friends, family and I  used to have conversations about this very thing and each time we would be scratching our heads. Everyone knows about HIV/AIDS, STD's ,etc, right? Knowing about and taking hold of your health are 2 different things. And there are several factors at play including poverty, access to resources, the stigma associated with the resources and the diseases, education, hopelessness, blind trust, fear, etc. Things are not equal everywhere. 

I can speak from my experience in the ER. It never fails that around 2 am on a random day I would get a few young ladies who tell the triage nurse that they are there for abdominal or back pain. You get them to the back and they reveal that they also have cramping or vaginal discharge. We do a pelvic and offer them the antibiotic cocktail affectionately called the "party pack." When I would also offer HIV testing they would either quietly decline or get highly offended. Some clinicians wouldn't even offer it because they know that they may get cussed out. Its a shame because the same act that potentially exposed them to STD's also expose them to HIV. And having an STD puts you at higher risk for HIV infection.

Its also interesting to note that there are other times when young couples come together and only the girl is getting tested. I always offer for the partner but they shy away and in some cases also get angry. They are not willing to acknowledge that her having it means that they likely have it as well. Then there are the cases of the guys getting treated on the low and then pretending that the "dirty thot" got it from someone else. Boils my blood every time. This is also why I will not blame this epidemic on DL men. There are enough straight people who make poor sexual health decisions to negate that. 

And Rohan, I can also agree that this hopeless mindset also expands to other areas of healthcare and diagnoses especially in regards to hypertension, renal disease, and diabetes. 
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Summary?

Social and health issues are complex with complex solutions.  LOL
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Minny are you saying that MANY GAY men are sleeping with women too because there are not enough women to go around?

I know gay, down low, and straight men who sleep with women, but what I was trying to say is that there arent enough MEN  in the black community to go around, not women.

MinnyMiss16, there was a documentary or article a few years back about the teens & young women in Anacostia, DC that have been exposed to HIV and it was exactly the scenario that you pointed out. Young men in that region tend to be oppressed, have low education and low opportunities and are socialized by their peers to be as promiscuous as possible and have the goal to smash every woman that looks in their direction. The girls/young women, all tend to date men from the region and since bisexual black men are the most loathed people in the black community, bisexual men are not communicating that they have routinely practiced high risk behavior with other men (in the community, in jail, etc) and they have unprotected sex with the women of that region. The Cycle begins, continues and has not ended. Factor in that it is very socially acceptable to have unprotected sex (as seen with the high # of teen pregnancies in Anacostia), it is very hard to stop the cycle.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 12:46pm
No surprise when black women also have the highest unwed childbirth rate and the highest abortion rate and people think it's cute and encourage it. All of these problems keep the others going. It's hard to plug up a sinking boat when people are constantly deliberately punching more holes in it.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 12:47pm
You reap what you sow.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>