Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

that is a good explanation

remember the fake obama mugshots that were on t shirts?

People are comfortable with these deeply ingrained stereotypes

Makes me uncomfortable when even black people repeat them or agree with them as truth

Sponsored Links

NadiaPost View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NadiaPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

It's really sad. I had a low white blood cell count one time and later found out that it was just a common condition that occurs in black people from time to time, is normal, harmless and corrects itself.
I went to the hematologist and before he even drew any blood, he was like "Confused I can look at you and see that you dont have AIDS or cancer".  I was like, what?Geek
Then he said, "You dont use IV drugs, I dont think that you are having hi risk sex and you said that you just recently gained 20 lbs and if you had cancer you'd be losing weight" and he started laughing, saying, trust me, you will be fine. I was like, ok dude -  just draw the gatdam blood.

I dont know what going through some doctors heads. If they arent shaming, they are making their own random judgements or just taking people's office visits lightly as hell with out the necessary decorum.

Wow so unprofessional and bootleg. For someone in the medical field to even say they can look at you and tell you don't have Aids is baffling. Hiv doesn't look the same as it did in the 1980's. Even people with full blown Aids don't look like they have full blown Aids in 2014. What a weird ass doctor
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by NadiaPost NadiaPost wrote:

It's really sad. I had a low white blood cell count one time and later found out that it was just a common condition that occurs in black people from time to time, is normal, harmless and corrects itself.
I went to the hematologist and before he even drew any blood, he was like "Confused I can look at you and see that you dont have AIDS or cancer".  I was like, what?Geek
Then he said, "You dont use IV drugs, I dont think that you are having hi risk sex and you said that you just recently gained 20 lbs and if you had cancer you'd be losing weight" and he started laughing, saying, trust me, you will be fine. I was like, ok dude -  just draw the gatdam blood.

I dont know what going through some doctors heads. If they arent shaming, they are making their own random judgements or just taking people's office visits lightly as hell with out the necessary decorum.

Wow so unprofessional and bootleg. For someone in the medical field to even say they can look at you and tell you don't have Aids is baffling. Hiv doesn't look the same as it did in the 1980's. Even people with full blown Aids don't look like they have full blown Aids in 2014. What a weird ass doctor

Exactly. A lot of people dont get visible effects from AIDS until their final weeks of life. It all depends on the AIDS related complications that the have.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:08pm
that doc is the worst.  he should have is license revoked.  wtf?  he is the reason mal practice insurance is sky f*ckin high.
MinnyMiss16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:33pm
I couldnt get through this thread with all the arguing so I'll some up my thoughts and I hope that they have not been repeated.

I know about 5 people with HIV, all gay men in their 20s, all but one thought that they were in a monogamous relationship.

Not only do I think that prison has a lot to do with this, but I also think that the proportion of black men to women is a big problem. There are too few black men to go around, whether yall are casually having sex, dating then broke up, or w.e and because of this, it's so much easier to transmit this virus to a larger amount of women.

It sucks and its scary. I currently live in D.C and am a bit apprehensive about dating black men period because I'm not trying to get caught up. Although it's mostly represented in Ward 8, I doubt that it hasn't seeped into other areas/classes within the black community here. 

I still think that the govt has a hand in the spread, but that's another thread for another day.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:47am
well anyone got a flu shot? @ Walgreens or some other random spot! I always think our gov. does things to try and reduce the popultion

Edited by naturesgift - Jun 28 2014 at 1:47am
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:49am
Minny are you saying that MANY GAY men are sleeping with women too because there are not enough women to go around?
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 2:58am

A lot of medical doctors do not give an HIV test in the annual physical. You have to specifically request it. Then the doctor looks at you crazy and wants to know if you had sex with a gay man, had an orgy or high-risk sex or if you used intravenous drugs. Then after the doctor gives the test. That alone turns some people off and makes them say, well since I havent done those things, Im probably fineApprove. Wrong. Very wrong.

YES. this happened to me  I was at uni and asked for STD checking and the doctor who i respected so muchCryCry, asked me the, i'm terming "risk assessment", questions, then told me i had no need to do it. I was flabbergasted and felt like she was judging me, i actually left without it then headed back to either another doctor there or my own doctor. If i recall correctly she also was saying it was very expensive and i was likeConfused. My uni has the hospital next door and i know the price couldn't be that much and i wasn't that broke.  I remember Epitome telling that similar story as well. 

The health plan most who are covered are with in Jamaica doesnt pay for STD testingConfusedConfused but we know the trick to get them to cover it now. FASSIES! Also You cant approach a lab to get tested you have to go to a doctor for them to write a lab requestAngryAngryAngry

I really dont understand why gynos/regular doctors but esp the gynos dont bring it up STD testing? everytime i ask one of doctors he rolls his eyes (since ive tested negative before) SHouldnt this be routine? Esp since he charges you $5 USD to take just the swabsOuch my other does all the painful ass dry swabs in his office and test everything right there EXPENSIVE AS HELL but worth it.

If i could thank your post above ten million times i would. If i had a gif or knew how to post them I would.ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 4:10am

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

if you don't have insurance how do you manage your yearly well woman visit?

The well woman visit is always free in state subsidized Free Clinics but most people snub their noses at clinics. Same way that a lot of people are unemployed/underemployed and are eligible for free coverage with zero copays under ACA/Obamacare, but snub their noses at it and didnt educate themselves and didnt enroll.

I dont work so i dont have health insurance, and i got kicked off my parents after i finished uni, so I just bite the bullet and pay out of pocket. I swear i dont miss my salary as much as i miss health and dentalLOL. Public Service Announcement for the Lurking Yardies

I know the cheapest places to get STD testing (Andrews Memorial Hospital, surprisingly as it's a private lab in a private hospital) because i called around (even when i was working). I can joke around with/sweet talk my first gyno into signing up the lab form without me having to pay for a doctor's visit. I know the Jamaica Aids Support has free rapid testing and if you ask nicely they'll draw the blood and do the syphillis one too (but that's more expensive for them and they only do it for every 20 or 50 or so persons, again I sweet talk them, they've prob upgraded to rapid but idk). I know a Pap Smear is cheapest at a regular doctor OR i can visit the Jamaica Cancer Society (never used) for PAP and Mammogram greatly subsidised. I know the Ministry of Health's National STI Prevention Program has a Mobile bus(es) (I've only used it on World AIDS Day) that does HIV/Syphilis rapid testing AND they post a monthly schedule of where they'll be on the website.

I've given up labs and the loooooooong waiting for results to be returned and all that for my other gyno Dr. Lennox Jacobs at Medical Associates Hospital he does in-house testing for everything right there again pricey nuh raas but the convenience. I love him!!!!! Best gyno in Jamaica.

I have an acquaintance that works at the  Blood Bank (which is attached to Comprehensive Clinic on Slipe Road- does free i believe STI testing- i've never used them) who said he'll give me the hook up (how did i forget?)OuchOuchOuch

Ive mentioned this before but i was FLABBERGASTED at the health care services at clinics out here FLABBERGASTED i was paying $$$$$$$$$ for free ish maybe 20 mins away (my coworkers teased me mercilessly for not knowing). Now folks will line up from 4 am to get a number, but I swear Im patient. Ive never actually been and i dont know if they rough up/ignore the folks or not (as plenty of healthcare profs out her like to do to the poor folks) but I speak proper English and look uptown they'd treat me different (as bad as that sounds/is) and if I dress right/talk to enough patients may think im doing an expose on them and don't mess with me.

True Story (ive mentioned on here before): Jason, young man living with HIV, who works with the national sti prevention program and is appears in the tele ads on the back of the mobile buses (i was just chatting with him and never knew who he was till he pointed to the bus, cue my coworkers teasing me) etc told me that he gets a ton of women throwing themselves at him (fully aware of his status) AND here's the kicker: some ask not to use condoms.DeadDeadDeadDeadDead I've even told men i have it and still they want to hit and hit raw, the phuckery i hear in responseDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 4:11am
Summary?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>