Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 25>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:17pm
I just don't look at black people that way 

There are a disproportionate number of blacks in lower socioeconomic brackets, that yes may skew the numbers

I'd wager that other groups in the same socioeconomic status and same access would have similar stats

If the economic dynamic were to shift so would our numbers 

The people in this thread are not exceptional hybrids, we care for our health, the health of our family as most do and we make use of the opportunities available to us

People have said the free clinics and/or the emergency room are not geared toward treatment, more so diagnosis that may be part of the problem

I'm convinced there are root causes other than black people are generally "inferior"

Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

wait what?  do you have Medicaid?  or Obamacare plan?

ACA...Here it's called Covered California.

And being single with no kids, I make too much for medicaid. Even being on temp disability was too much and that was no money at all.

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I could type all day about the chronic illnesses that are 100% preventable but whether you are killing yourself by having unprotected sex with potentially an infected person, whether you are eating yourself to a death from unregulated high cholesterol/Hypertension/diabetes, or whether you are smoking/drinking or drugging yourself to a grave, the fact is they all are preventable and why people consciously choose do any of these things that lead to preventable death can not be easily explained and never will be easily explained.

On a certain level, I do not care if a person chooses to drug/drink themselves to death, etc, but I do definitely care about sharing information to encourage awareness.
Awareness is my main focus for the people that may not be currently making careful choices, but  wish to make more prudent & informed choices going forward.

I think that I'm starting to see it just like I see type 2 diabetes and all those other lifestyle diseases. It's a personal choice and I honestly don't care about it unless it 1)affects me and my pocket or 2)affects innocent children.

I think I really no longer care for an explanation about why people are choosing to contract HIV. Just like I don't care about why people drink. Nobody is going to give me HIV so...I guess this is one less thing for me to worry about in the world.

Maysay, sadly enough I see where you're coming from.  At the end of the day, I don't see why there is any surprise about black folks and HIV.    It's not like we're out here making GREAT lifestyle choices in every other areas of our lives, and now we just happen to make poor choices when it comes to sex.  Truth is, black folks are at the bottom of the list in almost every marker associated with lifestyle choice.  It just happens to be an HIV conversation today.  We could have a conversion tomorrow on Type II diabetes, and Bam, we're at the bottom of the list again.  Next day, Obesity. Same thing.  Next day, unwanted pregnancies. Same thing. Next day, financial health, and on and on and on.  Yes, there are socio-economic factors that can't be discounted, but it's not like most black folks are out here making great choices in most areas of their lives.  It is what it is.

Rohan, I totally agree. That is why I really avoid having discussions about these topics b/c the tend to not reach the people that need the info the most. They turn to debates about what is right vs what is reality (not here in this thread tho). Then when you factor the people that will argue you down against just because it is not occurring in their specific family or their specific neightborhood....it just is another roadblock against getting access to information and care to the people that want and need it.

I'd rather just continue to work on the front line and talk about the challenges and possible solutions with the people that are out there in dire need of help & information to prevent these issues.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

why would someone tell you when you broke up with someone "do you know he had AIDS?"
da fvkkk bitch?!!

Seeeee...with friends like these who needs enemies?

I can see why people don't want to disclose their status...because if they tell me, I'm the type to warn their sexual partners if that person is a friend or relative of mine.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:24pm

And being single with no kids, I make too much for medicaid. Even being on temp disability was too much and that was no money at all.

ok...i hope you picked a plan with a low out of pocket max....that is the key.  yes, the premium is a lil higher but when you do the math it ends up being cheaper (premium + deductible + copay + coinsurance) year over year...at least then there would be no surprises.

and i just can't understand why your pre-existing condition care wouldn't be covered now. wtf???????????????
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

There are a disproportionate number of blacks in lower socioeconomic brackets, that yes may skew the numbers

I'd wager that other groups in the same socioeconomic status and same access would have similar stats

The people in this thread are not exceptional hybrids, we care for our health, the health of our family as most do and we make use of the opportunities available to us

People have said the free clinics and/or the emergency room are not geared toward treatment, more so diagnosis that may be part of the problem

I'm convinced there are root causes other than black people are generally "inferior"

i don't either ricky.  but what i also have found is it takes multiple types to fight the fight.  let them carry on...
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:29pm

ok...i hope you picked a plan with a low out of pocket max....that is the key.  yes, the premium is a lil higher but when you do the math it ends up being cheaper (premium + deductible + copay + coinsurance) year over year...at least then there would be no surprises.

and i just can't understand why your pre-existing condition care wouldn't be covered now. wtf???????????????

Oh yeah, I have a high premium. No deductible, tiny copays, 10% coinsurance, low out of pocket max.

It's not that my lupus isn't covered. Now I need chemo for my kidneys (due to the lupus) and trying to find an in-network center is like damn near impossible because the network is small. The alternative is to go to one that's out of network but I'd have pay 100% up front and then only get reimbursed 50% and that is wayyyyyy too much money considering this will be going on for the next year. This is how people go bankrupt.

So yeah, the ACA helped definitely...but it is not a panacea. It still has a lot of limits.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I dont think that anyone in this thread feels that blacks are inferior. I can only speak for myself when I say that a lot of people are impacted by systematic oppression and targeted socialization which can in turn impact their life choices.

Whether is the a sweeping statement like 'black folks have bad credit'/'black people have kids out of wedlock'/black people are obese/black people eat bad greasy, sugary food/black folks hate going to the doctor - all of these sweeping statements are very broad and for many people are untrue, but for the people that they apply to, they have roots in systematic oppression and are not easy to solve or resolve without ending the root of the problems.

Nothing to do with generally being 'inferior'. The Civil Rights Act in USA was signed only 9 years before I was born. JIM CROW LAWS ended 9 years b4 I was born. Before that, it was tough for a black person to even leave their home town safely after dark, so of course there were health care obstacles, financial obstacles, poor access to food, water, jobs, etc. This is a world where eugenics was legal in recent time - you could legally be sterilized a few decades ago, just because you are black and a white person in power decided that you shouldnt reproduce. Of course people are afraid to go to the doctor. We have a lot of unique issues in America. 

So yes there is a lot that needs to be done to help people in need and the first thing is to acknowledge that there are a disproportionate # of black people in need due to factors that are unique to black people so it is dire for them to be acknowledged so that they can receive equitable care and access.

Edited by NJHairLuv - Jun 27 2014 at 7:39pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:37pm

Oh yeah, I have a high premium. No deductible, tiny copays, 10% coinsurance, low out of pocket max.

It's not that my lupus isn't covered. Now I need chemo for my kidneys (due to the lupus) and trying to find an in-network center is like damn near impossible because the network is small. The alternative is to go to one that's out of network but I'd have pay 100% up front and then only get reimbursed 50% and that is wayyyyyy too much money considering this will be going on for the next year. This is how people go bankrupt.

So yeah, the ACA helped definitely...but it is not a panacea. It still has a lot of limits.

ahhhhh ok i get it now.  this is probably why the ded/copay/outofpocket max is so low (honestly i was shocked by the no deductible AND tiny copay WITH a low out of pocket max...10% coinsurance is even lower than norm).  there is typically a direct correlation between this and network coverage.  i know here in IL there were a zillion different plans to choose from and if you don't know what you are looking at it can bite you in the azz later.  i'm so sorry this is happening to you.Hug  how far is the nearest in network facility?

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 27 2014 at 7:47pm
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:38pm
 HugHeartHugmaysay HugHeartHug
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style