Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

yes specifically quality of care

Why do people flood the emergency rooms if there is top quality care in the free clinics?

lol...people who have insurance flood the emergency room unnecessarily.  this is a fact.  and this is why the copay (people with insurance) for emergency room visits has consistently crepped up.  this is why urgent care facilities have become so common.   industry studies show most people are really care adverse.  people wait until the last minute possible to seek treatment.  also, clinics have set operating hours and are generally not meant for serious medical issues. 

Yeppers to all of this! And people don't go to emergency rooms for hiv/tests, they're not apples and apples.
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

it kinda makes me a little paranoid and i kinda agree with femme. i assume every man is infected tbh.

i often wonder if people who feel this way ever let their guards down...like with their spouse...like when they want to have a baby...

that's why I said what I said in reaction to that. that ain't no way to live but i ain't very jaded so idk
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:44pm
they do reproductive health...yearly exams...screenings...ect ect...
however, our county hospital (basically free for those in need) is actually pretty good...
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:45pm

Why do people flood the emergency rooms if there is top quality care in the free clinics?

Simply because they feel like it and their medicaidinsurance covers it at 100%. The people in the emergency room all the time for the common cold, etc are completely aware of their resources and have Medicaid and dont feel like going to the regular doctor office or going to a free clinic. If you do not have at least medicaid, you cant just show up at the emergency room for the common cold as there is a huge sign in the emergency room that explains that they are only required to give uninsured people life sustaining treatment.

One of my best friends worked for years in the emergency room of the hospital and her job was to try to steer people that indiscriminately use emergency rooms as routine care to a division of the hospital that could better serve them:

A few hours of the day, she worked in the emergency room asking people if they were interested in HIV testing. A lot of the people would say, yes, that is why I am here. She would make an appt for them on the spot and that afternoon, she would give them pre-testing counseling, draw blood and do the test, then she would do after testing counseling and referrals for the people that tested HIV-Positive and would steer them to the correct division of the hospital to get a health maintenance treatment & regimen, regular medical care & rx drugs for the HIV.

We would have very detailed discussions where she would inform me that a lot of the people that show up to the emergency room for everything do it because they understand the law and understand that can and not because the emergency room is their only option. BUT, the emergency room is only required by law to give medically necessary, life sustaining care so there is no benefit for a truely uninsured person to go to the emergency room for a common cold, etc. Only people with some form of insurance, including medicaid get non-essential, non-emergency care at the emergency room.

rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:47pm

however, our county hospital (basically free for those in need) is actually pretty good...

Interesting.  In DC if you go to the emergency room chances are you're going to be there overnight sitting in those hard ass chairs.  Shout out to howard university hospital.  I couldn't imagine choosing to go sit for 12 hours when you can pop down to planned parenthood and be in and out in an hour.

edit: oh and if you don't have insurance, unless you're having a medical emergency, it's a non-starter.

Edited by rohan - Jun 27 2014 at 5:49pm
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:51pm
I'm asking questions to understand the perceptions about the care and outcomes of care available in the inner cities

And whether those perceptions or even realities about care/outcomes and the costs/choices after diagnosis might affect how, why, when, if people make use of the care

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:53pm

i mentioned earlier that I wondered if the HIV treatment options in the inner cities are the same as the treatment options in paid care

Treatment would have an impact on transmission

The study isn't referring to undiagnosed HIV is it?   The women are getting tested but it is somehow still getting transmitted at a high rate

So the clueless, careless, test phobic argument still doesn't make sense to me

I don't think treatment options are the issue since there's a an accepted treatment protocol. From what I've read, even if you don't have insurance, the options generally are not prohibitively expensive.

I do think part of the issue is that HIV is kind of a "high maintenance" disease. Meaning, to maintain low viral loads and stay out of AIDS you have to take several daily meds, usually at different times throughout the day.

As a patient, that can be really difficult. Especially if you're juggling lots of other responsibilities/survival issues. And if you generally feel fine, you have less of a push to keep taking a bunch of meds.
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:54pm
I feel like we're using very broad strokes when the reality of the situation makes it seem like there are a lot of different variables coming into play.   
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:54pm

i mentioned earlier that I wondered if the HIV treatment options in the inner cities are the same as the treatment options in paid care

Treatment would have an impact on transmission

The study isn't referring to undiagnosed HIV is it?   The women are getting tested but it is somehow still getting transmitted at a high rate

So the clueless, careless, test phobic argument still doesn't make sense to me

I know for a fact that a lot of people have HIV, are aware, are in denial and are not informing their partners and are not routinely having safe sex. If you are familiar with the the patterns of behavior in the HIV positive gay male community, very similar patterns apply with women. People male and female of any ethnic background contract it, do not necessarily discuss it with a soul and let it run its course and die from it many many times. As mentioned in the last few pages, the stigma with HIV traumatizes people, their families, etc and cause many people to choose silence and a 'dignified' death, even if that means not telling their families and partners that they are HIV positive.

I can name 2 people that I know personally who died from full blown AIDS that held their secret til the very end and revealed it on their death bed (men), I know a woman right now that is telling people that she has bone cancer when she actually contracted HIV from her ex-bf and I know a woman that is married with HIV that contracted it it from her 1st husband who died from it. Her current husband has no clue. This is a crisis.  It does not make sense, but it is happening.
rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:56pm

Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

Interesting.  In DC if you go to the emergency room chances are you're going to be there overnight sitting in those hard ass chairs.  Shout out to howard university hospital.  I couldn't imagine choosing to go sit for 12 hours when you can pop down to planned parenthood and be in and out in an hour.

edit: oh and if you don't have insurance, unless you're having a medical emergency, it's a non-starter.

depending on the state, this could also be because the hospital cannot charge for an emergency visit if you are released before a certain time.  of course, there is also the legitimate triage process...but i would say often times the patient is waiting to be seen to ensure that the required time has elapsed so they can get paid...

Oh wow, didn't know this was a thing!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>