Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:00pm
would you go to a free clinic NJ? 

If so, do you use the free clinic vs a doctor affiliated with your health insurance company?

If not, why not?

Sponsored Links

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I'm just not comfortable reducing this issue to black women being careless, promiscuous and filthy

I'm just not comfortable reducing this issue to black women being careless, promiscuous and filthy

Not always a easy answer.

A lot of people are socialized to behave in certain ways and it becomes the norm. Its not a matter of what is right, it is a matter of reality. We all have a different normal and for some, their normal leaved them at risk for preventable illnesses.

We have had countless threads where parents hand the 16 year old boy a box of condoms and say, 'dont get anyone pregnant' and that is the beginning and the end of the birds and the bees speech. Where if an unmarried man is 30+ with no children, people begin to question is something is wrong with him or if he is secretly gay instead of understanding that he is likely regularly practicing safe sex.

Where many women say that when they began menstruating, they were told, 'you are now a woman, so stay away from boys and dont get pregnant' and that was their birds & bees speech. Unmarried women that do not have a child by a certain age are viewed as being barren instead of people understanding that she is likely regularly practicing safe sex.

People get angered when people ask them if they are afraid of HIV when they have multiple children with multiple women and you may be endangering yourself if you dare comment about a woman having multiple children by multiple men.

Condoms are not being used consistently and many people are not being socialized to use condoms regularly and that is the easiest way to explain the spread of this preventable virus.

Edited by NJHairLuv - Jun 27 2014 at 5:03pm
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:02pm
free clinics have been around for ages...i remember my old azz uncles talking about going to the clinic back in the day when they thought they had vd...Dead
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:08pm

If so, do you use the free clinic vs a doctor affiliated with your health insurance company?

If not, why not?

if i didn't have insurance i would.  but i think people do associate them (often unfairly) with lesser quality of care...
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:10pm

If not, why not?

Yes, I would go to a free clinic. I have actually been before when I had a lapse in my insurance coverage. I also went before when I was in college even though I was insured.

There is no current reason for me to go to a free clinic while covered by health insurance. 

I am aware that some people that are covered by health insurance go to free clinics when they want to be tested for something that they do not want their spouse/live in partner to know of (If they go to their regular doctor under their insurance, an EOB - Explanation of Benefits, will be mailed to their house and their spouse may get the mail first and find out that they have had a pregnancy test/HIV or STD test.  That is actually extremely common at free clinics.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:13pm
im not opposed to free 

That's what I'm accustomed to having grown up in Canada

But I've heard insured people complain about the quality of their care being drastically reduced by having universal healthcare so I wondered if there was a stigma or a marked difference in diagnosis, care, treatment options, etc
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I am aware that some people that are covered by health insurance go to free clinics when they want to be tested for something that they do not want their spouse/live in partner to know of (If they go to their regular doctor under their insurance, an EOB - Explanation of Benefits, will be mailed to their house and their spouse may get the mail first and find out that they have had a pregnancy test/HIV or STD test.  That is actually extremely common at free clinics.

yep...
rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:15pm
Been to free clinics myself when I wasn't insured. For years.  Shoot I still go to planned parenthood now because I donate when I'm there and I really like the people at the one near me.

Edited by rohan - Jun 27 2014 at 5:16pm
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:16pm
blind trust. "he's a good man", "she's not like that" yeah maybe, whatever, but what kind of people were your partner's previous partners? were they promiscuous, careless, too trusting of their previous partners? 

it kinda makes me a little paranoid and i kinda agree with femme. i assume every man is infected tbh.

Edited by noneyons - Jun 27 2014 at 5:18pm
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

yep...

TC, we in the industry also know that some people go to free clinics when they do not want certain tests and diagnoses to go onto their 'MIB Report" (their permanent record) because they do not want to be rejected for life insurance, (or health insurance back when there was still a pre-existing condition clause) etc LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 25>
  Share Topic