Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:10am
The CDC has weighed in as well.  

African Americans face a number of challenges that contribute to the higher rates of HIV infection. The greater number of people living with HIV (prevalence) in African American communities and the fact that African Americans tend to have sex with partners of the same race/ethnicity means that they face a greater risk of HIV infection with each new sexual encounter.

African American communities continue to experience higher rates of other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) compared with other racial/ethnic communities in the United States. Having an STI can significantly increase the chance of getting or transmitting HIV.

Lack of awareness of HIV status can affect HIV rates in communities. Almost 85,000 HIV-infected people in the African American community in 2010 were unaware of their HIV status. Diagnosis late in the course of HIV infection is common, which results in missed opportunities to get early medical care and prevent transmission to others.

The poverty rate is higher among African Americans than other racial/ethnic groups. Thesocioeconomic issues associated with poverty—including limited access to high-quality health care, housing, and HIV prevention education—directly and indirectly increase the risk for HIV infection, and affect the health of people living with and at risk for HIV. These factors may explain why African Americans have worse outcomes on the HIV continuum of care, including lower rates of linkage to care, retention in care, being prescribed HIV treatment, and viral suppression. New data from 2010 indicate that 75% of HIV-infected African Americans aged 13 or older are linked to care, 48% are retained in care, 46% are prescribed antiretroviral therapy, and only 35% are virally suppressed.

Stigma, fear, discrimination, homophobia, and negative perceptions about HIV testing can also place too many African Americans at higher risk. Many at risk for HIV fear discrimination and rejection more than infection and may choose not to seek testing.

Edited by JasmineE02 - Jun 27 2014 at 11:11am
Sponsored Links

rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:39am
Thanks Jasmine! Damn, that's pretty much everything right there!
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I don't believe the higher HIV rates are due to black women being less responsible, less aware or less educated

There's likely a systemic reason for this

I don't either. We are not stupid people and it comes off very condescending to keep hearing how less educated and unaware we are. We know all of these things. So whatever the reason is, that's not the main one.
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:43am
As BHM historian and a neutral party, the cass-cass started when NG said the people on BHM are poor because they sit around waiting for interesting thing to happen online. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the members are poor, perhaps we're all rich and have the leisure time to sit around on BHM. Any many shades of grey in between.

I wrote about HIV in the Caribbean last night but i erased it, didnt want to take the spotlight off DC/the AA comm. I'll say that it mirrors the AA community and is compounded by the acceptance/normalization of cheating/full knowledge of it, men using their partners neg. test as an indication of their own status and that grown folks don't know basic biology and how their anatomy works plus societal attitudes that encourage bearing children and a mistrust for contraceptives including condoms. I'll add women who "cant" ask for condoms to be used by their partners- the fear factor esp when he's the provider.

ETA It really grinds my gears when members say we can't have civil discussion on serious topics. We can, just come correct.

Edited by Diane (35) - Jun 27 2014 at 11:48am
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:21pm
nice discussion and good points.

thanks Diane for thinking of me when you saw this. I feel honored. Heart
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I knew someone who is very dear to me that died from aids about 10 years ago.She contracted it from her husband. He dies soon after they found out. She said that she didn't understand what HIVwas at the time. She just kept telling people she had cancer and her kids still stick to that story until this day. I asked them why they wont just say it was aids and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Its still shameful for people to admit to having aids.

Cry
this reminds me of my dear friend who died about 2 years after undergrad. His family told everyone it was cancer. I wanted to ask them how they knew what he had since they refused to visit himCry but out of respect for him I let them lie.

Edited by PurplePhase - Jun 27 2014 at 12:35pm
pebbles251 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote pebbles251 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:31pm
People are aware. some do not care. Take for instance I went on vacation to the Caribbean last week and had 3 men beg me for sex. One even offered to swim with me and told me how he would sex me in the water. I quickly told him I am not a tourist and indeed a native of the island who is quite aware of the HIV Rate on that island. He said he did not care about HIV. smh

Too bad some poor tourist will fall for his sweet talk and catch his disease.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:35pm
I've not seen this thread in hours but I only made the comments about poor people because Sang, said there WERE NO POOR PEOPLE on BHM! that was a joke. I also don't understand why people are so pissed off about this... there are poor people everywhere.
I think its important that we discuss the issue of HIV and the way its impacting our communities.
pebbles251 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pebbles251 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I knew someone who is very dear to me that died from aids about 10 years ago.She contracted it from her husband. He dies soon after they found out. She said that she didn't understand what HIVwas at the time. She just kept telling people she had cancer and her kids still stick to that story until this day. I asked them why they wont just say it was aids and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Its still shameful for people to admit to having aids.

Cry
this reminds me of my dear friend who died about 2 years after undergrad. His family still  everyone it was cancer. I wanted to ask them how they knew what he had since they refused to visit himCry but out of respect for him I let them lie.

I understand too well.  But its because people look down on you when you tell them your family died from HIV. Many people who family says died from cancer or pheneumonia died from complications developed because of HIV.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

And I literally think every woman should have the mindset that every male they meet is HIV positive. It could save so many lives. Just get tested. The rapid test at many of these clinics takes 5-10 minutes! What's 5-10 minutes versus having to pay hundreds-thousands for treatment for the rest of your life? What's 5-10 minutes to saving your life? If someone objects then consider yourself lucky because he/she may have something to hide. 

eta: I'm not responding to the personal crap y'all have going on. HIV IS KILLING OUR COMMUNITY. I repeat, HIV IS KILLING BLACK MEN AND WOMEN.

We are the group LEAST likely to be able to afford treatment yet we have the fastest growing rates in the country.

There are people on this very board who do not know their status. There are anonymous women and men who browse these boards every day who need to see threads like this as a catalyst to get tested. Take your issues to the Random Thoughts thread or something. 

I don't think that's a positive way to approach life or a relationship with that kind of distrust.  Rather women need to think positively and proactively.  Think "I need to protect myself and I am the best person to do that. I care about myself and my health and my future."  That way you're not living life under a cloud negativity bc that won't help relationships either & the onus isn't on someone else giving you something but on you protecting yourself. It's a subtle difference.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
  Share Topic