Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Research shows that even in the poorest communities people know what condoms, unprotected sex, and HIV are due to television and public information campaigns.

I just don't understand what's missing that causes people to have unprotected sex. 

Yeah people know they should use condoms and know what HIV is.  People just don't care.  

My take: People care more when their lives have meaning and they feel that they are able to effectively control what happens to them.  For a lot of people they don't feel that control.  Nothing in their lives really works out.  The tags on their cars (if they have one) are always expired, their lights are off...safe sex is just another part of their lives that doesn't work, as crazy as that sounds.  And drugs and alcohol are always there too.  I mean I know some of these folks back home, grew up with them, and there isn't a single thing in their lives that actually work well.  And with that hopeless feeling, people just don't care.  This is my guess on the "why": Hopelessness.

*kinda like what epitome said.
Sponsored Links

petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:53pm
I knew someone who is very dear to me that died from aids about 10 years ago.She contracted it from her husband. He dies soon after they found out. She said that she didn't understand what HIVwas at the time. She just kept telling people she had cancer and her kids still stick to that story until this day. I asked them why they wont just say it was aids and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Its still shameful for people to admit to having aids.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:56pm
yeah it's definitely still shameful

like disease like that .
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:57pm
I somewhat agree with Rohan but I think that its more of a mentality that some people have regardless of their wealth or lack of wealth. I see people like lil wayne spreading his seed all over america and i'm just like isn't he or these women scared of getting a disease. I think some people just like living carefree.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:57pm
Epitome and Rohan I think you're both right. And it's certainly born out in research. We've already seen that people's cognitive abilities around decision making are affected by poverty. Then you add how living in scarcity and always being in survival mode adds to that.

Ugh, now I feel even more hopeless. Because there isn't a fix for those things.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:02pm
Yeah I didn't want to say "they ain't go sh*t to lose" so what is AIDS really--but that's kinda what I meant. Your whole life is like a virus if you want to be really metaphorical and ish.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:02pm
wait middle class black women are getting this too... at an alarming rate not watching this doc. does this talk about this?
rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Epitome and Rohan I think you're both right. And it's certainly born out in research. We've already seen that people's cognitive abilities around decision making are affected by poverty. Then you add how living in scarcity and always being in survival mode adds to that.

Ugh, now I feel even more hopeless. Because there isn't a fix for those things.

Yup, agreed totally, and the bold is clutch!  

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:05pm
we are talking like They... and this is part of the problem everyone thinks that they are not at risk!
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:07pm
that lady said fear is a reason that so many Af-american women are contracting it. I remember that 'down low book guy' said that too. He said that women are so happy to have a man in their bed they are afraid to bring up, let alone insist on condoms. I didn't believe him.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic