Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I mean people don't share their status. He is public with it after years of dealing with it privately and is now an advocate. I am sure there are more.  You know you kinda think of college as a gothic wonderland---or i mean that was its nickname...at that age it's not that I didn't know about AIDS or get tested.....I was just naive about it.  It seemed very "other."

oh I get it. Yeah nobody was sharing their status back in the 80s either, only with close friends. Most family members wouldn't even visit at the hospital after hiv was mentioned.

Edited by PurplePhase - Jun 26 2014 at 9:43pm
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Research shows that even in the poorest communities people know what condoms, unprotected sex, and HIV are due to television and public information campaigns.

I just don't understand what's missing that causes people to have unprotected sex. IV drug use and dirty needles I understand, because you're not in your right mind.

its not just these people getting HIV...

My focus is on black women (and black people in general).

It just seems to me there's a disconnect between sex education (even the minimal amt) and actually making sexually healthy decisions.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:48pm
oh no. Her church rejected her. I'm not surprised but that's sad.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:48pm
I agree we need to come up with some ideas
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:50pm
maybe the poor don't make good sexual health decisions bc they think it can't get any worse.....like if you have a kid you can always get welfare and government aid...you're surrounded by worst case scenarios all the time

rich people think bad things can't happen to them so they're reckless

maybe the middle class are the most self-aware and safest
....im making sh*t up obvi 

rohan View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Research shows that even in the poorest communities people know what condoms, unprotected sex, and HIV are due to television and public information campaigns.

I just don't understand what's missing that causes people to have unprotected sex. 

Yeah people know they should use condoms and know what HIV is.  People just don't care.  

My take: People care more when their lives have meaning and they feel that they are able to effectively control what happens to them.  For a lot of people they don't feel that control.  Nothing in their lives really works out.  The tags on their cars (if they have one) are always expired, their lights are off...safe sex is just another part of their lives that doesn't work, as crazy as that sounds.  And drugs and alcohol are always there too.  I mean I know some of these folks back home, grew up with them, and there isn't a single thing in their lives that actually work well.  And with that hopeless feeling, people just don't care.  This is my guess on the "why": Hopelessness.

*kinda like what epitome said.
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:53pm
I knew someone who is very dear to me that died from aids about 10 years ago.She contracted it from her husband. He dies soon after they found out. She said that she didn't understand what HIVwas at the time. She just kept telling people she had cancer and her kids still stick to that story until this day. I asked them why they wont just say it was aids and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Its still shameful for people to admit to having aids.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:56pm
yeah it's definitely still shameful

like disease like that .
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:57pm
I somewhat agree with Rohan but I think that its more of a mentality that some people have regardless of their wealth or lack of wealth. I see people like lil wayne spreading his seed all over america and i'm just like isn't he or these women scared of getting a disease. I think some people just like living carefree.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:57pm
Epitome and Rohan I think you're both right. And it's certainly born out in research. We've already seen that people's cognitive abilities around decision making are affected by poverty. Then you add how living in scarcity and always being in survival mode adds to that.

Ugh, now I feel even more hopeless. Because there isn't a fix for those things.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style