Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...
    Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 7:51pm
watching?
tonight 10pm est

Lisa Ling Investigates The Rising Rate Of HIV In Washington, D.C.'s Poorest Wards (VIDEO)

#news_entries #ad_sharebox_260x60 img { padding: 0px; margin: 0px; }

Daphnie is a 56-year-old woman in Washington, D.C. who has been living with HIV for nearly two decades. In the district's poorest wards, HIV infection rates are soaring among straight, black women.

In an effort to understand why, Lisa Ling talks with Daphnie and her mother about the disease, which disproportionately affects black Americans. In the above "Our America with Lisa Ling" video, she asks the women why they think HIV is so pervasive in their community.

Daphnie, who now works as a case manager at an organization that provides resources to women with HIV and AIDS, and says healthcare is an issue. "You don't have a lot of blacks who go regular to get checkup," she says. "That doesn't happen."

Another woman who works in a D.C. public health clinic tells Ling that when her clinic offered free testing, the stigma surrounding HIV stopped many people from getting tested. "They didn't want other people to know they were being tested for it," she says.

Daphnie's mother believes the stigma centers around a lack of education. "I myself was uneducated and I did not become educated until my daughter got sick, which I’m ashamed to say," she says.

"Our America with Lisa Ling" explores the silent spread of HIV on Thursday, June 26 at 10 p.m. ET on OWN.

Sponsored Links

Nisha View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:18pm
I will be watching.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:21pm
man this is crazy. according to the stats I wonder how many members here have HIV? I am not making a joke. I just think its crazy. I get tested at least once per year! Thank GOD I am free of this- but at least people feel like they can come clean- instead of living in shame and silence.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

man this is crazy. according to the stats I wonder how many members here have HIV? I am not making a joke. I just think its crazy. I get tested at least once per year! Thank GOD I am free of this- but at least people feel like they can come clean- instead of living in shame and silence.

Ain't no poor people on BHM.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:31pm
I might watch this. Maybe it will help me understand why in this day people are still contracting an easily avoidable disease.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Ain't no poor people on BHM.
I think most are poor,that's why they spend so much time on this forum waiting for a something amazing to happen???
but all jokes aside this is still killing Black women at an alarming rate!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:39pm
I think part of it is due to having Sex with strangers/and infected partners and please don't say condoms because they are not 100 percent effective
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

aren't you on here waiting to find a man?

how poor are you?
awwww shyt lets………………………..
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

aren't you on here waiting to find a man?

how poor are you?
loving husband, do you think I am waiting on a women's forum to find a man you are mistaken that don't even make any logic? there is no shame in being poor as long as one is working on it?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:55pm
People on here stay trying to hit me with low blows about my relationship status when they know they in the same boat or worst! I got plenty don't worry about me worry about your own status!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic