BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oprah on Paula Deen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 5:14am
Saying that everybody should stop using a word is just stupid.
We can't prohibit anybody from using a word.
But I can kick you in ya nuts for callin' me something I don't like. 
Sponsored Links

bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 5:26am

'It just felt kind of sad': Oprah Winfrey opens up about Paula Deen's use of the N-word... as she reveals her own recent brush with racism

By LIZZIE SMITH

PUBLISHED: 11:02 EST, 6 August 2013 UPDATED: 12:31 EST, 6 August 2013

•  
  •  
  •  
39 shares

View 
comments

After bonding with Paula Deen during an interview last year, Oprah Winfrey spent a night under the now disgraced star's roof as her guest.

Now Oprah has spoken for the first time about Deen's spectacular fall from grace, after the celebrity chef admitted previously using the 'N-word' amid accusations of racism.

The Butler star simply said that she felt the whole thing was 'kind of sad', in an interview in which she also revealed her own recent experience of racism.

Scroll down for video

Not in touch: Oprah Winfrey poses with Paula Deen during an interview for Oprahs Next Chapter last year; the chatshow host has now commented on the TV chefs racism scandal

Not in touch: Oprah Winfrey poses with Paula Deen during an interview for Oprah's Next Chapter last year; the chatshow host has now commented on the TV chef's racism scandal

Talking to Entertainment Tonight Oprah explained: 'In the very first days I tried to reach her and then I decided to stay out of it as I saw it blowing up.

'In time she will be fine. For me, it all just felt kind of sad.'

And Oprah added that she hoped when the scandal had died down there would be space for a 'real conversation' about racism in today's world.

Last year Oprah interviewed Deen for her Oprah's Next Chapter show, getting under her skin during a visit to her home in Georgia.

Deen is currently being sued by a former employee who claims she and her brother would repeatedly use offensive racial words in the workplace.

Speaking out: Oprah Winfrey, seen at the premiere of The Butler in New York on Monday night, has spoken out about disgraced chef Paula Deen for the first time

Speaking out: Oprah, seen at the premiere of The Butler in New York on Monday night, has called the scandal 'sad'

Court documents revealed the 66-year-old had told an attorney questioning her under oath that she has used the N-word.

'Yes, of course,' Deen said, though she added, 'It's been a very long time.'

A grovelling video apology from Deen did little to stem the backlash, which saw her TV contract cancelled and endorsement deals pulled.

Expanding on her comments Oprah later told Extra: 'She is not the first white lady to use the N-word. Good lord!'

Bonding: During her interview with Deen, Oprah even spent a night under her roof

Bonding: During her interview with Deen, Oprah even spent a night under her roof

And she insisted: 'Oh my god! I don't have anything to do with Paula Deen.'

Oprah also revealed that she herself had recently experienced racism, despite her worldwide fame.

While in Switzerland for her friend Tina Turner's wedding Oprah told ET how she walked into a designer store to choose herself a treat.

But the assistant did not recognise her and having assumed that she would not be able to afford a bag ignored the billionaire.

Speaking out: Oprah Winfrey addresses the Paula Deen racism controversy in an interview with Extra

Speaking out: Oprah Winfrey addresses the Paula Deen racism controversy in an interview with Extra

After waiting unsuccessfully for acknowledgement Oprah quietly left, after deciding she did not want to give the assistant her commission.

She told ET that while she no longer experienced overt racism such as name-calling, she experienced discrimination.

'It shows up for me if I'm in a boardroom or situations where I'm the only woman or I'm the only African American person within a hundred mile radius. 

'I can see in the energy of the people there, they don't sense that I should be holding one of those seats. I can sense that.

'But I can never tell, "Is it racism? Is it sexism?"'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2385515/Oprah-Winfrey-talks-Paula-Deens-use-N-word--reveals-recent-experience-racism.html#ixzz2bHHfCGe0 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 5:47am
Stern Smile
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 10:41am
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

Dead
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

interesting.

from article:

<<When asked if she has ever been called the N-word, Winfrey explained that, for her, sexism seems to be the bigger issue. "The sexism thing is huge," said Winfrey. "The higher the ladder you climb it gets huge, because men are used to running things.".>>

interesting...

i feel that for POC, it's so intertwined. esp. the higher up you go.

what is that called? intersectionality? i think. 

BHM is WAYYYYYY too linear to be tryna hear about that.

LOL
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 2:11pm
poor stedman

but O was just staying in character  lol.

Onscreen couple: The Golden Globe winner enjoyed working with co-star Oprah Winfrey, who plays his wife in the White House drama

Onscreen couple: Forest said he enjoyed working with co-star Oprah Winfrey, who plays his wife in the White House drama

'It was an amazing experience for me,' Forest recently told People magazine.

'[Oprah] was so committed to our relationship. In between the scenes, when we're trying to develop our rapport and continue to build our connection, she would be so generous.

It was an amazing experience for me: Whitaker called the talk show mogul a generous actor who worked hard to develop an authentic rapport and connection

'It was an amazing experience for me': Whitaker called the talk show mogul a 'generous' actor who worked hard to develop an authentic rapport and connection

'She would rub my back, or, you know, we'd walk hand in hand to the set and talk, and I think it led to the magic of us being able to really be connected in the film.'

During an appearance on CBS This Morning, host Gayle King said to her very famous friend, "I can't wait to see you and Forest as husband and wife. There's a kissing scene you were talking about the other day. Did you feel all tingly?", replied, "I felt pretty good about it, let me just say. Forest is a good kisser, how about that?"

Giving a shout out to the 51-year-old actor's wife of 16 years, Oprah added, "Thank you, Keisha Whitaker."

Edited by PurpleHaze - Aug 08 2013 at 2:21pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 2:11pm
oh is this the right thread? lol
I thought there was a thread on the movie..
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 2:14pm
dang oprah been eating good
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 2:15pm
I can't wait for this

Forest, a former opera singer will warm his pipes for a modern musical adaptation of Langston Hughes' play, Black Nativity.

The drama - coming out November 27 - also stars Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson, Tyrese Gibson, Angela Bassett, and Mary J. Blige.

Coming November 27! The former opera singer will warm his pipes for a modern musical adaptation of Langston Hughes play, Black Nativity, with Angela Bassett and Jennifer Hudson

Coming November 27! The former opera singer will warm his pipes for a modern musical adaptation of Langston Hughes' play, Black Nativity, with Angela Bassett and Jennifer Hudson

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic