Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Oprah on Paula Deen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

interesting.

from article:

<<When asked if she has ever been called the N-word, Winfrey explained that, for her, sexism seems to be the bigger issue. "The sexism thing is huge," said Winfrey. "The higher the ladder you climb it gets huge, because men are used to running things.".>>

I just saw an interview on ET where she was asked the same question. She explained what happened and concluded with "now, why would they do that"? She made it clear it was racism. She also said "the store shall remain unnamed"
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

she will likely be fired anyways 

or kick her own self in the gut for cutting style on a billionaire
I don't know, Ricky. Oprah didn't even mention the name of the store. For all we know, her superiors are not even aware of the situation.

It was Hermes in Paris years ago. It made the news. idk if she ever said the name---but what better place to hit someone than their pockets? no commission for  you. I do it all the time. I don't complain--make mental notes and just leave.

The Oprah vitriol on BHM is...unfounded and myopic.

OK. I remember the Hermes incident. I thought it was a different one.
Edit: actually, Purple is right. The Hermes incident was in Paris, no?
A recent event . Remember Tina was married a few weeks ago . We have a topic a few pages back . Oprah should call out the folks after the same thing happen several times .
That's what I thought. But then, Hermès was mentioned and it threw me off for a minute.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

she will likely be fired anyways 

or kick her own self in the gut for cutting style on a billionaire
I don't know, Ricky. Oprah didn't even mention the name of the store. For all we know, her superiors are not even aware of the situation.

It was Hermes in Paris years ago. It made the news. idk if she ever said the name---but what better place to hit someone than their pockets? no commission for  you. I do it all the time. I don't complain--make mental notes and just leave.

The Oprah vitriol on BHM is...unfounded and myopic.

Gurllll...
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

interesting.

from article:

<<When asked if she has ever been called the N-word, Winfrey explained that, for her, sexism seems to be the bigger issue. "The sexism thing is huge," said Winfrey. "The higher the ladder you climb it gets huge, because men are used to running things.".>>

interesting...

i feel that for POC, it's so intertwined. esp. the higher up you go.

what is that called? intersectionality? i think. 

BHM is WAYYYYYY too linear to be tryna hear about that.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 10:18pm
Interesting how I just read this comment...

abagond

Fareed Zakaria in “The Post-American World” (2008) wrote about the rise of the West, only barely mentioning slavery and making no direct reference to genocide. He speaks of parts of the world being “marked for use by Europe”. Wow. That is the white racial frame.

As we have seen with Obama, Oprah, Henry Louis Gates, Clarence Thomas, Juan Williams, even Melissa Harris-Perry and Al Sharpton on MSNBC and Ta-Nehisi Coates at The Atlantic, you do not get to a large, white-owned platform without walking a fine line, without being “safe”, if not an outright Uncle Tom. Cenk Uygur and Rev Wright, bless their souls, refused to walk that fine line even though they could have.

I was happy when Obama was elected president. I was happy when Melissa Harris-Perry got her own show on MSNBC. Both times I thought, “At last, someone like me is up there!” It was like I was president, like I had my own television show. It was great! And both times, guess what – the crushing disillusion of seeing them walk that fine line and not achieving much beyond tokenism.

Both are object lessons in how White Americans live in a carefully crafted echo chamber. It is part of how the white racial frame works.

Unique Monique View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Unique Monique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 10:40pm

oprah isn't going to fry her BEFORE the interview

come now

THIS
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 12:19am
MHP? Ta-Nehisi?...... tokens???
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

I see she checkin for herself first. How high up you wanna go Oprah damn? You own everything.

Oprah tryna put all the houses and hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place.  fucc 4 hotels and 3 houses...she needs moar...wants moar.

can't stop...wont' stop...

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 2:51am

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Everyone needs to stop using the N word. EVERYBODY.
I don't understand why Black  people want to 'take back' and 'own' words like this ... just so they can turn around ...and also use it against black people. Ermm

It would be different if Black people started using the N word against WHITE people but no ... it's against OTHER Black people? What for?

Backward.

I have to agree with you there. Even though it's not the same intent when black people use it, it's still disturbing. I actually hate the new spelling that's making the rounds on bhm, you know the one that ends with uh. Everytime I see it, it turns my stomach. There's something profoundly ugly and sick about that new incarnation. I don't know why we remain attached to that damn word, re-appropriation or not.

It's not the sanme intent but it IS the same word that is so deeply embedded our subconscious that is the problem.

The reason we remain attached to it is because we've internalized this hatred of Black people. So White people don't HAVE to put us down anymore (unless they want to)  because we have been so 'trained' to put ourselves down.

Yes, people use the N word for 'fun' too but our joint subconcious can't tell the difference - that's why the word is such a problem because you can't expect White people to understand why it is okay for US to use the N word - but they can't use the N word. This will never .. work. Never.

Everyones needs to stop using it people .. especially in the RAP CRAP music!!!!

On this forum (never heard it before) is the use of the word 'coon'.. which is anither terrible word that Whites used to use against us.Ouch So now whenever somebody wants to insult you .. they will use another 'White man's word' against a Black person. Backward.

Black people have got to take responsibly for their part in the DAMAGE they inflict on the community and stop pretending that White people are causing all these problems in the Black comminity. They STARTED the problems yes, no doubt ... but we have contributed greatly to keeping them alive.Confused
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 4:58am
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

ok Oprah like when RAE DAWN CHONG called you a 'field ni g g er"?   u never responded to those remarks but u responding to and about a white woman using the word???

well...don't we usually say something about a white person who uses it as opposed to a sorta black person who does?   And even more.....who is a Rae Don Chong tho?  Oprah ain't tryna help Rae's raggedy, aged career by responding.  #justsayin'.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic