FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedOprah on Paula Deen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oprah on Paula Deen
    Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:24pm

Oprah Winfrey on Paula Deen's N-word scandal: 'She was used as a symbol, but lots of people use the word inappropriately all the time'

The star of 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' says her door is open if Deen wants to revisit her show to talk about the racism controversy.

By Ethan Sacks / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

#static{height:38px;} #static td{vertical-align:top !important;} #static td td{vertical-align:middle !important;} #static .fb-like iframe{width:450px !important;} #static:after{content:".";display:block;height:0;clear:both;visibility:hidden;}

Print
Oprah Winfrey, pictured with  Paula Deen on ‘Oprahs Next Chapter’ last year, has finally opened up on her friend’s N-word controversy.

Oprah Winfrey, pictured with Paula Deen on ‘Oprah's Next Chapter’ last year, has finally opened up on her friend’s N-word controversy.

Up until now The Queen of talk has been surprisingly mum on the scandal enveloping her friend Paula Deen.

But Oprah Winfrey has broken her silence on the controversy over the disgraced television chef’s use of the N-word,.

"I think Paula Deen was sort of used as a symbol, but I think lots of people use the word inappropriately all the time," Oprah said during a revealing interview on Entertainment Tonight Monday.

Oprah Winfrey shines on the red carpet Monday night at the New York premiere of ‘Lee Daniels The Butler.’

Ben Gabbe/Getty Images

Oprah Winfrey shines on the red carpet Monday night at the New York premiere of ‘Lee Daniels' The Butler.’

The 59-year old television mogul says she’s very sensitive to racism — a major theme in her new movie, “Lee Daniels’ The Butler.”

“I do not run in the circle of people who use the word loosely,” she told ET. “For me it’s out of respect to those people who it was the last word they heard while they were being hung, the last weord they heard when they were being fired, the last word they heard when their house was being burned.

“It’s the word heard every day when they were walking down the street and they had to step off the side walk to let other people pass.”

Celebrity chef Paula Deen breaks into tears on NBC News ‘Today’ show on June 26, talking about the controversy that damaged her $17-million-a-year food empire.

Peter Kramer/AP

Celebrity chef Paula Deen breaks into tears on NBC News' ‘Today’ show on June 26, talking about the controversy that damaged her $17-million-a-year food empire.

Winfrey also recounted a recent racist experience she endured while visiting Switzerland for Tina Turner's wedding. A shop worker who didn't recognize Winfrey refused to allow her to see an expensive bag on display because she assumed it was beyond the customer's means. Oprah said she left without making a scene, rather than give the clerk a commission.

But Winfrey also seemed to tiptoe around condemnation for Deen’s use of the racial slur. The pair had reportedly bonded when the doyenne of deep fried food appeared on Oprah’s show in May 2012.

Deen’s public relations nightmare began in June when a deposition in a lawsuit filed by a former employee at her Savannah, Ga., restaurant went public. The 66-year-old celebrity chef had admitted to using the N-word in the deposition in the suit.

Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker in ‘Lee Daniel’s The Butler.’

ANNE MARIE FOX

Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker in ‘Lee Daniel’s The Butler.’

After an awkward video public apology, Deen was booted from her plum TV gigs on The Food Network and her endorsement deals have since collapsed faster than faulty soufles.

Winfrey said once Deen is emotionally ready to discuss the controversy, she’s welcome to return to OWN for on-camera sit-down.

"I just really want to know what happened," said Winfrey.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/oprah-winfrey-breaks-silence-paula-deen-controversy-article-1.1419098#ixzz2bE6YU1wJ
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:28pm
Ok Oprah and I can understand and respect her reasons for not using the word .Most older folk dont use it and plenty young blacks do not use the word but do not equate blacks usage of the n word with whites .
Two separate cases.

I hate when blacks rush to use this excuse on the behalf of whites

Edited by jonesable - Aug 06 2013 at 4:28pm
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:30pm
Shut up, Oprah.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:32pm
is this Stedman cut out of the pix?
oh no

Oprah Winfrey shines on the red carpet Monday night at the New York premiere of ‘Lee Daniels The Butler.’
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:32pm
She has so many opinions lately.
I don't dislike Oprah but she may need to just shut up and be rich.
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:36pm
the shade in this thread is 

TOO DAMN HIGH
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Shut up, Oprah.
this. 

i don't particularly care for her or anything the woman has to say. 

haven't for years. 
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:37pm
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:38pm
Omgggggg
Lmao
I screamed

Edited by jonesable - Aug 06 2013 at 4:38pm
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 4:42pm
Everyone needs to stop using the N word. EVERYBODY.
I don't understand why Black  people want to 'take back' and 'own' words like this ... just so they can turn around ...and also use it against black people. Ermm

It would be different if Black people started using the N word against WHITE people but no ... it's against OTHER Black people? What for?

Backward.

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic