Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Oprah May No Longer Be Richest Black Woman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
happy 4b View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy 4b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by happy 4b happy 4b wrote:

She was a seamstress for a former president's wife. They gave her the oil block without knowing its worth. It was gift i guess for loyalty. Anyway I don't know how this means she is not on the level of Oprah like someone said. She could have easily sold this oil block and kept it moving. Instead she turned it into a major family business, and has more than tripled its profits.
All I want to know is does she have any sons.

oo so they thought they were giving her like $1k?LOL

LOL, I don't know the exact story. But they definitely didn't think the revenue from the oil block would be reaching a billion. I doubt they would have given it away. Ain't nobody that generous.

I like her story though and she does a lot of charity work based on what I read.

Sponsored Links

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:22pm
I read that her oil bloc brings in $1M a day.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:28pm

ok I may love her more than Oprah. LOL

(CNN) -- From shaking up Nigeria's fashion scene to striking it rich in the oil business, Nigerian billionaire Folorunso Alakija has tasted success in all walks of life.

The former banking executive-turned-fashion designer-turned oil magnate is one of the west African country's most accomplished businesswoman, boasting a long and successful career in several fields.

In recent years, the 61-year-old has been dedicating her time to give back and help those in need as an author and philanthropist -- in 2008, she launched the Rose of Sharon foundation, a non-governmental organization that provides for widows and orphans across Nigeria.

"We found out that widows are a stigma in this society," says Alakija. "Once they lose their husbands, the society turns their backs on them, their in-laws begin to mistreat them, they become depressed, they don't know where to turn, they don't know where their next meal is coming from."

In some parts of Nigeria, many widowed women face untold hardships as a result of traditional customs -- in many cases, if a widow doesn't have any male adult children she can lose all her husband's property, while in-laws often do not provide her with economic support, especially if she does not accept becoming an additional wife to one of her husband's brothers.

Alakija, a mother of four sons, is working hard to change such conditions, using her financial background to provide interest-free loans and scholarships.

"We try our best to bring hope back into their lives," she says, noting that so far the organization has been able "to fend for 2,751 widows and 963 widows' children, 66 orphans and actually 11 widows at university through the foundation."

Alakija says her organization's next goal is to help set up schools across Nigeria, in areas where the women would be able to work the land while their children would attend classes within walking distance.

"Where they and their children can live and grow fruits and vegetables and sell them so that they will be able to build their confidence a bit more," she says.

Born into privilege in 1951 in Nigeria, Alakija grew up in a very large family -- her father had eight wives and 52 children in his lifetime. At the age of seven she moved to the UK with her sister to attend a private school before returning to Nigeria four years later.

She did her first professional steps in the 1970s as a bank secretary but quickly moved along the corporate ladder, becoming the first head of corporate affairs at IMB, Nigeria's International Merchant Bank.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Dec 04 2012 at 10:30pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:30pm
LOL @ the red
(on  your mark ladies, get set, go! )
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:35pm
she wasn't a seamstress. she's a highly educated woman who benefited from a hookup
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:38pm
I'm putting her autobio on my Santa Baby list
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:39pm
shes 61 so her sons are probably like 40ish.. 
ugh. 
whats good with the grandkids though? 
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

ugh. 

I'd take a man in his 40's, but my guess is that they are already married.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:42pm

ugh. 

LOL

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

ugh. 

I'd take a man in his 40's, but my guess is that they are already married.

details details lol

we're talking billions
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic