Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oprah & Iyanala Tackle Colorism (tonight 1/10)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:44am
It will forever be a issue cause we make it a issue, other races only see us as black. When you fill out paperwork there is no light /dark box. I have plenty of family members who have this problem. I died a slow painful death when my cousin said " I cant believe he broke up with me, im light skinned" I knew them heffas was good and crazy. Her mother sat there co-signing the mess.

So yeah that type of thinking begins at home.
Sponsored Links

Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 8:53am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

@tatee, well about 20% of black men in America are color struck. Let's call an ace an ace. I do agree that they have more options though.

More like 60%. Let's keep it real in these streets.
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

It will forever be a issue cause we make it a issue, other races only see us as black. When you fill out paperwork there is no light /dark box. I have plenty of family members who have this problem. I died a slow painful death when my cousin said " I cant believe he broke up with me, im light skinned" I knew them heffas was good and crazy. Her mother sat there co-signing the mess.

Where are you from? Is it an area or state in which light skinned people were a vast minority?
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

Where are you from? Is it an area or state in which light skinned people were a vast minority?

What was weird she really sat there naming off all her qualities and Light skinned was the first one out of her mouth , I guess since he was chocolate he should have been grateful to be granted access into her sacred twat. Her mom was glad anyway, she had already told my mom she didn't want no grandchildren from that union.

Them urrchins live in Michigan, but her mom was born in South Carolina. Sentences like so and so daughter got good hair is mentioned at family reunions. Ouch  They also throw around the "Indian in my family" too. I about need a xanax to even stomach it all, hence the reason why I have not attended in a while. 

Edited by Princess Grace - Jan 11 2014 at 12:48pm
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 12:48pm
this program didn't seem informative or productive

but I guess they tried
Lauren. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lauren. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 4:31pm
Honestly, I thought the reason why black men chose white women was superficial.
One reason is 'beauty.' Light skin and white skin with European or exotic facial features are considered beautiful. Men want a beautiful women they can love and show off.
Second is hair. I know sounds crazy but how many black women wear weave to feel beautiful. Hair is a big part of beauty. Men are just as crazy about hair as women are. Preferably 1a-3a type hair....

Edited by Lauren. - Jan 11 2014 at 4:34pm
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:53pm
My auntie's daughter is about to be 2 years old and light skinned. My auntie pretty much praised God on facebook all because her daughter is light skinned after someone commented at how fair the daughter is. Her husband is dark so I guess she was worried. Anyways, it reminded me of this thread. My family is very color struck. My mom is light and made me feel special though. I don't know what can be done.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:59pm

WOW same sh*t happened to me but it was a friend that I used to be close with. She is light and she was having a moment. She was dating a guy on and off who couldn't commit to her. But she said she couldn't understand why because his long time ex girlfriend was dark. I'm like what does that have to do it?

She then went on to say that she doesn't understand why he broke up with her since she is light and how two light skinned people should be together and blah blah. She lost her mind and she kept repeating "i'm light skinned I'm light skinned I don't understand why he doesn't want me".
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:02pm
Colorism is a serious issue, but people just shovel it under the rug like it doesn't matter. And this issue is not unique to the black community, which is why it is such a huge problem.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

WOW same sh*t happened to me but it was a friend that I used to be close with. She is light and she was having a moment. She was dating a guy on and off who couldn't commit to her. But she said she couldn't understand why because his long time ex girlfriend was dark. I'm like what does that have to do it?

She then went on to say that she doesn't understand why he broke up with her since she is light and how two light skinned people should be together and blah blah. She lost her mind and she kept repeating "i'm light skinned I'm light skinned I don't understand why he doesn't want me".

i think i would've slapped her silly smh
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair