Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Openly-Gay Mississippi Mayor Candidate Found Dead
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Openly-Gay Mississippi Mayor Candidate Found Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 11:09am
Wow, that's awful
Sponsored Links

Finesseful View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finesseful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Spokenword Spokenword wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

He was very young...and he was running for Mayor in a town with only 18,000 people

the current mayor is black and his son is running to succeed his father. I wonder they had something to do with it. 

this reminds me of that case in  Atlanta some years back, the new chief was gong to be sworn in (black) and the guy he was replacing (black) did not want him to take over so he hired police officers to kill him.

don't recall full story as i saw it on the id channel, but it was something like that. so i wonder if was set up to kill him so he wouldn't have a chance in running or it could be because of his sexual orientation, you know people are just so crazy these days.

Girl I remember this too. It was big news.

Derwin Brown & Sidney Dorsey are the men.

Edited by Finesseful - Mar 01 2013 at 11:13am
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 11:35am
I saw awful things as child during visits to MS as a child . I agree racist people are in all States , but certain areas of MS have never change since the 50's Regarding Racist murder of our people . I hope the NAACP Looks into the man murder .

Edited by india100 - Mar 01 2013 at 11:36am
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

He was very young...and he was running for Mayor in a town with only 18,000 people

the current mayor is black and his son is running to succeed his father. I wonder they had something to do with it. 

this reminds me of that case in  Atlanta some years back, the new chief was gong to be sworn in (black) and the guy he was replacing (black) did not want him to take over so he hired police officers to kill him.

don't recall full story as i saw it on the id channel, but it was something like that. so i wonder if was set up to kill him so he wouldn't have a chance in running or it could be because of his sexual orientation, you know people are just so crazy these days.

yes that was them!. I saw it on the ID Channel on this show called Fatal Encounters, and it was so crazy because it showed the night of his murder minute by minute.  how the cops planned it with the guy, how they waited for him to get home from his celebration and shot him in his driveway. 

smh...

Edited by Spokenword - Mar 01 2013 at 11:48am
aurora_sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora_sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 2:59pm

Wow! I'm gonna look it up right now. People can be so evil!
OrriannaRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Momeijheii Momeijheii wrote:

Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Sometimes I wonder why any blacks live their.  There HAS to be some good right?  The sad thing about this is the message has been sent loud and clear.  
Ermm  Of course there are good things in this state. Some of us--like myself--can't help the fact that we were born here. 
There is dumbassery everywhere, and the last time I checked MS didn't hold the patent on it.

There is plenty good here, the media chooses not to report on those stories as much. Smh you can't believe everything you see in the media.

Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

what did he expect from the south? opened arms?
smh @ this senseless murder

There are also plenty of openly gay men here.  Hopefully his murder was not motivated by his orientation, but I hate the way this is being reported.
juicygyrl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juicygyrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 6:36pm

Sometimes I wonder why any blacks live their.  There HAS to be some good right?  The sad thing about this is the message has been sent loud and clear.  
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 6:46pm

Man charged in slaying of Miss. mayoral candidate

By HOLBROOK MOHR | Associated Press – 22 hrs ago

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A 22-year-old man was charged with murder Thursday in the death of a mayoral candidate, whose body was found near a river levee in the Mississippi Delta this week.

The Coahoma County Sheriff's Department said in a news release that Lawrence Reed of Shelby was charged in the death of Marco McMillian, 34, a candidate for mayor of Clarksdale.

Campaign spokesman Jarod Keith says McMillian's bid was noteworthy because he may have been the first openly gay man to be a viable candidate for public office in Mississippi.

An investigation began Tuesday when McMillian's SUV slammed head on into another car on U.S. Highway 49 near the Coahoma and Tallahatchie county lines.

Reed was driving the car, but McMillian was not in it, according to sheriff's department spokesman Will Rooker.

McMillian's body was found the next day near the Mississippi River levee between Sherard and Rena Lara, Coahoma County Coroner Scotty Meredith has said.

Warren Strain, a spokesman with the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, said the autopsy was completed but toxicology and other test results are pending, and no cause of death will be released until the report is completed.

The sheriff's department has not released a possible motive for the crime.

Reed was taken to the Regional Medical Center in Memphis after the car wreck, and was listed in good condition on Thursday, a hospital official said.

Little is known about Reed or how he was acquainted with McMillian.

A recent address listed for Reed was at a Clarksdale apartment complex, but the manager said the unit was rented by another man who has since moved out. The manager said he did not know Reed.

Sissiretta Melton, 33, said she had known McMillian since they were in seventh grade in Clarksdale and described his death as "dramatic" for those who loved him and his community.

"It's just terrifying to everybody that knew him personally because you ask, 'Why?'" Melton said. "Why would it happen to someone like him?"

Melton said people knew early on that McMillian had a bright future and that he could have left Mississippi behind for good.

"He knew this town needed him," she said. "Kids here have nothing. We don't even have a decent movie theater. He wanted to bring those things here."

Keith has said McMillian had big plans for Clarksdale, a town of about 17,800 people best known as a hub of Blues music.

Although Keith said McMillian's sexual orientation was noteworthy in the conservative state, Melton took issue with the way McMillian has been characterized at times since his death, saying he was not one to flaunt his sexuality, but was comfortable with who he was.

"He was just a standup guy," she said.

Clarksdale is known as the home of the crossroads, where Robert Johnson is said to have sold his soul to the devil for skills with a guitar. Academy Award-winning actor and Mississippi native Morgan Freeman is part owner of the Ground Zero Blues Club in town.

But the town also struggles with the grinding poverty that is typical of the Mississippi Delta.

Those who knew McMillian said he had connections across the country, and hoped to put those to use for Clarksdale.

McMillian had forged ties while serving for four years as international executive director of the historically black Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. Photos on McMillian's website and Facebook page show him with a younger Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton and with U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat.

McMillian was CEO of MWM & Associates, described on its website as a consulting firm for nonprofit organizations. In addition to his role at the fraternity from 2007 to 2011, McMillian had previously worked at Alabama A&M University and at Jackson State University.

___

http://news.yahoo.com/man-charged-slaying-miss-mayoral-candidate-214428124.html?

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by Momeijheii Momeijheii wrote:

Ermm  Of course there are good things in this state. Some of us--like myself--can't help the fact that we were born here. 
There is dumbassery everywhere, and the last time I checked MS didn't hold the patent on it.

Exactly. Would it have been better if he was found dead up north?

Harvey Milk happened in San Francisco so yeah it can go down anywhere.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic