FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Only 33 Black Students at UCLA School of Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only 33 Black Students at UCLA School of Law
    Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 9:41am

There Are Only 33 Black Students at UCLA School of Law

This video documents their journey.

Posted:

There are 1,100 students currently enrolled in UCLA's School of Law. Only 33 of those students are black, representing a dismal 3 percent of the student body.

To express their feelings of isolation and the frustrations that come with the burden of "representing the race," UCLA's black law students created a video called "33," Buzzfeed reports. The intent of the montage is to "raise awareness of the disturbing emotional toll placed upon students of color due to their alarmingly low representation within the student body."

"I think the fact that I was a black woman really played a lot into why people stopped listening to me," one student said.

"No one can help me," another student said, reflecting on her classroom experiences. "No one can jump in. No one can at least acknowledge that anything I'm saying has any truth."

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2014/02/_33_black_students_at_ucla_school_of_law.html
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 9:46am
Yes I've been hearing that black women at top tier law schools has been an issue.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 9:50am
I keep telling Amurica that if we are giving the opportunity without discrimination, that our counter parts would be the minority instead of us.... but nobody is listening.
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 9:56am
I can totally relate to each an every one of their stories.
During LS I personally chose NOT to be the lone voice for all black people during discussions in class. I figured if my cohorts hadn't grasped the ability to understand other cultural viewpoints by grad school, they would likely never grasp it and it wasn't my job nor my duty to teach them something they didn't have the capacity to learn.
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 10:05am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

I can totally relate to each an every one of their stories.
During LS I personally chose NOT to be the lone voice for all black people during discussions in class. I figured if my cohorts hadn't grasped the ability to understand other cultural viewpoints by grad school, they would likely never grasp it and it wasn't my job nor my duty to teach them something they didn't have the capacity to learn.

smart man
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 12:42pm
I like what that guy said about being one of 3 blacks on his section and hearing that "It was impressive" and then he says "But I was not impressed".
When they said that there was a lot of pressure on them to succeed, they are forgetting that EVERYONE is on pressure to do well. You HAVE to do well to achieve something. You did well in HS to get on UCLA, now you need to do 1000% better to finish UCLA really well, not just finish and get a diploma.

I think it sucks that they felt lonely, like an outsider, etc, but in my mind it is like: so you just socialize with black people? Sorry, in that case you should have tried Howard Law School.

When the guy says it was hard to represent his community in criminology class, I can imagine how much it sucked for him because, sadly, a lot of blacks from poor communities commit crimes or worse, are accused of crimes they did not commit, and he probably felt that how could he show those people that not every black is like that when so many are committing crimes? I think that first we don't have to prove sh!t to anyone; I am black, I didn't commit crimes, but I was sure followed around in many stores I have been. In his place, I would have not defended those people saying that they are poor or lacked proper parenting, but instead that some do, just like some whites killed 6 million Jews during Holocaust. That would shut up anyone who thinks whites are not horrible creatures.

When the black girl goes on about how on her 1st semester, people were ignoring her opinions that disagreed with the professor because of her race.... I disagree, especially when she thinks that if there were more black women  in class also raising their opinion, maybe people would listen. Uh, no. Everyone else either agreed with the professor or were scared of disagreeing with the professor. It was everyone's first semester, not every 18 year old has the guts to say what they are thinking. Also, the fact that she was the only one disagreeing made her annoying, not her skin color. Have you ever had a classmate who always had to give their opinion about something? They are called annoying, nothing to do with race. I am sure plenty of them though she was an angry black women, but to think that if there were other 5 black women in class it would make a difference.... not it wouldn't, because not all black women think alike, plus some are coons and would go on the bandwagon of their classmates, and others are not opinionated.

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 1:01pm
They can't fix their community: it is too big, some people are on drugs, some are abused children who would never report their parents for fear of what would happen to them, and that's why, for now, they can only help themselves.

If they had time, I would say, enroll on Big Brother Big Sister or whatever it is called, program, and mentor a child from your community. Show them how much you achieved by studying and going to LS. Motivate them to stay in school and get good grades, and to enjoy studying too. That way, there will be more blacks at UCLA a few years from now.

Insensitive white people probably thought they were a bunch on cry babies. You know they did. Others may have understood their plight, but dunno if made them want to approach those people. Truth is, the video enlightens only the ones who want to learn about minorities.

Like trudawg said, it isn't their duty to teach those people something they cannot understand on their own.

Funny thing, I took a Spanish class at UCLA once. Everyone was white but me and an Asian lady. I aced that class, Spanish is ridiculously easy to learn for me. One day, I got an answer wrong though. The two women sitting next to me looked at each other with malicious and happy smiles like "she got it wrong!" when those two dumb b!tches couldn't get a thing right. The doctor sitting next to them just looked at me smiling too, probably happy. I didn't get it. Five weeks in and I get one wrong, and suddenly I am stupid? That did not make me want to prove anyone anything. I didn't care, I was still better than them in Spanish. They were better than me in something else, that's for sure, but we were not being tested on that, only on Spanish, and the one winning was me. My color never played a role, in my opinion. They probably saw me as this super eager black foreign girl (they asked me where I was from, the nosy butts) trying to show how smart she was..... but I saw me as the only one who had the answer. When the professor asked a question, the class was mute, so I raised my hand. Simple as that.
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 1:01pm
When will black people realize nothing u can say or do will influence white's feelings about the whole race. U are not representing for nobody in these damn classrooms or work offices. Stop caring about whites so much. This video was too much. I thought they was getting harassed and spit on like the 1960s. The first dude looked like he was bout to cry. Yall signed up to go to a PWI, u knew the enrollment numbers beforehand.
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

This is why I never said much in college...
Always--- had a chair near the door and made a friend or two just for notes etc.

I loved going to office hours to make them feel good about having an AA in the classroom. LOL... (This was so helpful--- thank you, and I was out)

It’s hard to get into a good grad school in Cali… trust...
So I played the game… I don’t need to make friends with everyone in my class. It was all about the money and the end game for me.

mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

When will black people realize nothing u can say or do will influence white's feelings about the whole race. U are not representing for nobody in these damn classrooms or work offices. Stop caring about whites so much. This video was too much. I thought they was getting harassed and spit on like the 1960s. The first dude looked like he was bout to cry. Yall signed up to go to a PWI, u knew the enrollment numbers beforehand.

i agree with this
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>