Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'One Ring' cellphone scam could cost you...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Brownsugar1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownsugar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'One Ring' cellphone scam could cost you...
    Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:14pm
Consumer experts are warning cellphone users about a new scam that could lead to big charges on your phone bill.

It's called the "One Ring" cellphone scam because that's how many times callers let it ring before they hang up.

What you do next determines whether or not you become a victim.

"It's scary because how many people are getting ripped off per day is astronomical," said Craig Arganoff, a tech expert with Gripd.com.

The scam is designed to prey on your curiosity. If you call the number back, the scammers slap your phone bill with a $20 connection fee, and then keep charging you $9 a minute as you wait for a real person to come on the line.

Arganoff said this robo-call-type program is capable of dialing tens of thousands of numbers a day and for the crooks behind it, it's a numbers game.

"Look, they'll send out a million of these and they know that at least 1 percent is going to call back, so it's quite an effective scam," Arganoff said.

According to the Better Business Bureau, the devious dialers just started their scam last week and it's sweeping fast across the country.

Most of the calls are coming from Caribbean countries with U.S.-like area codes. One of the numbers that show up on your caller ID is 268-762-0021.

The BBB expects complaints will be pouring in over the next couple weeks.

"The most important thing is when your phone bill comes in, take the time to check the charges," said BBB spokesman Michael Gavin.

You could also Google the number before you call back to make sure it's legit, but experts say the best way not to get scammed is to keep your curiosity in check.

"If you just don't recognize the number, don't call them back. If there's no message, it's probably not worth calling back," Arganoff said.

The BBB is investigating whether the personal information being used in this phone scam was obtained in the massive security breach at Target before the holidays.
Sponsored Links

BonitaApplebaum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (20) Thanks(20)   Quote BonitaApplebaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:15pm
I don't answer numbers I don't recognize...
Don't call them back either.
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:16pm
#TeamPrepaid Cool
KittenWhip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote KittenWhip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:17pm
If you don't recognize the number, GOOGLE it and see where it leads you.  Never call back.
BonitaApplebaum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BonitaApplebaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:18pm
Especially from a different area code...
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:20pm
Thx some telemarketing scam was blowing up my moms phones today. I called back and  told them to put her on the don't call list. I will not call back again.
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:23pm
I don't call numbers I don't know I block them
Brownsugar1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brownsugar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:25pm
i love the block mode and call rejection feature on my phone.
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:28pm
Yasssss fave feature
Originally posted by Brownsugar1 Brownsugar1 wrote:

i love the block mode and call rejection feature on my phone.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:34pm
man...i dont even call my contacts back...this aint a problem lmao
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System