Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

On my hair journey I've learned that...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:21am
1. Over-moisturizing is bad. When moisturizing my hair, I don't need to drench it with water. And it doesn't need to be every day. I learned this the hard way when I first started my HHJ and I didn't know anything >_>; For 2 weeks straight my hair was constantly damp... and then the mushy over-moisturized hair came. Eep.
2. Stretching relaxers/texlaxing take patience and TLC!
3. Gotta treat your hair like fine china to maximize length retention and keep ends healthy
4. I love buns :) I've been putting my hair in buns for so long, that I get really worried if my hair is braided and left down, and is constantly rubbing against my shirt or neck now. I've grown paranoid!
5. My hair loves co-washing
6. Less is more. I use very little LI/Oils in my hair right after washing, and moisturize every other day by misting it VERY lightly. I almost always have 2 buns in my hair (I change around the middle part), so my ends are 99% of the time completely hidden. Buns are redone every 3 days or so.
7. Putting next to nothing on my scalp leaves it very happy. Because of this, my scalp no longer starts smelling different (you know what i mean! not a bad smell but its different than it smells right after washing) when its due for washing. My hair smells fresh the entire week even after working out all week. I think the smell was due to oils on the scalp/hair. I've noticed if I have a lot of oil on the hair itself it will start to smell different after a few days too.
8. My hair loves being completely heat free
9. Learned the proper way to airdry to prevent frizz - doing it in braids and not touching until hair is completely dry.
10. Learned that my hair isn't healthy and strong like I always thought. Its long, yes, but far from healthy.
11. Learned that I was far too rough with my hair compared to how I should have been, and that I am incredibly lucky it hasn't all broken off. In fact, its probably a miracle. I've done really stupid things like not completely rinsing off relaxers etc. I mean, you could still see big globs of it behind my ear when I walked out the shower. I'd just take a towel and wipe it away and call it a day.
12. ^^^ I've learned alot! Whew!

Edited by darkvalkyrie123 - Mar 28 2013 at 8:29am
Sponsored Links

RedAdmiral101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedAdmiral101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:20pm
Totally agree w/ the over moisturizing. In my first year of being natural, i kept spritzing my hair with water,then sealed, & then bunned. It started breaking all over the place & I couldnt understand why. Moisturized hair doesnt have to mean its wet or damp.
Catrice26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catrice26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:48pm
1. glycerin is my hairs best friend
2. working with damp hair is better than working with dry or soaking wet hair
3. castor oil is the best sealer for my hair
4. i should only detangle when my hair has a lot of conditioner on it

skin care View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skin care Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 3:22am
My hair is so rough and I want to make them silky and smooth. Can you tell me some tips which can help me.
darkvalkyrie123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkvalkyrie123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 10:57am
Omg, I had a nice long response typed up and got that access denied error. /wrists

Sounds like your hair needs more moisture. You may need to start deep conditioning more and/or co-washing more frequently. For instance, if you use shampoo once a week, try cowashing weekly and using shampoo once per month instead. Shampooing your hair less also helps, or if possible, try going CG for a bit to see if your hair likes that more. Also, you should deep condition every time you wash, and if you haven't already, switch your regular conditioner to a more moisturizing one like tresseme naturals, aussie moist, herbal essences hello hydration, etc. You also need to use a moisturizing spritz in between washes (such as water+conditioner+oil), then seal with your favorite oil. It might take a couple weeks to start seeing results (it did for me). You may need to turn into a product junkie for a bit to see which products work for you but its worth it :)

Edited by darkvalkyrie123 - Mar 29 2013 at 10:58am
NattyDoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NattyDoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 2:48pm
Unfortunately, this past year I've learned that health problems can cause dry hair, and it may not be from bleaching and dying!

I kept cutting my hair over and over again because it kept drying out. I wasn't over-processing at all and wondered why it kept getting worse, even after I stopped dying. Then I realized it kept getting dryer and more fragile because of my hypothyroidism! All this time! My hair was down to the top of my chest last August; it could be so long by now! :( I'll be lucky if I can even get it back to that length by that time this year!
TalkTru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TalkTru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 6:41pm
I need protein!  I used to think protein wasn't needed because I am now natural, boy was I wrongPinch

Subscribe to my YouTube> http://www.youtube.com/user/Funmiloves
Tangala0810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tangala0810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:46pm
That my hair grows quicker in protective stylez and the best kind of hair products for me and my daughters hair or the more natural kind it makes our hair grow faster
renee728 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renee728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 2:39pm
My hair does not like a lot of moisture either.  
Just because it works for one person's hair doesn't mean it will work for me.
Keeping it simple is best for me too.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 5:22pm
Without manipulation single stranded knots will rule over my hair strands.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic