1. Over-moisturizing is bad. When moisturizing my hair, I don't need to drench it with water. And it doesn't need to be every day. I learned this the hard way when I first started my HHJ and I didn't know anything >_>; For 2 weeks straight my hair was constantly damp... and then the mushy over-moisturized hair came. Eep.
2. Stretching relaxers/texlaxing take patience and TLC!
3. Gotta treat your hair like fine china to maximize length retention and keep ends healthy
4. I love buns :) I've been putting my hair in buns for so long, that I get really worried if my hair is braided and left down, and is constantly rubbing against my shirt or neck now. I've grown paranoid!
5. My hair loves co-washing
6. Less is more. I use very little LI/Oils in my hair right after washing, and moisturize every other day by misting it VERY lightly. I almost always have 2 buns in my hair (I change around the middle part), so my ends are 99% of the time completely hidden. Buns are redone every 3 days or so.
7. Putting next to nothing on my scalp leaves it very happy. Because of this, my scalp no longer starts smelling different (you know what i mean! not a bad smell but its different than it smells right after washing) when its due for washing. My hair smells fresh the entire week even after working out all week. I think the smell was due to oils on the scalp/hair. I've noticed if I have a lot of oil on the hair itself it will start to smell different after a few days too.
8. My hair loves being completely heat free
9. Learned the proper way to airdry to prevent frizz - doing it in braids and not touching until hair is completely dry.
10. Learned that my hair isn't healthy and strong like I always thought. Its long, yes, but far from healthy.
11. Learned that I was far too rough with my hair compared to how I should have been, and that I am incredibly lucky it hasn't all broken off. In fact, its probably a miracle. I've done really stupid things like not completely rinsing off relaxers etc. I mean, you could still see big globs of it behind my ear when I walked out the shower. I'd just take a towel and wipe it away and call it a day.
12. ^^^ I've learned alot! Whew!
Edited by darkvalkyrie123 - Mar 28 2013 at 8:29am