Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Okra for healthy hair growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Okra for healthy hair growth
    Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 12:53am
I am starting a healthy hair growth challenge which will be ongoing for Okra.  Okra can be used as a shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, setting lotion, or final rinse.  I will be using it as a final rinse.

Okra contains:
Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Niacin, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Manganese, Beta Carotene, Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Zinc, Copper, Calcium, Folate, Potassium, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Iron and many other nutrients.  Protein and oil found in the seeds of okra is enriched with amino acids with the likes of tryptophan, cystine and other sulfur amino acids.

You can either use it as a final rinse and wash it out after 10-15 minutes, or leave it in the hair until your next shampoo.  I will be leaving it in until my next wash and will be using it straight with no additives.  

Preparation:
Cut 3-10 pieces of okra vertically.  Boil the okra until frothy and slimy.  Strain the mixture into a container.  You can add lemon or oils if you like.  Apply to hair and cover 10-15 minutes if washing out, then do your final rinse; or apply to hair and leave in until your next wash day.  Let hair air dry and try not to use a blow dryer.  Style as usual.  It will add bounce and shine to your hair.

I used frozen okra, but if you can use fresh.

Please post a starting picture and state whether you will be rinsing it out or leaving it in.  Feel free to post an update whenever you have new growth, whether it is weekly, bi-weekly or monthly.  This is a no pressure thread.  Feel free to lurk, but I hope you join in.

Here is my starting picture:

I will wear the same shirt when I do my update.  My hair is right at armpit length now.  Use "Love" as a guide.
Sponsored Links

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 12:54am
This doesn't get sticky?
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 12:59am
No, when your hair dries it will have a slick, silky feel to it.  There is no smell either.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 9:06am
This should be interesting.  I remember LUSH selling an okra shampoo years ago.  I don't know if they still do.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 9:07am
Forgot to ask, are you relaxed, texturized, or natural?  Did you blow dry your hair in the last picture or just slicked your hair down with the okra gel?
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 2:22am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

This should be interesting.  I remember LUSH selling an okra shampoo years ago.  I don't know if they still do.

They still do, I guess

http://www.lushusa.com/Okra/00906,en_US,pd.html

It has SLS though.
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 11:02pm
Hi NARSAddict, and welcome sexyandfamous!  I am natural.  The picture above was before I applied the okra to my hair.  I let my hair air dry, and then I flat ironed a piece so you can see my true length. 

This picture is with the okra left in my hair.  I packed it on too.  I let my hair air dry, and then braided it.  I took the braids out so it would appear slightly wavy.  I apologize for the picture quality.  As soon as I get a cord for my other camera, you'll be able to see how shiny my hair is.  I'll continue to post my journey online.  I believe in giving things a try for 3-4 months to see if it is right for you.  Since it is food (sulfur), I know my hair will love it.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

They still do, I guess

http://www.lushusa.com/Okra/00906,en_US,pd.html

It has SLS though.

Yeah I will have to pass on Lush since SLS wrecks havoc on my scalp.
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by aGoddess aGoddess wrote:

No, when your hair dries it will have a slick, silky feel to it.  There is no smell either.

oh ok..thx..
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 12:00pm
Sexyandfamous, thank you for that link.  The product has some great ingredients in it.  I appreciated both the pros and cons.  Just wanted to ask, have you or NARSAddict or anybody else tried the honey shampoo?  That sounded interesting to me.  Never thought of shampooing with honey before, although I love it as a deep conditioner.

Here are some updated pictures of my hair with the okra in it.  No other products added on hair.

My apologies for the crazy angle.  It was difficult trying to take those pictures by myself.  The best way I can explain Okra...it is exactly the same as homemade flaxseed gel, but an extremely lite version of it, minus oils.  They both leave the hair healthier, shiny, bouncy and silky.  I love this!  I add this to my hair after every shampoo.  Will come back with an update when I get more growth from it.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>