Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oh Shea Moisture...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh Shea Moisture...
    Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 8:13am

So they have a new line out called repairing and smoothing or some such nonsense. I was wondering if it really meant anything or if the line was the same as all the others which to me work the same. Apparently this line is for use with heat straightening. I was on their IG and someone asked what ingredient helps with straightening and they said sodium sulfite which is supposed to be a safer alternative to the formaldehyde, etc, in Brazilian blowouts. I googled.

"It works with sodium sulfite, the same food-grade preservative used in many red wines. It operates by breaking down the disulfide bonds of the hair to soften the curl and reduce frizz. "

"which grows out after one to four months, relies on sodium sulfite (a food-grade preservative) instead of formaldehyde to break down the natural bonds in curls."

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/706200/SODIUM_SULFITE/

See how the conditioner specifically says rinse out? I wonder why? Hmmm, well I already know I won't be purchasing this but what are your thoughts? I think Shea Moisture is getting out of it's element. Geek

Edited by liesnalibis - Feb 25 2014 at 8:18am
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 8:45am
yeah these companies are trying to be slick with it.  they were talking about Beautiful Texures Naturally Straight system on FB.  Ive been checking online for the ingredients but i cant find them but i already know what i'll find...just want confirmation.

video

http://www.beautifultextures.com/try_tms

if you listen at 3:48 as she describe the time they left the product in depending on hair texture, it sounds like a texturizer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlxFsfSlWTA

Edited by tatee - Feb 25 2014 at 8:55am
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 8:59am
Yeah tatee I think they should be more upfront about what these products are actually doing. It's not completely harmless and restorative like the rest of their line but it has the same packaging. Notice it says the chemical has to grow out...it doesn't just wear off. Shea Moisture is known as a natural line and people trust it for that reason. I know I did. But everyone who runs out and gets this because it says "Shea Moisture" on it essentially won't be natural anymore. And you can't tell me this isn't breaking down the hair slowly over repeated uses. Some people are okay with that but others will be fooled. It's low of the company to discard everything they stood for and deceive their customers all in the name of money. They should at least put a boxed warning on the label to let people know this line's effects are cumulative and not reversible.
marissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 10:22am
OP, thanks for the heads up. I saw this in Target during the BOGO sale and was about to buy many other products in this line (specifically the treatment), but decided to only get the masque instead. Good thing I did.
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 11:24am
MY HAIR LIKES NONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS NONE!
AriesBabe09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AriesBabe09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 3:30pm
Yep...I briefly looked at this in passing in Target, once I saw straightening I just kept walking.
shellbee823 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellbee823 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 4:44pm
nah
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2014 at 8:23pm
I was looking into healthier alternatives for long term straightening natural hair like 6 mos ago. By the end of it, I decided that NOTHING IS SAFE. Since then, I said "screw this" and I've decided to just start roller setting.
scorpion1585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scorpion1585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 5:22am
helpful thnx
exceedinggrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exceedinggrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 8:23pm
thanks for posting this. I usually steer clear of sheamoisture products anyway, there's just something about sheabutter and shea based products that dry out my skin and hair.. Maybe I'm shea-sensitive, lol
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>