Mynx Hair

Author
Lick3Shots View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by K.U.R.E K.U.R.E wrote:

Also, before I go off to read:

Some of you are whining that "why shouldn't I get a break, wah wah. I pay out of state tuition...wah wah." First, you chose to study out of state. Second, can you see beyond your selfish ass self to see that this impacts our society (in terms of human captial development)? Finally, what is really the issue here is this: Why should a undocumented California college student pay out of state tution for going to school in California? It makes education less afforable and is really an unnecessary burden on people.

I know some of you will moan: but we shouldn't be helping illegals. But here is the problem-did these students make the personal decision to be illgeal? No. They are illgeal through no fault of their own.

If you are referring to me with this, then I don't see where I was whining about anything, first of all, and you don't know jack shyt about why someone chose to go to the school that they go to.

Furthermore, I don't blame immigrants for this fvcked up system, but it is fvcked up for American citizens, too. If you were referring to my post (and I believe you were), never did I once blame any illegal person for this nonsense, but it is nonsense and yes, my selfish ass self has a right to be pissed.
Sponsored Links

gimmeMORE. View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:34pm
They are not supposed to be in this country in the first place, now they are getting free sh*t?  American taxpayers have to fund this, I dont support it. I would rather actual citizens get in-state tuition if they are going to give it to people.  This is different than the Civil Rights movement, since last time I checked black people didn't ask to be brought over here.  The population who will be disproportionately affected by this came to America on their own free will (illegally).  I don't care if they are Latinos or Martians, they shouldn't be able to jump in front of people who have actually been born in this country.

Edited by gimmeMORE. - Apr 20 2009 at 7:38pm
TexasPearl22 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by JulieGianni JulieGianni wrote:

Also, how can you be a considered a resident of state when you aren't even recognized by the country the state is in?

ITA. My opinion does not apply to children that are born in the states but, those that are NOT here legally..
natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by LadyCC LadyCC wrote:

Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

I have two questions for the people who are against it.

Would you prefer that these highschoolers (who this particular law targets) remain uneducated, just hang around unemployed because they can't afford to pay three times as much? How would that be good for any society to have teenagers idle and unemployed?

This is just my opinion but with all due respect, it is not about what I or anyone person would prefer.  It is a majority still in the US of A.  To amend laws for the benefit of a particular group - illegal I might add - is one of the problems we face today.  Amend laws for the rich, amend laws for illegals, etc.  I would prefer that blacks, hispanics, etc highschoolers who are already here legally be given the opportunity to go to college at in-state rates and only students studying here from abroad (or illegally cuz they have no legal residency here either) pay full tuition.  Are you saying that  the legal highschoolers who also can't afford to pay three times as much and therefore do not go to college but still somehow become productive citizens is not possible for illegals?  Maybe they should become citizens.  Lets be honest here, illegals are here by choice - the initial blacks by slave ships.  This statement may be a bit controversal but there is true there.  USA is not the only country one can settle in. There are many who endure and overcome adversity all within the confines of the law.  
Of course not. What I am saying is, most people agree that without a college education, the average person in TODAY'S market can't accomplish much. Which to a large extent is true. So disallowing these high school graduates from pursuing higher education does not help the neighborhoods, cities, states and country YOU live in. I am not implying that they are all going to join gangs and turn to pickpocketing, drug pushing or whatever just because they don't get to further their education. But the odds are that some of them just may. And we don't want that, do we?

Just one troublemaker on the street is too much.

I totally do not think that they should pay any less than bonafide citizens. That's just crazy. But they shouldn't be prevented from studying further by way of astronomical rates for tuition. If the margin were narrowed, there wouldn't be this debate.

talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 8:02pm

First off, IMO I don't believe anyone is jumping in front of anyone - blacks have an opportunity to go to college and even Ivy league schools such as Wharton and Harvard (I believe) which offered scholarships to lower SES black students who had at least a B average and whose family made less than 70K a year.  

Second, IMO why they don't become legal citizens before they go to college during those 3/4 years they are here in high school is because the process of becoming a legal citizen when you've entered this country illegally is a nightmare.  You first must return to your country and wait for some undetermined amount of time until you're case is heard  .....so why not seek asylum.....some have tried and have failed miserably only to go back to their home countries and lose touch with their younger children who were born here that are considered illegals in their parent's country because they are not citizens there.   

Personally, I would rather see my tax money going to educate someone than to give them a handout, such as welfare, when they abuse the system and choose not to find a job.   We can make the same argument for the many generations of blacks/whites on welfare -- why don't they just go to school when everything is available to them basically for free from the state.    They are citizens of this country which has many great programs for them to benefit from.  Why?  Cuz' sometimes it's easier to be given fish than to learn how to fish for yourself. 

Also, many of the high school students that don't have an ability to pay out of state tuition often join the military - with the hopes of getting the GI bill - only to die before they can even realize that.  It's sad that this country will allow them to die without any regard as to whether or not they here legally or not, all that matters is that they are good enough to die for the U.S.A.
bebekay View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i don't understand how you're being punished? i rather pay for this than an AMERICAN on welfare who isn't trying to help him/herself. i rather pay for this than bail out wallstreet. i rather pay for this than for needle exchange programs. i rather pay for this than for a unnecessary and futile war.

and KURE i agree to an extent. That is why Blacks and Latinos have some problems. They're fighting for the same jobs, same neighborhoods and often times black are losing.

tell 'em!!

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 8:55pm

IMO blacks have and should have the opportunity to go to college for FREE if they have the GPA because of a little thing called slave ships and 200 years of oppression.  You can't even compare.  Blacks were unwillingly separated from their families and are now trying to endure.  Things just started to turn around in just the last 2-3 generations.  Yes, blacks should keep moving forward even though there is still adversities alive and well against them and not look back but sh&t is what it is.

Young immigrants may not have had a choice but neither did young and adult blacks who have ancestors who were slaves.  Hell yeah they contributed to the shaping of America.

Edited by LadyCC - Apr 20 2009 at 9:08pm
bebekay View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by gimmeMORE. gimmeMORE. wrote:

They are not supposed to be in this country in the first place, now they are getting free sh*t? 

i must have missed were it stated they were getting free shyt.

from what im reading it says they will PAY in state..meaning they have to actually pay out of their pockets...no?
Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by NEWMRS216 NEWMRS216 wrote:

Originally posted by Lick3Shots Lick3Shots wrote:

Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

kure, I think why people are upset is that born and bred US citizens from out of the state in question would be paying out of state tuition. And that is not fair at all. If it wasn't such a huge disparity in the tuition rates, it would not be a problem
IA. I'm a legal immigrant and this pisses me off. In general, I don't have very strong feelings about illegal immigrants, but I am bothered by this. I pay out-of-state tuition for my school, despite having lived and worked in VA for years, and I can't even qualify for in-state tuition.I'm not sure about VA's policy, but if it's the same as NJ's then I don't think that's fair.
why is this? what are VA's residency requirements?sidenote: I agree with JG. no one is telling the illegal immigrants they cna't go to school. they are saying pay full tuition or become legal and THEN be eligible for reduced tuition.. you can't continue to get full benefits of being an American but not be an American.. it just doesn't work that way.. treat me like a citizen cause i been here long enough to be one.... even though i'm not.. uh uh... FAIL

Exactly
natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by bebekay bebekay wrote:

Originally posted by gimmeMORE. gimmeMORE. wrote:

They are not supposed to be in this country in the first place, now they are getting free sh*t? 

i must have missed were it stated they were getting free shyt.

from what im reading it says they will PAY in state..meaning they have to actually pay out of their pockets...no?
bbk since when do we have to read the article to comment? Shocked
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
  Share Topic