Author
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by NEWMRS216 NEWMRS216 wrote:

Originally posted by Lick3Shots Lick3Shots wrote:

Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

kure, I think why people are upset is that born and bred US citizens from out of the state in question would be paying out of state tuition. And that is not fair at all. If it wasn't such a huge disparity in the tuition rates, it would not be a  problem 

IA. I'm a legal immigrant and this pisses me off. In general, I don't have very strong feelings about illegal immigrants, but I am bothered by this. I pay out-of-state tuition for my school, despite having lived and worked in VA for years, and I can't even qualify for in-state tuition.

I'm not sure about VA's policy, but if it's the same as NJ's then I don't think that's fair.

why is this?   what are VA's residency requirements?

sidenote:  I agree with JG. no one is telling the illegal immigrants they cna't go to school. they are saying pay full tuition or become legal and THEN be eligible for reduced tuition..  you can't continue to get full benefits of being an American but not be an American.. it just doesn't work that way.. 
treat me like a citizen cause i been here long enough to be one.... even though i'm not..  uh uh... FAIL

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Originally posted by JulieGianni JulieGianni wrote:

Originally posted by K.U.R.E K.U.R.E wrote:

Originally posted by JulieGianni JulieGianni wrote:

I had family that came over here legally.

I don't see the point in rewarding bad behavior.  I just don't.

And never mind, I went into debt for an education and I didn't qualify for in-state tuition ANYWHERE.

1. Did you ever stop and think that maybe your family had the money and privilege to immigrate to the US legally? No, you just gloss over that very important fact. Many in the world aren't so lucky.

2. What about looking at the bad behavior of corporations, politics, and policy makers. The people and institutions who allow illegal immigration to occur? Nope, it's easier to scapegoat people, isn't it? Out of all the people in the world, you would think we as blacks would be a little bit more aware of this fact.

Well, you know what, nobody told them to come here and nothing was promised to them.

The American public owes them nothing.

They took that chance when they crossed the border.

I'm sure you're not talking about Canadians
LOLLOLLOL seriously though folks, and in particular to those who did not read the article, please bear in mind, that the bill is specific to students who were in high school for three years prior. This does NOT apply to people who are illegal and came across when they were already adults. So it's not ALL illegals who would be getting that "benefit" if you want to call it that.

Also, what most people don't realize is that the difference in tuition is VAST. You are talking about, in cases that I personally know of, THREE TIMES AS much what a local resident would pay. That really isn't fair. It's not fair either to the citizens to go to another state and pay three times as much what an "illegal alien" is paying.  The whole system is screwed.

You'd think that people would be happy that these "illegal aliens" were interested in higher education.

Edited by natural girl - Apr 20 2009 at 3:57pm
Lick3Shots View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

LOLLOLLOL seriously though folks, and in particular to those who did not read the article, please bear in mind, that the bill is specific to students who were in high school for three years prior. This does NOT apply to people who are illegal and came across when they were already adults. So it's not ALL illegals who would be getting that "benefit" if you want to call it that.

Also, what most people don't realize is that the difference in tuition is VAST. You are talking about, in cases that I personally know of, THREE TIMES AS much what a local resident would pay. That really isn't fair. It's not fair either to the citizens to go to another state and pay three times as much what an "illegal alien" is paying.  The whole system is screwed.

You'd think that people would be happy that these "illegal aliens" were interested in higher education.

The truth. The emeffin truth!

ETA: Newmrs, I'm not sure what they are. I've looked them up and I believe I meet all the requirements, but each time I've applied I have been rejected!

Edited by Lick3Shots - Apr 20 2009 at 4:13pm
SELU10 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:07pm
ITA with NEWMRS216.
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:23pm

If you want to pay in-state then become a legal citizen.  That way just like the rest of us who are reaping the benefits of "Hot Apple pie, Chevrolet and sh&t"  the guberment can take a slice of their pie every April 15th!!!

CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:24pm
Wow.

For real?

I feel like all my hard work in this country means nothing unless I'm here illegally, or have 12 kids.

I feel like I'm being punished for doing what I'm supposed to do.

Smdh.

Let them do what they want, the world's ending in 2012 anyways.

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:26pm
Oh, and Virginia ain't goin' for that!!  Read about actions over the last 4 years involving illegals and employees who have employed them in Virginia (Alexandria and Fredericksburg).  Its not pro-illegals. 

Edited by LadyCC - Apr 20 2009 at 4:27pm
natural girl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:33pm
I have two questions for the people who are against it.

Would you prefer that these highschoolers (who this particular law targets) remain uneducated, just hang around unemployed because they can't afford to pay three times as much? How would that be good for any society to have teenagers idle and unemployed?
Sinnamon_Mami View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by LadyCC LadyCC wrote:

If you want to pay in-state then become a legal citizen.  That way just like the rest of us who are reaping the benefits of "Hot Apple pie, Chevrolet and sh&t"  the guberment can take a slice of their pie every April 15th!!!

IA... LOL... We have to understand that this money to provide for in-state tuition does not come from "the sky" this comes from our taxes... So, let's say we send all of these mofos to school... Guess what?? It's not fair to us who have to report income to qualify for financial aid and have to pay taxes... How are these people productive citizens?? They work, save, and enjoy the benefits of not paying SS, FICA, Medicaid and Federal and State.... Doesn't seem fair at all....
talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 4:41pm
Where's that fence * sticks head in and runs out*  

I'm for the new bill - how can I tell my students - who are 99% illegal to do well in school so that you can go to college if they will never be able to afford to go.  Often my students are the only ones in their immediate family that have even gotten even more schooling than their parents....and I only teach 4th/5th grade.  My parents may at best have a 3rd grade education.....  

I think that one solution is to offer these undocumented students an opportunity to go to college paying in-state tuition fees with the caveat that they become citizens before they can graduate and if they don't want to give up their ties to their home country, allow them to have dual citizenship. 

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic