Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Obamas My Brothers Keeper excludes most black org
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Obamas My Brothers Keeper excludes most black org

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obamas My Brothers Keeper excludes most black org
    Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:18pm
http://breakingbrown.com/2014/05/most-black-organizations-excluded-from-president-obamas-my-brothers-keeper-initiative/

Most Black Organizations Excluded From President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper Initiative

When President Obama announced his My Brother’s Keeper initiative to enormous fanfare a few months back, most observers welcomed it with a phrase that has come to represent the black community’s diminished expectations with this administration– at least he’s doing something. Yes, the Obama administration is doing something; giving most of the charitable dollars intended to help black boys to white organizations.

The White House grant requirements for My Brother’s Keeper effectively ban most black charities and organizations from participating. A rule for eligibility requires “national organizations defined as having active chapters or sub awardees in at least 45 states.” This rule excludes most black organizations, many of which see no reason to have chapters in many mostly white states. The only organization that might meet the 45 state requirement is the NAACP, but the rule effectively excludes most black organizations.

In response, 100 Black Men of America sent a letter to the White House expressing disappointment in the rule.

“Since 1963, the 100 Black Men of America Inc., has embraced challenges impacting black boys …. as you could imagine, as a national organization with a presence in 30-plus states, we were indeed pleased to see that the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention had finally extended an opportunity for historically excluded opportunities to fully participate in the national funding opportunities available …. Unfortunately our jubilation was short lived, as your office’s revised RFP of April 10, 2014, quickly quelled any hopes we had of enriching and expanding the services we currently provide for the children that we serve,” 100 Black Men President Michael Brown wrote in the letter, reports Crew of 42.

Sponsored Links

Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:33pm
The initative is barely a month old and already stones are being thrown?  This criticism is from one person's blog "Crew of 42" and now reposted web wide as a "fact".  More time is needed before it can be proven that black organizations in general besides one group are so called "cut out" of the initiative's efforts.

Sometimes I feel we as a people are too quick to judge Obama as a failure simply because he doesn't scream "black power" 24/7 from the White House.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:36pm
Are they sure about that? There are blacks in churches, clubs, and leagues everywhere. It seems all they need to be is affiliated with a national organization.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic