Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oakland senior has a 5.0 GPA; scored 2100 on SAT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oakland senior has a 5.0 GPA; scored 2100 on SAT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

how am I petty?

seriously, do smoke weed regularly?

See what I mean?

And please I don't need anybody to agree with me and when I say andybody I do mean andybody. That's petty shyt.
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:04pm

you called me petty before I asked about weed

you seem paranoid, that's why I asked
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:05pm
super proud of him!  There's been a debate for years about the inequality of resources at Oakland Tech High in comparison to Piedmont High(white) which is like a mile away...it's great to see someone from there winning.  
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

you called me petty before I asked about weed

you seem paranoid, that's why I asked

That was just another example. You been petty.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:07pm

oh okay

it must be star against the board, huh?

*petty edit*

Edited by SamoneLenior - Apr 21 2014 at 3:12pm
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 3:29pm
Go ahead young brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 4:11pm
He was on Ellen today and she/Shutterfly gave him a check for $15K.

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

He was on Ellen today and she/Shutterfly gave him a check for $15K.

OMG that's awesome! I need to find the link for his fundraiser. I wonder how much he got so far.

eta: found Ouch less than 2k http://www.gofundme.com/85lma0

Edited by sexyandfamous - Apr 23 2014 at 9:14pm
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:56am

More awards, cash for Yale-bound Akintunde Ahmad

Chip Johnson
Published 5:23 pm, Monday, May 19, 2014

The Oakland Raiders will fling open the doors to their Alameda headquarters gift shop Tuesday and give Oakland Technical High School senior Akintunde Ahmad the shopping spree of a lifetime.

"We want to load him up with Raider products so when he steps onto the Yale campus next fall, he can do it in Raider style," said Mike Taylor, a team spokesman.

What was once a family joke has become reality. Mubarak Ahmad, Akintunde's father, would say, "I want to grow up to be just like 'Tunde."

Now, a lot of people want to be like 'Tunde. Or connect with him. Or take a selfie with him. Anything.

Life has been a whirlwind since the story of the young man from East Oakland with the 5.0 grade-point average and a fistful of admission offers from Ivy League schools hit the Internet.

In the last month, Ahmad has been featured on everything from YouTube videos to national talk shows.

Since I wrote about the academic wunderkind in an April 4 column, he has trended like a member of the Kardashian clan, and has flown from one talk show interview to the next.

He appeared on most of the Bay Area's local news stations and did an interview on MSNBC along with his mother, Zarina, an elementary school principal at Oakland's Piedmont Avenue Elementary School.

By late April, when he appeared on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show", Ahmad was comfortable in front of the cameras. When he was introduced, he halted for a quick two-step move before sitting down.

He surprised everyone by announcing on "Ellen" that he would attend Yale University this fall. He then received a surprise of his own: a game-show-size check for $15,000 from Shutterfly, an online photo, card and album company in Redwood City.

The gift came as his parents were scrambling to find a way to come up with nearly $20,000 for the coming school year, their portion of the first-year tuition costs.

The check was the "biggest" cash award, but not the only honor Ahmad has received.

That all of this has happened a month before Ahmad even turned 18 years old has not swelled the young man's head, a characteristic his parents attribute to their son's "old soul." He's a young man with the wisdom of an old man. He took it all in stride.

"I'm kind of surprised by the amount of support (I've received) and how the story took off," Ahmad said in a phone interview on Friday. "I never expected it would be all of this, but I'm definitely embracing it, and I'm glad it happened because it's helped a lot."

Ahmad has also received a $1,500 scholarship from Bay Area restaurant chain Burma Superstar in partnership with the Golden State Warriors. On May 30, he is scheduled to toss out the first pitch at the A's game against the Los Angeles Angels. He has raised $2,500 on his own through a crowdfunding website, GoFundMe. By graduation day, June 11, he should have almost enough to pay for his first year of college.

His airfare and accommodations for his college visits back East to Columbia, Brown and Yale universities were paid for by a donor who has also pledged to help support Ahmad throughout his college career. And Taylor and the Raiders need not worry about Ahmad's clothing options. He may be one of Yale's most fashionable freshmen next year.

In addition to the Raiders, four clothing lines, Pink Dolphin, Creative Class, Benny Gold and Oakland's signature shop, Oaklandish, have given him shirts, hats and gear with an Oakland sign, symbol or name.

Even as his outstanding academic achievements are recognized, Ahmad continues to rack up the trophies.

Ahmad, the Oakland Tech Bulldogs starting center fielder for the last two years, was named Student Athlete of the Year in the Oakland region by the California Interscholastic Federation, the governing body for high school sports. The honor included a $2,000 cash award. He is also a candidate for Student Athlete of the Year in the Oakland Athletic League.

He was recognized by the Oakland City Council, which passed a resolution to salute his achievements, and last week attended a mixer held by the Charles Houston Bar Association, an organization made up of African American lawyers, judges and law students from across Northern California.

"I met John Burris," Ahmad said.

I've met him too. He's a nice guy and a wildly successful Oakland defense attorney.

I gotta say: No offense, John, but I remain more impressed with 'Tunde.

BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:58am
"By graduation day, June 11, he should have almost enough to pay for his first year of college."

OuchCry

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair