FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

'Not Sorry'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Not Sorry'
    Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:30pm

Pantene 'Not Sorry' Video Tells Women To Stop Apologizing So Much

The Huffington Post  | By Nina Bahadur

video

Women: stop apologizing when you have nothing to apologize for.

A new video from Pantene's #ShineStrong series shows a number of situations where women say "sorry" for things they shouldn't -- and the results will hit home with many viewers. Studies show that women apologize more than men, often for perfectly reasonable acts like, you know, taking up space. The scenes of women apologizing for asking a question, not immediately anticipating someone else's needs and asking for something they want or need are eerily familiar.

In a March 2014 blog for The Huffington Post, Ani Vrabel nailed exactly what the problem is with women apologizing when there's no need to say "I'm sorry":

At some point, I began using "sorry" as a synonym for "excuse me." It came to mean, "I didn't see you there and you startled me!" and "I have a question" and "I'm carrying so many things that I'm taking up more space on the subway than usual." It rarely meant, "I made a poor decision or did something wrong and it impacted you negatively. I recognize this and feel bad about it and would like to make things better between us."

And in a February 2013 piece for Jezebel, Karyn Polewaczyk suggested that women over-apologize because they feel "undeserving." "Women are expected to be exceptionally grateful for the crumbs tossed our way," She wrote. "And so we show our gratitude by cushioning our wants with a series of, 'I know this is asking a lot, but...', 'I hate to ask, but could you...' and 'I might sound like an idiot for wondering, but...'-isms. "

The Pantene commercial also shows what certain scenes look like without an apology -- encouraging women to #ShineStrong. While it's polite to apologize for, say, hogging the bedcovers, the commercial does a good job at unpacking something most of us are probably guilty of and encouraging us to change the habit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/18/pantene-not-sorry-shine-strong_n_5507461.html

Edited by tatee - Jun 20 2014 at 1:30pm
Sponsored Links

Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:45pm

these white women are too much
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 2:15pm
fixed

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Pantene 'Not Sorry' Video Tells White Women To Stop Apologizing So Much

The Huffington Post  | By Nina Bahadur

video

Women: stop apologizing when you have nothing to apologize for.

A new video from Pantene's #ShineStrong series shows a number of situations where women say "sorry" for things they shouldn't -- and the results will hit home with many viewers. Studies show that women apologize more than men, often for perfectly reasonable acts like, you know, taking up space. The scenes of women apologizing for asking a question, not immediately anticipating someone else's needs and asking for something they want or need are eerily familiar.

In a March 2014 blog for The Huffington Post, Ani Vrabel nailed exactly what the problem is with women apologizing when there's no need to say "I'm sorry":

At some point, I began using "sorry" as a synonym for "excuse me." It came to mean, "I didn't see you there and you startled me!" and "I have a question" and "I'm carrying so many things that I'm taking up more space on the subway than usual." It rarely meant, "I made a poor decision or did something wrong and it impacted you negatively. I recognize this and feel bad about it and would like to make things better between us."

And in a February 2013 piece for Jezebel, Karyn Polewaczyk suggested that women over-apologize because they feel "undeserving." "Women are expected to be exceptionally grateful for the crumbs tossed our way," She wrote. "And so we show our gratitude by cushioning our wants with a series of, 'I know this is asking a lot, but...', 'I hate to ask, but could you...' and 'I might sound like an idiot for wondering, but...'-isms. "

The Pantene commercial also shows what certain scenes look like without an apology -- encouraging women to #ShineStrong. While it's polite to apologize for, say, hogging the bedcovers, the commercial does a good job at unpacking something most of us are probably guilty of and encouraging us to change the habit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/18/pantene-not-sorry-shine-strong_n_5507461.html

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 2:16pm
they tryna be like Dove n'sh*t now?

that said.. I have seen this in action. I've had women apologize to me for asking a question. It's just one of those societal things that is subtly taught to a lot of women.

IMO.
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 2:17pm
I rarely say sorry because i wouldn't mean it anyway and i don't have a need to be seen as polite.
Fraiche2Death View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraiche2Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 2:25pm
Is this a clear woman problem? Shrug.
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 8:00pm
I work in customer service, and I have to say sorry all the time...I really don't be giving a single phuck.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 8:08pm
I say sorry all the time....It's really a bad habit when I have nothing to be sorry for.

The other day I said to my boss, "Sorry, I know I'm bothering you but...." when I should have just asked the question after getting his attention.

zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 8:16pm
i say sorry coz im not rude and im a fuccing lady Stern Smile....aint much deeper than that Pinch
Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 8:20pm
I hate when people say... im sorry then they insult. Im sorry but she ugly... what you sorry bout? Maybe she's ugly... you didnt do it
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic