Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:00am
I took about six AP classes and tests. None were science related.... No that's a lie.... I took AP Bio. I got that little certificate you get when you take a certain number of tests and get 4s and up.

My dh and I payed for his niece to take one test.
Sponsored Links

Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:16am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

is STEM science technology engineering and math?
if so, for science i wouldnt say i was ever discouraged, especially from research
but i know of several programs dedicated to getting minorities into those fields. and im sure they are they out of necessity 

yes
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:52am
Not that surprising. Most IT related jobs don't require computer science degrees with the right certifications and experience.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I took AP Physics and IB Enfglish and Art (lol)

I passed the IB English test and only had to take one semester of honors English in college

I did not pass the Art test lol. Which is okay because if I did I probably would have stupidly minored in something art related.

Never cared to take the AP Physics test, I got a B+ in that class

Hardcore sciences never really interested me

I do wish I went to a Science and Technology high school though

I was in a program for math and science at one of the top high schools in America (ranked #4 nationally and #1 in the state) and had the opportunity to enroll there but chose not to because I wanted to go to school with my friends.....
Yeah. Similar situation. I passed on going to a IB High school to stay with friends.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 1:30pm
I left an IB school to go be with friends.
I hated that school. 
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 2:36pm
i wish i could go back to hs... 

Ming View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 2:43pm
I took AP and honors classes. They put me in a cisco course... ditched with other AP kids. Dumbest thing I did.
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

This is definitely my topic of interest. 

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

great point 

I will never forget hearing teachers tell female students that "it is ok you're not good at math - you're just a girl." The irony was that many of these teachers were female.

Our society still has many stereotypes and narrow minded, ignorant views on women and what we are capable of; and I think these stereotypes and prejudices have a lot to do with the lack of females majoring in these fields. 

I mean, I think there are other factors that contribute to the issue (i.e. our priorities - unfortunately education is not a priority for many kids today) 

eta: I think it'll be a great idea to start brainstorming initiatives to encourage not only females, but female minorities, to enter these fields. I do know women who professionals in the STEM field, but not many are AA - majority are all females from Southeast Asia (India, Pakistan, etc) 

Edited by purpulicious01 - Jan 18 2014 at 3:11pm
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 3:07pm
I got a 2 in one of my AP tests. Dead
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 3:13pm
I got a 2 in AP Chemistry too RT.
I CLEP'ed out in college though.

My teacher in highschool was trash we were trash students too.
We would jump out of the window and climb to the roof of the school to avoid her
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>