Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 8:04pm
Meliky NSBE has been great to me! 

But I've had horrible experiences. I've been told Im not good enough to take clsses that other people in my grade have taken, I've been the only black girl in a few classes, I've been called a nicca, it's not fun. I could tell you stories for days.

ETA: I should add not everyone is bad. I've met many helpful people and good friends. But it's more structural (not the word Im looking for) if anything. All the Asians study together, All the white boys have their. I don't really have a group like that to work through and support so Im at a disadvantage. (except nsbe, but theres only 1 person w/my major in it).

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Jan 14 2014 at 8:09pm
Sponsored Links

eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

I took ap courses cuz my brain needed the challenge. Didn't bother with the tests. Not a biggie

this
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Meliky NSBE has been great to me! 

But I've had horrible experiences. I've been told Im not good enough to take classes that other people in my grade have taken, I've been the only black girl in a few classes, I've been called a nicca, it's not fun. I could tell you stories for days.

oh my! yeah that is pretty deep. Cry
i had quite a few african international students at my undergrad, so I always had a black person in the room who was smarter than everyone elseLOL.. that might have held them back too.

Edited by melikey - Jan 14 2014 at 8:09pm
hopeful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote hopeful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 8:46pm
most of my classes were ap classes in my senior year, but i couldn't afford the tests.
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 9:09pm
Im glad you said that Hopeful, because I completely forgot that we had to pay for the tests. I think it'd be interesting to see which 11 states saw no AA's taking this test, and see if they matched up with states with poorer black populations. 
hopeful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopeful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 9:50pm
I'm in MD, and they recently started waiving fees for low income students, which is partially why I think the AA % in MD is high.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 10:02pm
I knew they had AP for C++ but not Computer Science...or is that the same thing.  Anyway, its unfortunate black students aren't interested.  My boo has a degree in computer science.  I'm getting one in a health care field.  Would be nice if more black people went this route...
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 2:34am

I took AP Physics and IB Enfglish and Art (lol)

I passed the IB English test and only had to take one semester of honors English in college

I did not pass the Art test lol. Which is okay because if I did I probably would have stupidly minored in something art related.

Never cared to take the AP Physics test, I got a B+ in that class

Hardcore sciences never really interested me

I do wish I went to a Science and Technology high school though

I was in a program for math and science at one of the top high schools in America (ranked #4 nationally and #1 in the state) and had the opportunity to enroll there but chose not to because I wanted to go to school with my friends.....

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jan 15 2014 at 2:41am
dee1672 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dee1672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

This is definitely my topic of interest. 

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

This is the exact opposite of my experience.*Shrugs*
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 10:16am
is STEM science technology engineering and math?
if so, for science i wouldnt say i was ever discouraged, especially from research
but i know of several programs dedicated to getting minorities into those fields. and im sure they are they out of necessity 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>