Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:34pm
My school didnt even offer an AP Computer Science class, and we were the last predominately AA school in the district. As a matter of fact, I think the only schools who offered this were the mostly white ones.

It's also important to note that white teachers and counselors in mostly white environments are known for discouraging AA and Lationos from taking courses like this, even going so far as to change the schedules of these kids so it creates a conflict with their graduation requirements. 

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Jan 14 2014 at 1:38pm
Sponsored Links

Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:36pm
I'm a Computing & IT graduate and I work for an ICT service provider that employs lots of engineers. There are many female programmers and engineers here and when I was in undergrad we had a a sizeable number of female students in the Computing programme (not so much in the core engineering programmes though). 

This is Jamaica (the island is 90% black) and if we can handle STEM jobs then Black people anywhere in the world can. Someone needs to initiate a programme that encourages women and minorities to take up STEM careers and both groups, particularly minorities, need more visibility in the field.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

This is definitely my topic of interest. 

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

I agree.  I still remember to this day how my counselors discouraged me.  I mean...math is not my thing anyways but it's the principalities.  U tell me flat out I can't do it and I should look into social services?  Not in a reverse psychology type of way but dead ass serious?  I still get mad thinking about it.
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:39pm
I enjoyed my AP / Science and Technology classes.. but that career path is not for everyone.

It is important that parents train and teach their children to challenge themselves academically though.

My Dad has been an engineer for over 30 years.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:46pm
Never knew there was an AP Computer Science test.
Anywho....my kids will be learning how to code early on.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

Them damn classes are hard though
but I believe we can do it

The classes are not hard per se, it's just that you need to practice more and more until you become proficient.  I believe that is the problem because there are people out there who have been exposed to math and sciences at a young age and they have been given opportunities to improve their craft.  An analogy I would like to use is playing an instrument.  If you only do the bare ass minimum, you get minimal results but if you dedicate hours to it, your competency improves.  Anyway I am just paraphrasing in what I have read in this book that talks about learning and competency.  Same can be said about doing hair, makeup, walking in heels, sewing, etc.
Krystal Klear View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Krystal Klear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Umm Sports are one thing ... but I don't see what this has to do with academics in terms of the computer science field.

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM white sports route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 7:47pm
they didn't have an AP CS class at my high school 10 years ago and they still don't. If anybody wanted to take it they gotta do independent study and take the test on their own, get a tutor or go to another high school if they allow it. In fact my school only offered three AP courses, English 3, 4 and art history 

You already know the school is all black and latino

And most of us didn't have a computer in the home to practice on anyway, there were only two working at a time in the lab

Edited by AmiliaCabral - Jan 14 2014 at 7:49pm
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 7:56pm

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

I'm an engineer by education, it's really not that bad. Sorry you are experiencing such discouragement. I think engineers are odd because we have very strong women and minority collegiate organizations (NSBE, SHE, SWE). I had fun in undergrad and grad school and was pretty well adjusted to handle the workplace. I don't want my future kids to be engineers though, science undergrad is ok but advanced degrees are a no-no but that's another topicLOL

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 7:59pm
I took ap courses cuz my brain needed the challenge. Didn't bother with the tests. Not a biggie
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic