Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not a single AA took AP test in CS in 11 States
    Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 12:41pm

Not A Single Female Student Took The AP Computer Science Test In Two States

By Bryce Covert on January 14, 2014 at 11:48 am

"Not A Single Female Student Took The AP Computer Science Test In Two States"

Share:

Girl student takes test

CREDIT: Shutterstock

In Mississippi and Montana, no female students took the Advanced Placement (AP) test in computer science last year. In 47 other states where girls did take the test, they made up less than a third of the test takers, and in Utah they were as low as 4 percent of all test takers. (No students took the test at all in Wyoming.) Out of the 30,000 students who took the test last year, less than 20 percent were girls.

People of color had even lower representation among test takers. Not a single African-American student took the test in 11 states, no Hispanic student took it in eight, and they made up 3 percent and 8 percent of all test takers, respectively. The highest proportion both groups reached were 10 percent for black students in Maryland and 18 percent for Hispanic students in Texas.

Girls and students of color also have lower pass rates on the test than white boys, and black students have the lowest rate of all.

These groups still struggle to be represented in science, technology, engineering, and math jobs, or the STEM field, despite a need for more of these workers and the high pay that they can expect. Women hold just a quarter of these jobs and progress in growing that number has petered out since 1990. Worse, their share of computer jobs has fallen since then. Black workers hold just 6 percent of STEM jobs despite making up 11 percent of the overall workforce, while Hispanics hold 7 percent of the jobs yet are 15 percent of the workforce. White workers hold 71 percent of these jobs.

But if these students aren’t being encouraged or guided into these fields at a young age, that may be part of the reason they hold so few of these jobs. The AP prep course for computer science has students design and create computer programs, hands-on experience that could spark an interest in the field. The new president of the College Board, which oversees the AP exams, has said he is focused on expanding access to underserved groups of students and especially on closing the racial test-taking gap.

Even when women and people of color do manage to make it into these fields, however, they can still expect to be paid less than white men. Women who work in STEM jobs make $75,100 on average, while men make $91,000. Blacks make $75,000 and Hispanics make $77,300, compared to $88,400 for white workers.

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2014/01/14/3160181/test-girls-race/

Edited by tatee - Jan 14 2014 at 12:43pm
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 12:52pm
I'm old. . Didn't even know there was such a thing.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 12:53pm
Ugh...young people aren't going to be useful in the job force, it's kind of scary

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:01pm
Cuz we busy making new dances n sh!tSleepy
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:02pm
This is definitely my topic of interest. 

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

AwesomeAries View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:17pm
Them damn classes are hard though
but I believe we can do it
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:17pm
I have never heard of STEM but as a female AA, I started studying computer science back when there were only mainframe computers .. before desktops, laptops etc. :) My mother was a Computer Programmer wrote programs for NASA in the 1960's ...so I guesa it's in my blood.

I think it is sad that Black folks are not taking advantege of the oppurtunities in this field. I must say .. in all these years I have never experienced workplace harrassment, racial problems etc I have worked at companies like DEC and IBM etc.

Computer work is fairly straight forward - you can;t turn a 0 to a 1 ... just because you are Black.

It does pay well, allows you to go independant and it opens up job oppurtunities for you around the world.

If I had not gotten into computers .. I would still be working some job in The States .. wishing I could work/live in Paris, Naples .. you name it.

The world is your oyster .. IF you have the skills.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 14 2014 at 1:27pm
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:19pm
thanx for the insight CSThumbs Up
Krystal Klear View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Krystal Klear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

This is definitely my topic of interest. 

This is purely anecdotal so take it as such: But I have a huge problem with people in the STEM field, or STEM majors. Its been my observation that these white, asian and indian men think they're the sh*t because they can do a little math or a little coding and they start to get a very elitist attitude. And It's been my experience that they tend to discourage women and minorities from entering in this field because it weakens it to them. Like they all of a sudden wouldn't be special anymore. And I feel most people in society have an implicit attitude that minorities and women can't handle the work and therefore we are discouraged from going the STEM route at a young age. And then when we do decide to enter into the STEM world we're discriminated against: We aren't offered funding for our research, we're paid less, we're subject to workplace harassment, we're not invited to the study groups, etc. 

I agree with this, I also feel that its the same in other corporate positions , high paying civil service jobs, and sports.  Notice they keep the price for hockey, tennis, lacross, and golf VERY HIGH so we cant afford it.   My cousin tried to get her kids in some other sports besides basketball and football, but she couldn't afford it.  I think they are afraid once we get in our superior athleticism will dim their shine
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2014 at 1:29pm
Umm Sports are one thing ... but I don't see what this has to do with academics in terms of the computer science field.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic