It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-Fat Yogurt vs. Full Fat Yogurt for hair
    Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 6:22pm
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167391
I've decided to try and use yogurt to see what it does in terms of loosening my curl pattern( it isnt permanent or anything, I just want to experiment with it). Most of the ladies who have tried it have had great results and say their hair was extremely soft and easy to detangle and their curls were extremely defined. I have a big tub of yogurt in my refridgerator but..its fat free. Do you ladies think it would really make that much of a difference?
Sponsored Links

love_akihsoy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 7:57pm
IDK... I use yogurt as an add-in to my DC's and when I was like 5-7 months post, it really really softened up my NG... but I didn't use the fat-free one, I used full fat...

It can't hurt to try it and see... I think it should at least have some effect...
ImaFabulousDiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 8:09pm
If you do this please let us know because I always buy the full fat for my hair and fat free to eat, but if the fat free does the same thing I won't have to buy extra.
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 11:34pm
NO! Fat free yogurt will not work (trust me, I've tried it). You have to use yogurt with as much fat as possible (I think mine has 9 g. I want to use a yogurt with even more if its possible). Fat free does nothing.
MissMesha View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 2:51am
^ Thanks kwicherbichen!
dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 5:36am
Isn't the lactic acid in the yogurt what causes the difference? How does it differ with full fat and fat free? And what if I add another fat filled ingredient like coconut milk? Would that help? I planned on mixing conditioner, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil(my hair likes oils), the little coconut milk I have left, yogurt, and honey
dynamite23 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 6:07am
Originally posted by dazed& dazed& wrote:

Isn't the lactic acid in the yogurt what causes the difference? How does it differ with full fat and fat free? And what if I add another fat filled ingredient like coconut milk? Would that help? I planned on mixing conditioner, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil(my hair likes oils), the little coconut milk I have left, yogurt, and honey

don't waste your time with non-fat yogurt. I don't completely understand the science behind it but i have been using this method for several months now (using full fat plain yogurt) and it has changed the texture of my hair somewhat.

My hair is 4b and is so much softer and easier to combSmile. It seems to absorb moisture so much better than before. I have a reaaaaaally thick head of hair and in the past i had a very difficult time retaining moisture through out the day. Now its not even a problemClap

How i use it:

I apply the yogurt to my hair like i would conditioner, i let it sit for about 4-5 hrs.

Then I add a cheap conditioner like v05 to my hair, cover it up with a shower cap, wrap my hair up and go to sleep. I wake up and wash my hair and I cannot believe how soft it is. Not to mention my shrinkage is not as pronounced as it used to be.

I try to  use it bi-weekly. If i'm really lazy I use it 1x for that monthSmile

Edited by dynamite23 - Apr 21 2010 at 6:08am
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 10:02am
ITA w/ the other ladies that stated to use Full fat. I tried w/o fat and it didn't elongate my pattern, but it was soft. It's the latic acid and the combo of the fat that gives you the desired results.

sidenote: If u use coconut milk either get the one w/o pulp and/or strain the milk so you won't have pulp and/or bits of coconut in ya hair. HTHBig%20smile
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 12:43pm
Thanks Dynamite!

I realized that I haven't been leaving it on long enough.  It's been working great in my conditioner mixes though.
dazed& View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 3:26pm
So could nonfat yogurt do ANYTHING for my hair? I kinda need to use it up and I don't wanna eat it..and I don't like smoothies
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic