Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

non believers who come from religious families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i also remember saying...well if i am going to be expected to tithe now (we got our own personalized envelopes after confirmation was completed) i wanted to know a little bit more about how the money was being spent...lol

LOLLOL

I aint even mad at cha'. More people need to ask that question for real.
Sponsored Links

petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 7:19pm
I am a lover of God but I don't believe in a lot of things that christians believe in. I hate the religious facade of christianity. I just chose to love God and have a relationship the way that I chose to. I don't believe you have to be under a pastor and I can't stand all of the ranks of church like Pastor, deacon, bishop, apostle, missionary, jr deacon etc. I think its unnecessary. I went to a very strict controlling church and it opened up my eyes a lot. I don't really want to be a part of any "church" now. I would rather travel and talk to others about my beliefs instead of sitting in a building and giving away all of my money to pay the church rent, pastor, and musicians and listening to christians talk to others christians about how christian they are. I would rather donate my money to charities and the needy. I had a pastor tell me that my family needed a covering to recieve all that God has for me. But I just don't believe or agree with that. Why do I need a middle man when I can talk to God just like he can. I don't mind fellowship but I just don't like the whole ranking and the mentality.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

nonbelievers who come from religious familes, how did you come out to your fam and what was their reaction?

if you're still in the closet, how do you fly under the radar? do you bow your head and participate in prayer with the family? 

I still believe but I've become unitarian and no longer believe trinity doctrine.  I just told my folks.  It's nice to be grown Cool  They don't agree but they don't trip either.

if this thread is a repost please provide a link so i can read the responses.

BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 9:49pm
My parents don't mind that I don't believe in god. We rarely have discussions about religion and if we do, it's very brief. I haven't told my grandmother that I don't believe in God cuz I know it's gonna make her upset and she's gonna  bother me about going to church. Umm I rather avoid that so I'm keeping quiet.

When she says the prayer before eating, I just bow my head and look at my food lol
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i also remember saying...well if i am going to be expected to tithe now (we got our own personalized envelopes after confirmation was completed) i wanted to know a little bit more about how the money was being spent...lol

TC was lookin' for annual reports and receipts.  I ain't eem mad.LOL 
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2013 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I grew up in an extremely religious family (pastors, Bishops, Divinity school deans, etc). I don't know if I was ever a believer but I knew that I wasn't by around age 16. I didn't have a coming out talk or anything.  Now, when my mom talks about her beliefs, I don't argue with what she believes but I let her know that I don't.

Even before I became a non believer, much of what the church teaches (and my mom believes) I didn't support and would question them on why they believed in it or taught against.

eta: I will still go to church services and events  because I don't mind it. I like choir singing. When my brother did his ordination sermon, I was the first to jump up to read for him (church folks will know what I mean lol)
Heart

I remember being 5 or 6 at daytime bible camp side eying my friends who were so excited seeing singing 'Father Abraham'. I remember thinking why are they so excited about a guy we will never met? That feeling of confusion was always there until I stopped trying to believe in something that wasn't for me. My mom knows I'm agnostic and so do some friends but that's it.

I go to church to make my dad happy when I visit.

Edited by carolina cutie - Dec 11 2013 at 3:24am
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 2:28am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I go to church to make my dad happy when I visit.

that's so sweet. I think it's a small thing really, to go for him. 

I do have sibs who are JW and they will not put a foot inside a church for any reason.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 3:23am
^It's a family church and my grandma really helped restart the tradition a few years before she died. If I know what's good for me Purp, I'll show up lol. I like being around family but I know if I said I was agnostic older family members would look at me like I admitted to a horrible crime.

I skip Sunday bible study though. I am not sitting in church for 4+ hours.LOL
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 4:48am
The closest people in my life friends and some family are all super religious .. But oddly religion never comes up

I'm super tight with my sis (she was the first person I called when I lost/found my keys) and she's super spiritual and all that .. And religion has only come up maybe once in conversation I the past 23 years .. And it wasn't a why don't you go to church etc ..she just said maybe try praying then we just looked at each other and burst out laughing and hugged. Lol this was a few years ago..

I've never had to come out ..

My personal experience has probably jaded me a bit about the relationships between atheists/apatheists and makes me side eye the them vs us discussions on bhm about religion. I've never experienced irl these arguments. My bffs in high school and uni super religious .. My BFF now is the son of a bishop and is heavily involved at church .. My lil recently got born again .. My female buddies are tight with god and I can count up 8/10 people in my immediate circle who are super cool with god and the conversations never come up.. It's all respectful and non judgemental

My peoples rock

I'm sure they're probably praying for me tho.. Whilst I keep toasting to good life on their behalf
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2013 at 4:54am
I have a mix of beliefs in my close friend circle too and you're right Afro, nobody trips.  That's what I love about friends.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>