Mynx Hair

Author
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

This is an interesting discussion.

IMO, I always thought 4C meant extremely coily strands to the point where it wouldn't clump or "marry" with the strands adjacent to it.
Well this group was made up by people who felt they did not fall on the number chart, which I do not like by the way. But I use it when discussing hair on forums so people can better understand what I am saying. If something is extremely coily then it is curly, because coil is a form of curl. Blood coils under a microscope the Universe coils.That is what makes our Afro hair so fascinating. I wish we would study the fascinating part of how wonderful our hair is, instead of saying what our hair is not. Water and products make the hair clump. Your hair does not have to clump together to achieve a curly style. There are many definitions out there because this is not a term used in teaching hair. Historically most of us always knew our hair was curly. It is when people could not achieve wash n goes that they started this my Afro hair does not grow coily.
Sponsored Links

rubynaturalprincess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Originally posted by rubynaturalprincess rubynaturalprincess wrote:

Im sorry OP but 4c does exist, im living proofLOL trust me my hair  only looks like that when Im put henna in it.  And darkerthanbrown.com is exactly how my hair looks and behaves like. That blog is my go-to site if im having a hair crisis.

The girl in the vid has a looser curl pattern, almost 4a/4bish. My hair looks like small spring coils up close and shrinkage is about 75%. I dont know about anyone else but I dont have the desire to make my curl pattern seem more defined, in my opinion it already is. Thanks for the vid though in case I may want a looser looking style one day, I'll check it out. 

The lady in the video is 4c not 4a/b what you are seeing is hair that is in good condition and a coil that has been defined by a product. She has stated that she is 4c.  This video is only for those who desire to achieve wash and goes but have not been able to, not all desire all styles. I do not wear a wash and go. I mostly wear twist....If you would like more information her youtube page consist of other 4c women giving styling tips on how they work with their 4c hair......I do not believe 4c hair exist, Afro hair is curly hair. But I do tell people if that believe that to be true for themselves then it will be their truth. This thread is to help those who do not subscribe to 4c hair. All afro hair is curly, there are just degrees of curl patterns. Some require different products and techniques to achieve a wash and go than others. It is about knowing your hair and spending time with getting to know it without extensions or wigs.
  Very true OP! All afro hair is curly. But I do believe that "4C" is prob the tightest curl. Its not a death sentence as some believe, its beautiful. As for wash n go's i've done them but not with the intent of having results like the woman in the video because her curl pattern is naturally looser than mine. I can achieve that look with techniques and products like you stated but I have no desire to, like I stated. I've been natural my whole life and understood my hair for a long time enough to know how it behaves and still had the time to rock wigs and extensions when I felt like it, if anything wigs and extensions give some women time to learn about there hair, if they have never learned about it before. 

Different strokes for different folks, have a blessed one! 
rubynaturalprincess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:27pm
Here is the video that Malexandre posted the link to, it worked for me when I used the link......

Great discussion piece OP!  this brings light to a very interesting topic about the categorization of hair natural hair patterns. 

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by rubynaturalprincess rubynaturalprincess wrote:

Here is the video that Malexandre posted the link to, it worked for me when I used the link......

Great discussion piece OP!  this brings light to a very interesting topic about the categorization of hair natural hair patterns. 

Good video!
mediagirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 5:45am
The only way I can get my hair to look like the one in the OP is if I drench my hair in gel. 
That is not a wash and go in the OP...that is a "wash n spend 1 hour on your hair covering it in gel". 
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 5:55am
Originally posted by mediagirl mediagirl wrote:

The only way I can get my hair to look like the one in the OP is if I drench my hair in gel. 
That is not a wash and go in the OP...that is a "wash n spend 1 hour on your hair covering it in gel". 

Lol pretty much.
o0Dreamer0o View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 4:31pm
No her hair is not 4c. I have 4c hair and even when its drenching wet my curls are never loose.
It's aggravating when people don't believe 4c hair exist because then you have a hard time finding someone to give you real good hair tips.

I have tried Nikkimae, Kimmaytube (when her hair was short), SimplYounique, and Naptural85 hair tips. Only to find that they don't work on my hair. Why? Because I'm 4c. My hair doesn't hold curls for long, it frizzes easily, and it never! hangs over my face. Only and only if I do a blow out/twist out it may hang over my face for like an hour. Then it slowly frizzes back up till I look like the dang Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. For real!

If you want a real example of 4c hair and what we have to go through when its pretty short look at this video by BlackWomanScholar  "Tackling the twist out on 4c hair" Then you could really see the struggle we go through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEI5F3OvPws&feature=related

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 7:25pm
May I step in?

My mom is 4abc. Some of her hair strands/pattern looks just like the video rubynaturalhairprincess. I know you don't mean harm Veemack but I will say it is very frustrating and offensive to see people say her hair type does not exist, she's not caring for it right and that's why it is not curly/coily.

I will say there have been some good 4c vids posted in here that I had no idea existed and I will recommend to her! Thank you ladies.Embarrassed
Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 8:10pm
    I don't agree with telling people what their hair is or what it isn't or how it should be if it isnt a certain way...

and thats is not a wash n go, it's a technique named "doodling" that's been done at salons for wavies/curlies/kinkies..it's twirling or smoothing or twirling and smoothing

Edited by Lilnicka4u2nv - Oct 02 2012 at 8:31pm
Malexandre View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 9:39pm
A couple woman talking about 4 c hair 
Very nice video 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytoLMscbHT0&feature=player_embedded
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>