Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No shacking up part of the job requirement...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No shacking up part of the job requirement...
    Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:39am
Do you think the University was wrong for requiring a single woman to not have "overnite guests" as part of her contract?  Let's discuss...

With the limited number of black, female university presidents, we're usually quick to celebrate any woman and college that can add the rare feat to their resume. But one school is catching attention for the bizarre contract it extended to its new president, which forbids her from having potential suitors spend the night in her home for extended periods of time.

You read that right.

Gwendolyn Boyd, the new president of Alabama State University reportedly has a clause in her contract that forbids her from having love interests stay overnight in her presidential residence for extended periods of time, The Birmingham News reports.

According to her contract, the 58-year-old will receive an annual salary of $300,000, a car, and the on campus presidential residence. However, Boyd, who is single and lives alone, is not allowed to cohabitate with anyone with whom she is romantically involved with who is not her husband. She is also forbidden from allowing immediate family members to reside in the home. The stipulation is outlined in a clause in her contract:

For so long as Dr. Boyd is president and a single person, she shall not be allowed to cohabitate in the president’s residence with any person with whom she has a romantic relation.

Boyd, an ASU alum, graduated in 1977 with a bachelors in mathematics. She went on to attend Yale University's School of Engineering in New Haven, Connecticut, becoming the school's first African-American woman to receive a masters degree in mechanical engineering in 1979. She said she has no qualms with the language in the contract.

“I do live alone, so it was not problematic for me,” she said.LOL

However, Raymond Cotton, a lawyer who spoke to Inside Higher Ed about the university's move said the clause could be illegal.

“I don’t know of any state that has the right to invade someone’s residence even if the state owns that residence,” Cotton said. “To convey that residence and dictate what kind of romantic relationship you can have in that facility – I mean, she’s not in prison.”

Boyd's contract duration is for two years, after which the university's board of trustees have the option to decide whether they'd like to extend the agreement for another two years or not.

gwendolyn boyd

Congrats on the job, tho!!

Edited by Tbaby - Jan 15 2014 at 10:41am
Sponsored Links

coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:43am
repost
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:44am
Clear violation of right to privacy, I'd be suspect to its' legitimacy.
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:45am
She's a reverend, seems unnecessary. But she read the contract and signed it, so if she doesn't mind, I'm certainly not going to.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:56am
I can see it being a morality clause--but to prohibit even family members from staying over?  That's got to be illegal. 

Are they watching video of who enters/exits and writing down times?Geek
BrownQtee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownQtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 10:58am
She technically she can have a booty call..he just can't live there. Seems OK to me
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 11:39am
Originally posted by BrownQtee BrownQtee wrote:

She technically she can have a booty call..he just can't live there. Seems OK to me

that would seem reasonable.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:25pm
Instead of worrying about men they need to worried about us (Sorors) turning that place out! lol.... 

Dr. Boyd is AMAZING, period.

bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 12:53pm
Its probably a 'moral' issue, as she isn't married therefore she shouldn't have intimate relations with a non-spouse to set an example for her charges...

i mean it IS the south...
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I can see it being a morality clause--but to prohibit even family members from staying over?  That's got to be illegal. 

Are they watching video of who enters/exits and writing down times?Geek

I think she can have family members visit overnight- they just can't move in. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic